Got what I believe is a 1974 Gibson SG - Pictures

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Time Warp, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

This guitar has probably been at my house since around 1985 or so.

Saw an older ad on gBase for what looks like the exact same make and model that sold for $2495, they had it listed as a Deluxe and I had thought it was a standard. I'd like to know if mine is a 74 and if it's a standard or special.

Have no idea how many of these are still around but I read that between 1972 and 1986 Gibson only made 260 SG's with the tremolo, I have no idea how many 74's were made but would be nice to know.

It has some wear, for the age, I'd say minor scratches, no cracks and it plays good from what I can tell. Has Gibson tuners and the bigsby tail piece is stamped Gibson.

The bigsby arm is currently off, I have it with the spring but is difficult for me to get back on.

I wanted to post some pictures but not sure how unless it's the manage attachments button. I'll try it and see if I can upload a file url with photo bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

3. mrk

mrk Active Member

That is a 1974 SG Standard, I've got one just like it. The tip-off for the year is the larger space between the pickups than previous years - it's nearly impossible to find a vintage replacement pickguard for this year because of the pickup spacing. Not sure about the production numbers, however.

MRK

4. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

Thanks for the input MRK. I found another one that appears to have sold for around $4300 in 2007 in what appears to be about the same shape as mine. Do you have any idea on what the median value should be for one in good working condition and good appearance? I've looked and don't currently see any for sale right now and the only thing I have to base a price on is the 2 previous sales I've already mentioned.

As far as Gibson guitars, what I have left are (2 'The Paul's') 1 blonde Gibson Marauder and this SG shown.

Thanks again.

Dave C

5. Cloudless

Cloudless New Member

Does it have fretboard binding? I can't quite tell from the photo (not sure if you have mult photos, I can only see one from work). Binding would be standard, and no binding would mean something else I'd think. Otherwise it looks exactly like my 74, tremolo and all. I would be very surprised to find this year and model selling for the prices you mentioned, I think that would be much lower on average. Many here like them, but the Norlin era guitars aren't highly regarded by all.

6. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

No fretboard binding. Even with the block inlays, I'd say it's a special. Worth around the $2000 mark.

7. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Lovely Axe you got there!

8. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

Cloudless, there's no binding and here's a picture. Hi Alex 673, I'm surprised to hear that about the price, do you have a reference url's where your seeing those prices for the 74 SG's with tremolo?, I'd like to be able to use the reference myself? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Hey TimeWarp. Just googled value '74 SG special. Came up with an AVERAGE of the prices listed on various sites. Hope it helps!

10. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

I should be off the grill in about an hour and will definitely check it out.

11. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

Man, I've looked for the past hour straight. I don't see anymore 74 SG's with the factory gibson tremolo that have sold. I did find a red one currently for sale for $4200. I'm starting higher and see what the market sings. Thanks again for the help and I'll stop back in sometime. Maybe I can help someone by answering a question for them one day.

12. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

a few 74/75 SG Standards were made without fretboard binding, but with ebony boards.
    a SG Special from that period would not have the harmonica bridge, diff pickup spacing, and of cos would not have the flowerpot inlay on the headstock.

13. Time Warp

Time Warp New Member

Hey everdying, So now I'm back to it's not a special lol. It's a shame the serial numbers back then weren't better documented. The number is 302759 but about all I could get was the year and I'm not 100% on that but pretty confident it's a 74.

Thanks for steering me back in the right direction.

14. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

easiest way, provided the pots are original, is to check the codes on them.

funny that you should find one that sold for $4300 back in 2007, cos i have never seen one sell for more than $2000 before.
    so the question is, was it actually sold for $4300? or was that what the owner was asking for?
    there's even one on ebay now, albeit slightly modified, priced at $1949.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-GIBSON-SG-WALNUT-VINTAGE-EXCELLENT-TONE-PLAYING-CONDITION-/221126606301?pt=Guitar&hash=item337c2c3ddd

15. BLAM

BLAM New Member

Good luck to the OP. I couldn't get more than £1000 (circa $1500) for my 73 earlier this year. Admittedly mine was in poorer shape but its still a tough market out there.

Hope she finds a nice home anyways.

16. Aqualung

Aqualung Member

Just throwing my 2 cents worth in. Going by what I know, and what I have I'd say that it's a Standard. I have a 74 SG Special, and it differs from yours by having the mini-humbuckers, a single-ply black pickguard, ABR-1 bridge and no inlay in the middle of the headstock. Though I have seen a pic of one Special having the Schaller harmonica bridge.

As for serial numbers, they were all over the place in the first half of the 70's and often were duplicated year by year so they are not always a reliable guide for dating a guitar.

17. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

It's a '74 Standard, and is unlikely to make more than $2000.

Alex_SG likes this.
  18. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

-------------------------------------

I was almost tempted to buy the same kind of SG like yours in the pic back in 1989 when I was looking round for a quality guitar. At the time it sure looked like it had been played alot. I ended up buying a Yamaha RGX Custom (Black). In 1991, the SG bug finally bit me!:)

19. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

l go to alot of guitar shows and always check out the 70s gibsons because they do not fetch the big dollars that the 60s guitars do but can be great players. The most I can ever remember seeing one like yours for would be about $3000 and that would have been a couple years ago when they were still getting good money. Today, vintage guitars have taken a real beat down and I think 2k is about right. Unfortunately, now is not a very good time to sell vintage guitars.

Biddlin likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I had a '73 or '74 SG Deluxe (small block inlays, binding, control panel on the front) with a factory Bigsby. I didn't consider it to be rare or extraordinary for having that feature.

I think I still have an identical spare Bigsby in a box somewhere.

How is the neck on yours? Mine was tiny and the reason I let it go.