Glenn Tipton Black SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Jezclayton, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    That's my favorite SG.

Best I can do is my 2004 SG Classic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

F^^ked up my post again but what the hell. Been watching the 1983 US Festival and in particular Judas Priest, which got me thinking. I want to recreate the guitar he uses but have some questions. A picture of a similar one is shown above, though I would probably use ivory type machine heads which look better. I do know his guitars were generally sprayed black as opposed to original. I know he used an EMG81 at the bridge position and Gibson humbucker at neck and I also have a photo of the electric cavity. What I want info on is:

1. Is the guitar a classic or special - Bound fingerboard with no headstock logo. Looks like a fairly chunky neck so thinking classic?
    2. Anyone know what year his main black SG was?
    3. What is the wrap around tail piece fitted?
    4. Anything else that Tipton fanatics might know.
    Cheers

4. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

That is a good starting point and seems to tick the boxes. I love my 2000 special with ebony fingerboard so it seems I might be looking for an early 2000s classic, throw out the black pickguard and PAFs and go chrome guard with EMG81 and Gibson Humbucker. I can use the PAFS on another project, so I won't literally be throwing them out!

Rick and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

They didn't make SG Classics in 1983.

Tipton's SG at the US Festival is most likely a late 60's SG Special with the following modifications:

1. Refinished to black
    2. P-90's removed, routed for humbuckers
    3. Short Vibrola removed
    4. Klusons with green keys
    5. Chrome Batwing
    6. Speed Knobs

Stock Late 60's SG Special

Batwing
    Bound neck with dots
    P-90's
    Short Vibrola with Wraparound Bridge
    Witch Hat Knobs
    3-on-rail tuners, small white keys
    1-9/16 nut width

My first SG was a 1969 SG Special that I purchased second hand in the 1980's. Previous owner had removed the short vibrola and wraparound bridge and installed a Leo Quan Badass bridge, gold speed knobs, Schaller tuners.

[​IMG]

KS 5150, Jezclayton and pancake81 like this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

The things I learn....

Jezclayton and cerebral gasket like this.
  7. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Awesome guitars folks!!

1983.... what a wonderful time to be a teen in the USA. I saw some awesome shows throughout the early to mid 80's at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD including Priest!

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That looks like a bastardised Badass/Strat saddle bridge.

Jezclayton and cerebral gasket like this.
  9. cerebral gasket

I agree about the bridge.
    They never get all the details on reissues or signature models correct.

After looking at the video again, it appears to be a stock lightning bar wraparound bridge. While the screen capture is not clear, one can barely see that the bridge is not smooth like an uncompensated wraparound without lightning bar.

[​IMG]

61-62 SG Specials had the smooth non-lightning bar installed at an angle in relation to the pup where in 63, when they switched to lightning bar version, it was installed more parallel to the pup.

Jezclayton likes this.
  10. DrBGood

Nope. look at it again, the last close images we see the adjustable saddles and the end prongs are too long and straight to be from a wraparound. Only the Leo Quan Badass has those sticking out like that.

But definitively not the same as on the first photo of this thread.

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Maybe these pics will help...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. cerebral gasket

Much clearer photos.
    I knew I had seen adjustable saddles on that SG in the past. Not sure if it an actual Leo Quan Badass or not, but is similar style. I notice that one has nylon saddles and the screws that adjust it against the post are shorter.

The one I had on my 69 SG Special was a Leo Quan Badass and had metal saddles with longer screws against the posts.

koaguilds likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

Jezclayton likes this.
  14. DrBGood

Cloiser to a pigtail, but not it either.

[​IMG]

koaguilds and cerebral gasket like this.
  15. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The first pic looks similar to a John Birch:
    5F347C2A-AE31-4445-9D8D-E4CCB1B4ABE7.jpeg

16. cerebral gasket

I don't know why they put that bridge on that Custom Shop SG. It doesn't look anything like the one on the SG Special that he toured with in 82-83. Also I have never seen EMG pups on his SG either.

I don't remember seeing EMG pups on his guitars until '84 when they switched to Hamer guitars.

I went to a show during the 2009 tour when they performed the entire British Steel album and he played what looked like the same SG Special from the 82-83 tour.

Jezclayton likes this.
  17. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

Obviously he had the ENG81s since many of the pictures shown are taken from the 83 US Festival show at San Bernardino.

18. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

You are all f^^king awsome. The origional picture I put up is a custom shop replica so we will discard that, though many thanks to skelt101 who seems to have correctly identified the bridge as a John Birch. Most kudos however go to cerebral gasket who has I believe correctly identified the guitar as a late 60's SG Special, along with a Leo Quan Badass type bridge.

To get my Glenn Tipton style guitar, it appears I need to find a 68 or 69 Special and then butcher it. The cost for one of these is about £3,000 in the UK, which is OK but I would want to keep it original. I therefore need an already butchered 69 Special, some of which are routed for humbuckers, and should come in at around £1,500 UK. This should have a mahagony neck w/big c-profile and bound rosewood fretboard with 22 frets, which is perfect. Originally it would come with Gibson "Pat.Nr."-Tune-O-Matic bridge and Maestro tremolo tailpiece, both of which can be discarded in favour of a Badass. I would be loathe to route (vandalise) the pickup cavities if not already done, so any guitar I buy must be pre-butchered, after which I can install an ENG81 at the bridge and Gibson Tarback at the neck, along with chrome batwing. I would like to put on, or retain the original ivory pegs (kluson?) just because that is what Tipton had, but frankly staying in tune would be paramount. I guess they do Schallers with ivory pegs.

I know noting about the ENG81s, my main question being is the active power obligatory or optional and what do you think Tipton would have had?. I see no evidence of any switching circuit, plus know that he uses a MXR Distortion+ pedal.

Lastly I add a much better photo of the guitar in question.

Glenn Tipton Black SG cropped.jpg

PS - This looks perfect and if I lived in Ohio I would be knocking on the man's door. https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/69-sg-special.35546/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  19. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

You can see it quite clearly at 02:02 but of course the dude fails to mention what the bridge is...

20. cerebral gasket

That video clears up what I saw at the 2009 show was a replica, not exact copy of the one he toured with in 82-83.

The one from 82-83 did not have pup cover over bridge position pup like an EMG. I think the only reason the replica had an EMG was because that’s what he was using when they switched to Hamer guitars to be consistent.

Regarding the bridge I wouldn’t be so worried about it being exact. Just use a Pigtail, Leo Quan or similar and be done with it.

The main thing is the core of the guitar is a heavily modified 60’s SG Special finished in black with chrome batwing and humbuckers. Don’t forget the pup rings on the batwing.

Tipton’s SG was the first one I saw with pup rings on top of a batwing, even before I found out that Angus was doing it with the bridge position pup only.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    pancake81 and koaguilds like this.