Glenn Tipton Black SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Jezclayton, Aug 1, 2020.

1. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Just get an SG Special, since you're going to be painting it black, plug the holes for the stop bar, drill out the bridge holes, add the inserts and a wrap around bridge. Why ruin a valuable vintage guitar? I have a 68/69 special and it has a '60's neck carve, they all weren't "fat '50's".

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Define "ruin"...

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

A vintage late '60's SG Special with a repaired neck or headstock break done right would be a great candidate for this project. Even after the initial cost of the instrument and all the modifications, it would still cost less than the Custom Shop model.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. Von Trapp

If you look at the things you own as having a monetary value then you don't really own anything. If you own something you do what ever you want with it.

Demon Dave and rotorhead like this.
  5. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Ruin....taking a vintage guitar which will never be replaced, removing the P90 pickups, routing the body for humbuckers and repainting the original finish. You can use a current guitar, a special (ok no bound fingerboard) or one of the Pelham Blue or Burgandy P90 equipped SG's. There are other options. When you can walk into a store and buy it off the rack you can do whatever you want with it. When it's 50 years old you should show it some consideration.

6. Von Trapp

I would say that's highly subjective then. I had a -63 VW once and put a VW Bus engine in it. That sure felt like an improvement to me, I can tell you!

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don't see the difference in modifying 60's guitars in the late 70's that are 10-15 years old at the time compared to doing it 50 years later. People are going to modify whatever instruments were contemporary for that time period.

Guitars are tools, not museum pieces. They're meant to be played and if a player decides to modify it to their preference, then so be it.

If you want to discuss "ruin", how about that guy from a certain band that used to smash these SG Specials up at shows for attention?

8. Von Trapp

Indeed, THAT'S ruining! BTW, Paul Stanley had his own version of this. First time I ever saw a Kiss concert from the stand I could look backstage and side stage. Two things that ruined the experience (apart from the cheapo "3D" bullsh!t they had on the monitors): During Ace's guitar solo, Paul Stanley pranced off to the side and exchanged his guitar for some cheap crap that looked the same as the real one, that some roadie gave him straight out of a box. Then at the end of the song he whacked it four times with the side down against the stage, the fifth time he turned it so it hit the stage with its back and it smashed. Although he saved a real guitar I still found it a bunch of cheap ass trickery...

The second thing was seeing Peter Criss stumble down behind his drum kit and with the help of a roadie put his platforms on to perform Beth. Then he stumbled back and changed to sneakers again...

After the show I thought to myself "Can this get worse?" It could, now they're half a tribute band....

On a side note; when I saw them in the eighties I actually caught the guitar neck he threw out in the audience and that was a real guitar.

Demon Dave likes this.
  9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

koa, me too from the baltimore county to cap center contingent.

koaguilds likes this.
  10. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Howdy neighbor!
    Reston,VA group here.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  11. chilipeppermaniac

Koa, believe it or not, I worked in landscaping as 18 yr old and worked at the fella's house who ran the Demolition company that imploded the Cap Center.

The demo footage is incredible but sad for me to watch.

koaguilds likes this.
  12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I would definitely NOT use the guitar in the case as an example as it is not the same guitar.. lighter rosewood and 1 11/16 nut width.. I have a '76 with the 1 9/16 nut and you can certainly tell the difference.. Looks like glenn's was most definitely skinny nut post 1965.. I saw them many times and remember this guitar but never took notice of those details as a kid. That tail piece does look like a badass to me .. I'd look for a later version of the CLASSIC with the worn finish.. not an early one with gloss and rework that.. There are some great wraparounds on the market today, I dont particually like my Badass bridge on my Malcolm gretsch clone.. it tends to lean forward and does not sit low on the guitar.. STEWMAC has a great low profile wraparound https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...PXDtUmck35tXAKPSTBsQxAoUk3Q8-siBoCzLIQAvD_BwE

Try looking for a deal on a well repaired headstock break.. you will be refinishing it anyway..

Looks like a nice project.. Cheers!

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  13. Rick

Rick New Member

Well... you can see from my profile pic, between the cat and the '63 Standard, is a year 2000 Special that had been 'ruined' with Invaders and a hand-brushed black paint job over a maybe original white finish. The original owner told me it was a 2011 with an aftermarket ebony fretboard. Anyways, I stripped it down to mahogany, recouped the 2000 serial number (so the ebony was original), routed for a Gibson branded Kahler, cherry coated it, and stuck in a Duncan Holdsworth and a neck Burstbucker.
    But now that I saw that Tipton SG... I need another SG...

ruster1 likes this.
  14. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Having looked at the pic of GT holding his modded Special it appears to me that the bridge is a late '70s (Japanese) copy of the Quan bridge but with a centre "leg" at the front of the bridge which allows the tilt angle to be adjusted. I have a similar bridge on one of my guitars. The Custom Shop SG that the tech pulls out of the rack has a John Birch style bridge - but is it a genuine JB or a Gibson copy?
    Have fun doctoring your guitars. If you want to mangle a '60s Special that's your right!

15. Von Trapp

Yeah, that's completely ruined. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you...

16. chilipeppermaniac

Ruster, Nice to meet a fellow 1976 SG owner. Yup,I have the 1 9/16 width nut on my white '76 Std. Does yours have the Tarback Super humbucker pickups?

17. chilipeppermaniac

Jazzclayton, I have this DVD,

Glenn definitely showcases this SG in it.

ruster1 likes this.
  18. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Hey Chili-P.. no.. I got this one while searching for a project guitar.. was refinished in a satin walnut and had a nicely repaired headstock break. I really wanted a 70's style SG without dipping into the early 70's "deluxe" range.. and wanted to try the narrow nut.. got it in December of 2018 and went to work on it.. found it had 490R (installed backwards) in the neck and a 498T in the bridge which sounded very good.. inside the pup cavity I found silver sparkle paint.. and a well repaired dowel filled hole in the control cavity.. may have been a 70's disco era spank machine at one time.. long story short.. i like my ACDC.. so i needed frets as those wide-low frets of the day were sitting at 0.022" but was still playable.. just grabbing too much fretboard.. new nut.. tough decision picking fretwire as no going back.. settled on JESCAR 47104 and like them. Wanted T-top sounds.. so went with Craig Vineham in Canada for a set of 6070 Classics true to the period.. FANTASTIC PUPS.. reasonable cost considering Can $.. I have not played tarbacks.. but my next Norlin era will have them for sure..

19. chilipeppermaniac

Ruster, where in Pa are you? Over South of Hanover here.

Also, My 76 was super clean off white Standard of what I determined is a Cream finish. It had had EMG's in it but also had the TARBACKS and original pots, wiring and switch all included in the case.

White SG StdEMGS.jpg

20. chilipeppermaniac

Tell me if you see the picture. I forget if I have to post only PIC Hosting links for people to see em in this forum.