Gibson's QC

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by retaliator, Jan 18, 2008.

1. retaliator

retaliator Member

I put a new chrome scratchplate on my black SG today (it looks the dogs nuts :D) but in doing so had to remove the pickups. I was shocked to see just how bad the finishing was inside the pickup cavities. All the edges were really rough and uneven which means that the pickups sit and an angle rather than parallell with the strings. Also, there were routing marks inside the neck cavity and the tenon was really badly finished (like someone had cut it with a swiss army knife).
    Not sure if anyone else has noticed flaws on their SGs but Gibson really do seem to let a hell of a lot go. I recently tried out a Gibson Explorer. The finish on it was awful... all along the fretboard edge the paint job was really shoddy with orange peel effect all the way along. Considering the money they go for I think its pretty bad. Compare that with Schecter - parts made in Korea and assembled in the U.S. Almost always consistantly flawless and really well set up form the factory - not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper too. I also play bass and go on a Gibson bass forum now and again and a lot of users there complain that their Gibsons, although they sound and play ok are roughly finished. Anyone else noticed this ?

2. Dannyboy

Dannyboy New Member

It's a Gibson- what did you expect? Until folks quit buying them, they'll keep doing the same old same old. When you pick up a Hamer, Carvin, or Rickenbacker you won't see those defects. It's been the same way since the Norlin years. Just buy used Gibsons and send the message!

3. philosopher

philosopher Member

To be honest, there's no point in finishing the pickup cavities.
    I've seen other guitars with unfinished cavities (a jem comes to mind), but fretboard edges, bad paint jobs, hand cutting frets and so on is another story.

4. retaliator

retaliator Member

[quote author=philosopher link=topic=16104.msg204431#msg204431 date=1200947876]
    To be honest, there's no point in finishing the pickup cavities.
    [/quote]

You would think so, but in this case, it was so uneven that the pickups didn't sit properly, they were tilted forward. I had a go at sanding the cavity which made a bit of an improvement but for fear of damaging the guitar I stopped short of sanding it level. I'll never buy a new Gibson now (the last I bought was my faded SG). Compare these with Burny and Greco and even Orville guitars and Gibson come a poor second.

5. hamish5178

hamish5178 Member

In any large guard SG the pickups will not be parallel to the strings, it's been talked to death on here.

6. mandoleer

mandoleer New Member

I just dropped my virginal EE SG at the Custom Shop here in Nashville because the fretboard binding still had caked polishing compound on it. The guys at the shop, including the Operations Manager, agreed that it was wrong, and they are fixing it without me having to go through the ordeal of sending it back to the merchant and adding another link to the chain with the associated delays, cost and worry.

Hopefully my geographic access coupled with their acknowledged quality control issues will remind the whole shop that every guitar they put out is someone spending their hard earned cash on a dream.

They can take shorcuts on the comped instuments but not my cash money one.

7. nvosmeier

nvosmeier New Member

I just got a Custom Shop 1960 Gibson Les Paul VOS. No quality control issues here! This thing plays and looks great! The setup is flawless. I love the '60s neck, which is thinner than my '57.

8. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

[quote author=nvosmeier link=topic=16104.msg204693#msg204693 date=1201433531]
    I just got a Custom Shop 1960 Gibson Les Paul VOS. No quality control issues here! This thing plays and looks great! The setup is flawless. I love the '60s neck, which is thinner than my '57.

[/quote]

With that thing? It had damn well be issue free!

9. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

In the faded series they skip a lot of things on the production line in order to have an american made product avail to you for cheeeaaaap! From what I've seen the fadeds have pickup cavities that look chissiled (sp) and when you go one step up like a les paul studio, they have routed cavities.. You want QC? buy a standard....... Its just that simple

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I don't know about the lower end GIbsons all having issues. My son has a black SG special (gloss not faded) and it is finished very nicely. I have a Lp doublecut that is in the faded tv yellow finish and although the finish on it was rough as can be, it was setup great and plays fantastic. I think it just comes down to individual guitars. Some good and some not so good. Occasionally you find a great one and occasionally you find a dud.

why I either buy local or at mail order store with no questions asked return policy on guitars. I would not hesitate to return a new guitar if it had issues.

11. RockinRobert

RockinRobert Member

My 06 Classic has no issues, and it is considered a cheaper SG. I have had the pickgaurd off also, no issues underneath. Happy with mine!