Great New amp kits!!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by acdcrocker, Jul 20, 2006.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

IF ya get a Weber, just be prepared to through it to make it right. Voice of experience there!

2. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=CharlieB link=topic=9492.msg126360#msg126360 date=1154834183]
    IF ya get a Weber, just be prepared to through it to make it right.   Voice of experience there!
    [/quote]

Whys that?

3. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

that looks so sweet! like a tiny plexi without complex tone controls! :Droolin:

would something like that require specific knowledge. if you had all the right tools and parts couldnt you just build that by following the instructions?

4. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=9492.msg126368#msg126368 date=1154836987]
    if you had all the right tools and parts couldnt you just build that by following the instructions?
    [/quote]

probably.

5. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=9492.msg126368#msg126368 date=1154836987]
    that looks so sweet! like a tiny plexi without complex tone controls! :Droolin:

would something like that require specific knowledge.  if you had all the right tools and parts couldnt you just build that by following the instructions?
    [/quote]

You really have to know what your doing, and how each part works and what it is and how each part together combined serves what function.

6. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

im seriously considering buying that and building it with my uncle. He has lots of experience with building electronics. he built a computer i think. plus he has a soldering iron.

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

ACDCRocker has a good point tho. The best amps are created by those who know what each part does and how circuits and part changes interact with each other. I highly suggest joining up with an amp building community like AX84 and Weber's forum too.

If you want a fun project and end up with a pleasing amp, it seems to me that the tinkering and troubleshooting phase is basically mandatory.

Wait till the first time you find a sweet sonic benefit from using X cap with Y value in Z location instead of using M cap with N value rating, plus the poly verses metal film construction, plus bla bla bla... In other words, there is most definitely a learning curve involved, and you might not get a really nice sounding amp until build 2 or 3.

But it will be hand wired point to point, a very sought after durable and highly serviceable design bonus, and if you get a high quality kit and don't skimp on the parts, you might get something really nice... Also, if you like the idea of reversible or adjustable mods, the building path comes cautiously recommended. Remember, we don't want anyone getting electrocuted. Learn how to properly discharge stored up electricity.

;)

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9492.msg126363#msg126363 date=1154835663]
    [quote author=CharlieB link=topic=9492.msg126360#msg126360 date=1154834183]
    IF ya get a Weber, just be prepared to through it to make it right. Voice of experience there!
    [/quote]

Whys that?
    [/quote]

I've ordered three speakers from him, every one had a problem and had to be sent back at least once.
    I've ordered 11 chassis from him, three had bad lettering, four needed the corners rivted, one had flaking chrome, 8 out of 11 bad
    I've ordered 3 cabinets from him, and they're totally wrong for what he sells them for, made out of too thick a material so they need to be reworked to get right.

Ted is big on talk, knows his stuff, poor as hell on follow through to making a good product on a consistant basis.

He refused to make the chassis right (lettering), and I've been riveting everythig now after such bad results on his welds. The speakers he did make good on eventually, but it cost me over $100 in shipping back and forth and back and forth, not worth it. I've got two of the three cabinets here still, and they're next to useless.

Hoffman refuses to carry Weber's stuff anymore its so hit and miss on quality.

9. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Wow, CharlieB, I'm sorry to hear that, but glad to know about your report. I certainly defer to known experiences as I have little contact with Webber, but many people rave over his speakers. I hear he does A LOT of business, so I wonder if he has outstretched himself and sacrificed quality. I'm quite surprised at the speaker problems, as that is the core of his business and popularity.

I'll say this, I have two Weber made Scumback speakers and they are superb. And he is innovative to say the least. He makes speaker dispersion bar/cones which I think are great to help disburse very direction guitar speaker sound waves, as well as speaker motor "power attenuators" for a realistic interactive power load.

Thanks for the heads up.

10. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Ya Charlie I've had the same experiences but because of certain, er, People decided to pull back and play vmy cards closer to my chest here but when this was mentiond at &^%$##&^ a whole fight ensued and the board was closed down but they were absolutely correct as you are! All else is sadily PM

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

And Ted's son is the runner of the business, Ted is the engineer/brain/spokesman.

I've got it a feeling its Ted's half wiitted offspring thats most of the problem.

What board went down?

12. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

1way, the kit comes with all the parts though and it comes with detailed instructions so you wouldnt even need to know which things do what as long as they were in the right place right?

13. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=9492.msg126519#msg126519 date=1154906418]
    1way, the kit comes with all the parts though and it comes with detailed instructions so you wouldnt even need to know which things do what as long as they were in the right place right?
    [/quote]

Cant be a surgeon if you dont know each body part does  ;)

14. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9492.msg126531#msg126531 date=1154913044]
    [quote author=SG dan link=topic=9492.msg126519#msg126519 date=1154906418]
    [/quote]

Cant be a surgeon if you dont know each body part does ;)
    [/quote]

true but its not a matter of life and death.

i have some electrical experience and i think these are right.
    resistors make the electrical charges smaller
    caps store the charges
    tubes,i dont know what they do
    transformers, put the electricity through.

i think thats right

15. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

meh juat poke that squishy thing an ittle prolly work ;)

16. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Every amp building site I've been to gives fair warning, that even if the amp is turned off and unplugged, there is enough electricity stored to kill you, so discharge the stored up electricity safely.

I assume that it has to do with high voltages. A true amp repairman could stipulate how realistic this risk and warning is...

At the same time, I understand that folks have been struck by lightening and survived. Do you really want to count on them kind of odds?

When first assembling the amp, of course there's no significant charge to speak of, but after the completed amp has been turned on then off, all bets are off. Amp building and servicing is a matter of life and death.

17. 1Way

1Way Active Member

SG dan
    It's definitely better to get a kit that already has all the parts sourced and provided. Beginner kits are a great way to get into amp building. I just wouldn't expect to (1) get a great amp like that, and (2) learn alot until you run into problems or tinker for a better sound. The learning curve is pretty much unavoidable if you want to build a nice sounding amp... Although if you like the Fender Champ, I hear those are great beginner amps to start out with, and I suppose if you use the right parts, it might be a satisfying build even for the beginner...

For me, if they had a forum where they built that little 5watt Gibson Goldtone GA-5, that would be the one for me! I think it's a fabulous amp. But I bet to get that circuit to sound great, you'd better spend some bucks on great parts. But it does look like a simple design...

- BE SAFE
    - Have a community to help with questions/issues/troubleshooting/mods/parts sourcing
    - Start with easy projects

I found that if I got into amp building, I'd spend alot of time reading up on amp design theory as well as having sufficient tech equipment. I just don't have the time or money for that sort of hobby. Guitar playing is where it's at for me. But I want to know enough about amp tech work so that I can interface well with whoever my amp tech is. And I'm likely to try mods and such, so it does not hurt to learn about amp building.

8)

18. CAR59

CAR59 Member

Mr Way, I must pull you over right here in front of everyone and interogate you.

You say there that its definately better to get such and such a kit. NOw I must ask you how many kits you have personally tried and What gives you the AUTHORITY to say whats best for anyone?

Ive been reading up on you son and it appears to me that you've been taking other peoples words and mincing them up with your own and trying to come off like some kind of know it all on this forum and it has gone quite far enough. Other people might take things wrong as if you are some kind of AUTHORITY or something and I think we can both agree that that does not reflect the facts here. From now on I think it will please all law abiding citizens here if you speak from personal experience only and keep your conjecture to yourself.

Consider yourself warned Mr Way

[Moderators Note: Please refrain from antagonizing memberhip]

19. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Considering that you just based your entire post on the conjecture

that I have no business offering advice on things that I have no first hand experience with

I dismiss your attack as being inaccurate, self contradictory, absurd and as such, it's likely based on some personal problem.

Plainly, there is no reason what so ever to go against any form of learning be it first or second hand learning. The basis of all personal communications is the exchange of ideas (teaching/learning) from one person to another. If you want to live in your own little world completely isolated from human communications and only learn on your own, then go for it. But don't try to share your learning with others because as soon as you do, you've violated your rule of only learning on your own.

Breaking your own rules is bad form. Been there, done that... ;D

20. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=CAR59 link=topic=9492.msg126562#msg126562 date=1154919478]
    Mr Way, I must pull you over right here in front of everyone and interogate you.

You say there that its definately better to get such and such a kit. NOw I must ask you how many kits you have personally tried and What gives you the AUTHORITY to say whats best for anyone?

Ive been reading up on you son and it appears to me that you've been taking other peoples words and mincing them up with your own and trying to come off like some kind of know it all on this forum and it has gone quite far enough. Other people might take things wrong as if you are some kind of AUTHORITY or something and I think we can both agree that that does not reflect the facts here. From now on I think it will please all law abiding citizens here if you speak from personal experience only and keep your conjecture to yourself.

Consider yourself warned Mr Way

[/quote]

1way is a very nice,helpful and informative guy! who the heck are you to tell him he cant give us advice?

also 1way do you know where i can find a beginner amp kit?

[Moderators Note: Please refrain from veiled attempts at concealing vulgarity, we all know what you were saying anyway. Clean it up]