Gotoh 510 wraparound bridge

Siamese

Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of a wraparound bridge. Had one on a PRS McCarty, and the intonation was great. It didn't have adjustable saddles, but it was compensated and, of course, you could change the overall angle with the grub screws.

I just got a 2022 Les Paul Special P90 to complement my 2022 SG Standard 61, and the wraparound bridge is disappointing. I'm posting this here, because this is the guitar forum I frequent, and this'll apply equally to an SG special.

I get that Gibson wants to recreate their original model for the buying public, but a straight, wraparound bridge...really?

I suppose I could fuss with the thing some more and see if I could get the intonation better, but it's always going to compromised.

I love the guitar....sounds awesome....so I decided I want the intonation to be as good as my SG. I have a Gotoh 510 wraparound bridge on order, and have my fingers crossed on whether it's going to work out.

I'm wondering if any of you SG Special or SG Jr. owners have tried the the Gotoh 510 bridge. Like it?

DrBGood

Reaction score

skelt101

Reaction score
Gotoh makes excellent quality products. I've used their tuning machines on a few guitars, and they are some of my favorites! @Siamese Did you make sure the threads on the Gotoh mounting studs match your Gibson? If they don't, the stock bushings would need to be removed and the Gotohs installed. (Hopefully the outside diameter matches...) The PRS @DrBGood mentioned above is quality too. However, one thing to keep in mind is that it is intended for guitars with a 10" radius neck. I would recommend the MojoAxe. It is a direct swap, looks vintage, but is compensated for more precise intonation.
mojoaxe.com

Siamese

Reaction score
I
Should work as the posts don't have much angle to them. Why don't you try the classic lightning bolt wraparound ?

View attachment 49318

Or the actual PRS wraparound ?
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/bridges-bridge-parts/products/stoptail-bridge-with-studs

I think any of those two would look more the part than one with saddles. And I found that a wraparound has that zing that saddles don't provide
Should work as the posts don't have much angle to them. Why don't you try the classic lightning bolt wraparound ?

View attachment 49318

Or the actual PRS wraparound ?
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/bridges-bridge-parts/products/stoptail-bridge-with-studs

I think any of those two would look more the part than one with saddles. And I found that a wraparound has that zing that saddles don't provide.
I considered going with the lightning bolt fixed bridge, or one of the other compensated fixed bridges, but once I started down the path of improving the intonation, I decided to try and go all the way and get something with adjustable saddles. If the Gotoh doesn't work out for some reason, like fit, then I might return to the idea of a fixed bridge.

Siamese

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the Gotoh posts are compatible with the existing studs. I couldn't get confirmation on this before I ordered. Figured I'd try it and see, and return the bridge if it doesn't fit the existing threads. No way I would replace the existing inserts if the threads don't match. Whatever I do, I don't want to make that sort of alteration to the guitar. Has to be a simple bridge sway, and then I can put the original bridge in the case and leave it there so the guitar can easily be returned to stock.

Siamese

Reaction score
Okay, so it arrived today, and I'm sending it right back. It's heavy, which tells me it's not aluminum. I can't find any info online with regard to what it's made of other than the saddles are "hardened zinc". Huh? The bulk of the bridge, I would guess, is likely zinc or something. I still want to improve my intonation, so I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the Mojoaxe compensated tailpiece. On the Mojoaxe website, there's a picture of Keith Richards with this bridge fitted to his Les Paul Jr.. I think that pretty much wraps it up (note tongue in cheek, but....). So, I'm expecting better intonation, and there's the added possible benefit of a better break angle for the strings at the bridge.

Anybody using one of these?

skelt101

Reaction score
I used to have a Billie Joe Armstrong Double Cut Junior with that bridge. I don't recall having "problems" with the stock setup, but the MojoAxe is a better design that doesn't look out of place. I think you'll be happy! :thumb:

Latest posts