Goth G400

telebutcher

Reaction score
Just picked one up for a steal, $140.00cad on Kijiji. Came with some extras too. This will be a project guitar with some mods. I'll have to get my own camera to document the progress.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Chrome or nickel hardware for sure. I want to paint it a TV yellowish shade, must be the telecaster lover in me! I'm really considering Gibsonizing the headstock just to do it for the experience, although they do look better on a SG than the Epi headstock. Probably change the pups, or at least put covers on the stockers.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Ok, here are some update pics. As most of you know, this is what I'm starting with.
81175_raw.jpg

This is similar to what I'm after, minus the large pick guard. I'll be using the goth angel wing.
FadedTVYellowSG.jpg

Some pics of the stripping and sanding progress.
GothG4007.jpg

GothG400.jpg

Maple neck! I thought they were supposed to be mahogany. ???
GothG4008.jpg

Getting close.
GothG400-4.jpg

Taking the opportunity to enhance the bevels a bit.
GothG4004-1.jpg

That's it for now, will post more as work progresses.

everdying

Reaction score
someone else has stripped one of these before, or was it an iommi...
either way, technically its still mahogany but of the asian variety, if not mistaken from the philipines, which is why it looks light.

Dukes38

Reaction score
Wow!! Great work! Can't wait to see pics of the completed project! If you're interested I have the nickel (chrome?) bridge and tailpiece off my G-400 1966 reissue for sale! (It would match the colors better than the black one ;))

telebutcher

Reaction score
More update pics.
GothG400Headstock.jpg

Headstock mods. The shaded areas will be removed and the tuner holes are now plugged and going to be re-drilled. This method of reshaping an Epi headstock results in a slightly smaller than stock Gibson headstock shape. I'll try it first and if i don't like it i can redo it with wood added to the sides and top. Also made a small bridge over the truss rod slot so I can use a Gibson two screw cover.
GothG400Headstock2.jpg

And the back.
GothG400Headstock4.jpg

And a close up of the back showing the wood grain. It sure looks like maple to my eye.

telebutcher

Reaction score
A few more pics, this time some control cavity mods.
GothG400conrolmods.jpg

Moving the neck controls back a bit. Holes plugged with maple dowel.
GothG400conrolmods2.jpg

And a side jack. I kinda liked the look of those 80's SG's and decided to change this one up a bit. The switch will stay where it is, I like it there.
GothG400conrolmods3.jpg

Inside the control cavity.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I'm thinking that one is maple. I've never seen any type of mahog that had grain like that.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Yori, I joined up here at the end of your project. You did a fantastic job of it! I hope mine turns out half as nice. That maple/mahog combo is going to dictate a somewhat more opaque finish I'm thinking.

telebutcher

Reaction score
The complete headstock reshape. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
GothG400Gibsonized2.jpg

The headstock decal I will attempt to make.
Fibsonlogo.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
this looks like very interesting work. after you are done, it will no longer be
Gothic, but we'll want to see and hear it.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since i had a chance to work on the project, life got busy! Pretty much just got the tuner holes drilled and the headstock decal made.
GothG400Tuners3.jpg

GothG400Tuners2.jpg

GothG400Tuners.jpg

Using the stock tuners from my Standard, the ones i replaced with locking Tone Pros. I didn't take a pic of the decal yet and don't have a camera handy, but will try to get one up soon for opinions.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Finally found some time to continue with the project. Finished this up on the weekend.
FibsonHeadstock2.jpg

FibsonHeadstock3.jpg

The decal is made of plain paper with some slicing and dicing of Fender and Gibson logos from the web. Added colour to the lettering by simply using yellow highlighter over the white letters. Next is the masking and cleaning for the paint.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
that's hilarious... and it also looks great at the same time. you should get a few guys looking at it with question marks in balloons over their heads... ??? huh? WTF... what pickups are you planning to install?

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=Col Mustard link=topic=21444.msg260796#msg260796 date=1311701903]
that's hilarious... and it also looks great at the same time.
[/quote]

ditto, brilliant!

Latest posts