Good MiJ SG copies?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by AD04, Sep 27, 2021.

1. AD04

AD04 New Member

Been looking at a few MiJ SG copies but really don't know or cant tell which ones are the good ones and which ones are the bad ones. Any advice on buying old MiJ Sg's in the UK?

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Only one piece of advice: Play before you buy, it is the only way to really evaluate a used guitar, especially when dealing with those made by companies that may not even exist any longer and have little to no information to go on. I have a MiJ Les Paul that is really good, but it was purchased from a Luthier who gave it some love before I even got to try it out. I have no idea what it was like before he got it, and I have no idea who made it originally other than "made in Japan". It is pretty well built though, so they do exist.

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Epiphone MIJ are really great guitars, here '61 RI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Since Epiphone is a Gibson owned and operated company, I would argue that they are not "copies" as such, but they are usually really nice, and are a good option on a budget. My understanding of the OP was in reference to actual "copies" Made in Japan under a different brand unaffiliated with Gibson. Some were completely unbranded (or had fragile decals that flaked off immediately) and there was a whole host of lawsuits in the 1970's against such companies who Gibson accused of violating trademarked aspects of their products.

Some of these guitars were actually very close copies (and objectively quite good), some not so much. There are still some of these floating around out there, and it is sometimes possible to get a really nice player for less than even a used Epiphone. If you are lucky and find a good one for a player's axe they are totally worth grabbing on to, just don't expect to get rich "flipping" them. They just don't command those big collector dollars no matter how good they are. There are some people who collect them (at "fire sale" prices it is pretty easy to get a nice collection for the "working stiff" with a yen to get into collecting), but most are used by novice players, or semi-pro's who need a cheap but playable axe.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The Tokai MIJ guitars are really nice. Their Vintage series is on par with regular Gibsons, and their Premium series is custom shop quality.

Bbr6704 likes this.
  6. AD04

AD04 New Member

Are any of the newer made in china Tokai's any good, as most of the reviews online are in Taiwanese are don't have any proper reviews and only demos.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Yes, the Traditional series are MIC and are great guitars, better quality than Epiphone. I have two Tokais from that series. The newer Legacy series are the cheaper MIC guitars, but still quite good for the money.

Traditional LP Special

[​IMG]

Traditional Firebird

[​IMG]

8. Kirk Dahnke

Kirk Dahnke Member

I have a 90s Burny MIJ that I love. It's in my avatar. Seems like you can get a better deal than on the 80s ones.

9. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 Member

Tokai are for sure nice guitars (the japanes ones are really great, tried a chinese once, it was a good guitar too!), but prices are quite high too, and "vintage" used one can be expensive nowadays.

Known brand can have good to very good ones, but meh too, depending on the grade of the guitar.

If you're looking for an old one, Tokai, Burny, Ibanez, Hondo, and some Yamaha (there were some Lp lawsuit, I guess SGs too, plus the Yamaha Sg) can be good guitars too, but as with every brand, you have entry level ones, high end ones, and nearly everything in between.

As said before, it's preferable to try before you buy if you can.