good price on a Standard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by anthoney, Apr 14, 2005.

1. anthoney

anthoney Guest

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. However, I've been an SG fan for a long time and I've used this site more than a few times. I just recently discovered this forum and I've been addicted since :D

Anyway, I recently found a used 2004 Gibson SG Standard in heritage cherry w/ Gibson HSC. The guitar seems to be about as close to mint as a used guitar can be. Right now, the store is holding it for me but I thought I would check with the experts to see if I'm getting a good price. They want $899 US for it.

I've always dreamed of owning a Standard. I've considered just going with the Faded Special but I think I would regret it in the long run. All opinions are welcome!

Thanks

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Boy, if it's in good shape, that sounds like a steal. I used to have a Standard -- I absolutely loved it. Go for it!

3. anthoney

anthoney Guest

Right on, that's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

4. jigman

jigman Member

Its a decent deal but consider this:

$899.00 + Tax is just shy of $1,000.00 clams

At guitar center (ouch) I paid $1,000.00 which included a case and warranty. For another $100.00 plus a little you could have a brand new one.

But if its in as good condition as you say it really is a great deal. You wont be sorry. I'm 46 years old and the SG STD is absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt the best AXE i've ever played/owned. It just allows you to express yourself in almost every way. It has made me a better player.
    The lesser guitars ive owned up until I got the SG, made me ready for the moment when I got the worlds best sounding, fastest necked and coolest looking guitar ever made.

5. Noise Punk

Noise Punk New Member

Call Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin. I recently got a brand new SG Standard from them for $980 shipped, including a new Gibson hard shell case.

www.davesguitar.com

6. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG anthoney! :D :D :D

7. anthoney

anthoney Guest

Thanks for the advice everyone, and thanks for the welcome Six String! I decided to take the plunge...after all there is a 30 day return policy. I can't believe how good the neck feels. It's very smooth and wide, just the way I like it. I need to change the strings and and adjust the pickups, etc. but so far I'm extremely happy. It also balances really well on a strap. I've heard of people having problems with it being neck heavy. I've also had problems on a couple Epi SGs I've owned and a Gibson SG Special I owned for 2 or 3 days, but this one hangs very naturally. I'll try to get some pictures up later if anyone is interested. Thanks again!

8. guitarshred

guitarshred Guest

Good choice, my friend... and welcome. You are in for hours and hours of enjoyment.... I love my SG Standard....Best guitar I have ever owned.... Rock till ya Drop!!

Shred :twisted: