Go-to Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Karathas, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Just wondering what pedals people find indispensable and as a result have them on almost all the time.

For me, I see to have my Strymon Flint on all the time...Love the Harmonic Tremelo..its so subtle and usually have on the plate reverb along with it.

Been using my Throttle box alot too..have it on whenever im doing crunch...I really like the low gain setting and find it awesome for doing blues..

2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I Use the Joyo Us dream and lately Ehx Crayon a lot . since I have all tube amps half of which have no gain knob
    so in order to dirt crunch break up I gotta have a pedal .

3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

ISP Technologies Decimator G-String II
    MXR 10-band EQ

RVA likes this.
  4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

& use the guitar volume to go from clean to OD to fuzz.

5. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

Archer Ikon, its almost always on, lower gain setting, just to give that little spark and very little extra brightness to the humbuggies.

[​IMG]

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I don't have any "always on" pedals as such, but when playing slide, my Analogman Comprossor is always on. The Analogman Beano Boost and the Way Huge Aqua Puss are also in quite frequent use, but only on specific songs, really.

7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Generally, by board is set up: MXR Dynacomp - Bad Monkey - Keeley Fuzz Head - an old DOD chorus - MXR Carbon Copy.

Right now it's set up for playing acoustic. In the center is a Radial PZ-Pre preamp. In the effects loop is the Dynacomp - Digitech Mosaic (12 string effect) - MXR Carbon Copy.

8. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I dont have a board but just plug in what I'm going to play. I have limited experience, but its usually the SHO clone, modded TS-5, and Biyang Tri-Verb, in that order.
    They are not always on.

9. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

That's the way I use my MIAudio Crunchbox...for slide with the gain way down and the volume up just to give it a little boost and thickness.

Gahr likes this.
  10. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

isp decimator (always on)
    korg pitchblack custom tuner
    ibanez es-2 echo shifter (most used effect)

i don't too much mess with the clean and dirty sounds i get from my amp (orange cr120) - no compressors, boosts, or drive pedals. BUT i modeled my distortion tone from the sound i originally got out of a whiteface reissue proco rat - so you could in a way say it is a go-to. i sold that pedal once i got the orange head, but later regretted it. i recently rectified my ratless condition by having a buddy custom build a clone for me. the design is inspired by one of my favorite video games of all time, the elder scrolls v: skyrim. this thing sounds so good
    voila.jpg

Dave_Death, Bettyboo and jtcnj like this.
  11. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I don't have a pedal board and rarely use pedals but I would not skip on a TC Electronic Polytune. It is extremely convenient.

I relay a lot on the AMP for OD/Dist, but once in a while a Fulltone OCD or Boss Blues Driver for color. I would said you need one of those on your arsenal.

Now while I may not use this a lot, they are a lot of fun to have and certainly have a place in my creative thoughs; MXR Micro Chorus, MXR Carbon Copy, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Micro Flanger, MXR M-108 Classic Fuzz, Boss DS-1 (Vintage), Boss DD-7 Digital Delay, Dunlop Cry Baby Whah and TC Electronics DITO.

Since I have switch from Marshall to EVH and the EVH 50W head do not have reverb, I am in the market for one.

Finally I have been looking in to Digitech's TRIO+. I think is a extremely convenient tool.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  12. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

Electro Harmonix Big Muff. Any kind.

I have a Double Muff that I left at work for everybody to try on our lunchbreak jams. Can go from overdrive to distortion to fuzz. It ended up almost always being used by one of us, and sounded equally good on bass as guitar.

At home I have a Germainium Big Muff 4, and it's definitely one of my favorite pedals. Overdrive on one side, distortion on the other, a voltage knob for mimicking a 9volt batter running out of juice. So much fun.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I have one of those too, and I let a friend borrow it, as he said he was interested in trying out a fuzz style pedal. After a week he gave it back and said he wasn't impressed, said his ss practice amp could do everything the Muff could - I found these comments very strange and wondered if he actually had the Muff powered up at all, but hey, takes all sorts, and he's a good player, so up to him I guess. I reckon the G4 BM is great value for such a versatile pedal.

Funnily enough, I've let another friend take the pedal for the last week or so, and he loves it, says it got him writing new songs - gotta be a good sign!

14. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Sounds like you use a reasonable amount of gain. In that case have a look at the pedals from EarthQuaker Devices. I have had great success with their Ghost Echo in the loop of my Peavey 6534+. A friend of mine has their Afterneath pedal, which combines reverb with delay and is an excellent pedal. If I didn't already have a Carbon Copy might have bought that instead.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  15. belleswell

belleswell Active Member

I have Strymons Timeline and Big Sky on quite a bit. Sometimes instead of the Timeline I'll use the Vox Time Machine. In my dirt pedals I have a Wample Pinnacle, Analogman King of Tone, Soul Food, a Sonic Stomp, and a Vox Ice Nice. If I'm recording into my pc, I'll use a combination of these. If I'm playing through my fave amp, a Marshall 6100 30th anniversary with EL 34s, then all I occasionally add for some dirt is the Ice Nice OD. This amp has all of the od/distortion I could ever want. I love channel 2. It basically ended my quest for dirt pedals. Another I use a lot is a Whammy DT, mainly for the raised or more often, lowered tunings. The Wizard Wah often gets some play as well.
    Cheers, J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016