Goth G400

Jimi G

Reaction score
Amazing! Are you going to shoot the TV yellow in nitro or urethane?

G

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
Great logo, and it does give you the option of squeezing a couple of Fender pups
in one of the slots. :)

telebutcher

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I was a bit surprised how it turned out considering how simple it was to do. I was going to initially use some hot Ibanez pups I have from an AXS 32, but as time goes on i may have enough scratch for some GFS pups. I was giving thought to a set of Fat PAF's or maybe a set of Mean 90's. Any opinions on these? As for the finish, I't will be a poly finish as i don't have the equipment to spray nitro, I am limited to rattle cans. The finish will be a bit more opaque than I initially wanted due to the maple neck and "mahogany", (its actually an asian wood commonly known as lauan). I like the way Yori's SG turned out with the translucent finish showing the grain of the wood, but I think with these dissimilar woods mine will look better more opaque. I do have some spare Tele pups hanging around, maybe I'll give that some consideration too................. ;)

Jimi G

Reaction score
Telebutcher,

You don't need any special equipment to shoot nitro. Check out the link below to Guitar Reranch. They offer TV yellow in nitro rattlecans. Its good sh!t too. I am currently doing two Strat neck refins using their stuff and if you do the proper prep and are patient, you can attain factory results. By the way awesome job on the headstock mod.

G

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/blacwhitandg.html

Attachments

• Neck Tint 001.JPG
    Neck Tint 001.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Neck Tint 001.JPG
    Neck Tint 001.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 44

telebutcher

Reaction score
Some more pics of the progress.
PaintingG4006.jpg

Applied a new coat of sealer before the painting begins.
PaintingG4007.jpg

And a coat of primer.
PaintingG40010.jpg

Now for the yellow, I ended up with 3 thin coats to cover completely. This was taken while the guitar was still wet.
PaintingG4002.jpg

Dry in the daylight changes the hue somewhat.
PaintingG4005.jpg

And a quick mock up pic to get an idea of the finished appearance. I have 4 types of knobs I can use, I am leaning towards the traditional bell style or the fender amp style knobs. The pups are the Ibanez 'buckers i mentioned earlier, but I'm really wanting to try something else as these are pretty hot pups and can be a bit muddy. Also waiting for my white Tusq nut to arrive, been backordered for a while. I may have to use the stock cheapo one for a while till it shows up.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Its feast or famine, I seem to have some spare time for this project as of late. A few more update pics.

G400Assembly5.jpg

G400Assembly.jpg

G400Assembly3.jpg

It looks like parts, lack thereof, will be the next delay. Murphy lives!

everdying

Reaction score
nice job, wish i had the tools or time or space to do this.

btw, just wondering on the logo on white paper and fluorescent marker.
wont it fade after awhile? how bout using gold paper?

telebutcher

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all comments are appreciated. I guess time will tell if the marker will fade, I'm hoping that it won't as its sealed under multiple layers of poly.

telebutcher

Reaction score
These are the latest pics of the project, almost done save for waiting for a couple of items that I will install later.

G400GothFinalStagesjpeg.jpg

G400GothFinalStagesjpeg2.jpg

G400GothFinalStagesjpeg1.jpg

G400GothFinalStagesjpeg3.jpg

G400GothFinalStagesjpeg5.jpg

Just waiting for a Tusq nut and blank truss rod cover to finish it up.

saxosim

Reaction score
[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21444.msg261328#msg261328 date=1314130018]
That is one cool looking, one-of-a-kind guitar! Great job! You mentioned GFS Mean 90s earlier. I have them in several of my SGs and I love them.
[/quote]

Hi Kevy

Several SG's if you don't mind me asking how many do you own? :D

Cheers
Simon :)

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21444.msg261329#msg261329 date=1314133095]
Hi Kevy

Several SG's if you don't mind me asking how many do you own? :D

Cheers
Simon :)
[/quote]

8:

1 Classic
1 Faded Classic
1 Special
5 Faded Specials

3 of the Faded Specials have at least one GFS Mean 90 and I plan on doing another one when I get a chance.

saxosim

Reaction score
[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21444.msg261331#msg261331 date=1314134618]
8:

1 Classic
1 Faded Classic
1 Special
5 Faded Specials

3 of the Faded Specials have at least one GFS Mean 90 and I plan on doing another one when I get a chance.
[/quote]

Hi Kevy Nova

8!!! You definately win the prize for liking SGs the most ;)
Well done good collection you should take a group photo to show them off, I look forward to hopefully owning my first SG in the hopeful near future :)

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21444.msg261332#msg261332 date=1314136244]
8!!! You definately win the prize for liking SGs the most ;)
Well done good collection you should take a group photo to show them off, I look forward to hopefully owning my first SG in the hopeful near future :)
[/quote]

I'm sure there are guys around here who have more than I do. (at least I hope there are!)

I bought all but one of them used, which I believe is the way to go. Good luck on getting your dream guitar, be sure to post picks when you do! (I took a group photo about a year and a half ago but it really needs updating...)

Latest posts