Great New amp kits!!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by acdcrocker, Jul 20, 2006.

1. CAR59

CAR59 Member

Mr Bacon you are decieved. This man nows nothing more than what you could learn on your own on the internet. Yes this can be helpful at times, but you must understand that there are others who can speak to you from true knowledge and experience

Mr 1way, Im not going to play word games with you, son. Im fully intending to teach you the biggest lesson of you life. I ask you once more. Can you speak of things you know and shut up about things you dont? A SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO FINE! Or silence might even be best!

Just realize that you seal you fate depending on you answer and actions from this point forward!!

I WILL ENJOY EITHER CHOICE BELIEVE YOU ME!!

[Moderators Note: 1Way seemed to be offering constructive remarks. Certainly he said "join an amp building group", deferring to others on his lack of experience and knowledge]

2. SGmole

SGmole Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=9492.msg126566#msg126566 date=1154921043]

Plainly, there is no reason what so ever to go against any form of learning be it first or second hand learning. [/quote]

Learning, yes...but when it comes to people posting strong opinions about things that they have absolutelly no personal experience with it leads to the spreading of misinformation.  I'm not accusing you (1way) of doing that...if you've built several amp kits and it's your opinion that a beginner can't have a great sounding first build then "Great", you're entitled to it.

3. EL_DIABLO

EL_DIABLO Guest

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

the bacon, thanks for the personal support and friendly attitude. I don't know what is eating carsawreck, he suddenly jumped out of the woodwork and has badgered me using sudo threatening ideas and innuendo.

I guess some people just like trying to sound like "an authority", lord their weight around, and try to make others look small. More important fish to fry, besides, there's guitars, music and genuine SG distance camaraderie to be had!

Car59 is partly right. Shucks, even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;) I'd say your best bet is to keep looking here and elsewhere for those who have dealings with different kit makers. I have had really good experiences at AX84 dot org, although their forum is kind of cheesy in that you can't edit posts for example. But that forum is outstanding for the beginner builder on up. I'd start membership there and maybe later join one or two others.

By doing that, and by not just going it alone, you might be amazed at how much self training you can get even before you have built your own amp. There is no shortage of friendly knowledgeable builders who would be happy to lend you a hand. At the same time, I've learned that whenever possible, try to demonstrate the work you already have done "before" asking for help. So in the long run, it's a balancing act, don't be shy from learning from others, but don't depend too much on them when you can do it for yourself. Most people tend to prefer helping those who are helping themselves.

Try googling amp building, amp forum, amp kits, etc. You may find other great resources that way too.

[Moderators Note: Please refrain from making fun of others handles]

5. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

whoa!!! whassup 1way?????? looks like somebody's got a bee in their bonnet, eh?

man, you can't take that crap, i personally have taken some breaks here and there so i can't vouch, but tell us about your experiece over at AX84 and those couple other sites. i know you must have built a few amps, probably fixxed a few too from what i've heard.

this sounds like a place for you to stand your ground and tell us all about your hands-on experience! (wasn't it you that was telling us about how to do the biasing on that fender?

(man...AUTHORITY figures rile me no end!! ;D ;D ;D

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=SGmole link=topic=9492.msg126575#msg126575 date=1154924165]
    [quote author=1Way link=topic=9492.msg126566#msg126566 date=1154921043]

Plainly, there is no reason what so ever to go against any form of learning be it first or second hand learning. [/quote]

Learning, yes...but when it comes to people posting strong opinions about things that they have absolutelly no personal experience with it leads to the spreading of misinformation.  I'm not accusing you (1way) of doing that...if you've built several amp kits and it's your opinion that a beginner can't have a great sounding first build then "Great", you're entitled to it.
    [/quote]

Learning or teaching, not just learning. If it's valid to learn from other than purely personally derived experience, then obviously it's also ok to share that learning with others. If someone offers you advice that you don't like, then don't accept it. If you don't like the TV or radio show, don't watch it. What I said was
    I have experienced other builders amp beginner amp builds. I have experienced what a Champ amp sounds like. I have experiences learning from others who basically told me exactly what I conveyed without adding to or subtracting from their personal first and second hand experience. And I did not offer my view as though it is the only strong or right view. It's only common sense that great amps are not made by beginners. I tried to see about creating a more or less intermediate build and I got nothing but static from all corners, so I deferred to the pros because I (also) respect those who have been there and done that.

I see no reason to consider a friendly conduit of constructive helpful information as anything different than what it is. Maybe some of you are a bit uncomfortable learning from others because it means you are admitting that you don't know about something. I rather enjoy exposing my views so that if I am in any way wrong, I am in the best position to stand corrected. In this case, I have not acted inappropriately as one disturbed character has suggested I have.

7. SGmole

SGmole Member

Hey 1Way...like I said, I wasn't accusing you of anything so don't take offense. My point I was trying to make was that often on forums people spout-off about how product "X" sucks without having ever owned it or even tried it out firsthand. If you've heard friends first amp builds that didn't sound particularly good, that means you have valuable info you should post so that we can avoid buying the same crappy kits or make the same mistakes that your buddies made...but it does us no good if you don't post the details.

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

SGmole
    I appreciate the clarification, but I still don't fully agree. You want specifics, lets take the specific warning issue I offered about lethal threat when working on an unplugged amp. I don't need to have been shocked to death, or have known a friend who was shocked to death in order to qualify as a person who should be allowed to share with others about that warning.

Secondly, when I gave that warning, I humbly granted the authority which I sited, namely, every amp building site I've visited offers that same basic warning.

It's an easy exercise to simply extend that same principle of teaching and learning via second hand information by any number of other less important things than lethal threat, and you can rest assured that offering good helpful advice (no matter how one learned it) is a good and appropriate thing to do. I agree that spouting off uninformed opinions as tho it's specifically authoritative or appropriate is not only common, it's quite the nuisance. The fact remains that exchanging ideas with others (giving or receiving, teaching or learning) is not an inferior way of exchanging ideas, it's simply another way of exchanging ideas.

9. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Skids, I don't believe I've put off as though I've accomplished any significant amp building or modifying project. I once tried to solder together a speaker wire which has two end jacks and four solder joints and I somehow failed at that project. I have built every own PC I've owned by (1) learning everything from my own trial and error, or (2) learning from others how to do it effectivey and safely... That’s right, I took option number two and it's my experience that doing so is quite rewarding. I also learned computer programming and so some the troubleshooting skills I've learned from other technical trades cross over nicely.

I came very close to amp kit building on more than one occasion, as well as doing my own amp work, but I have only checked things like ohms, swapped out tubes and speakers, and shared some of my learning with my amp tech for example so that I could better understand what I wanted him to do for me, and to better understand what he did with my amp. So I have used my learning to have better informed interaction with those who do work on amps and that experience has benefited me, as I assume it will continue to do so in the future as well.

I also bought a soldering iron, I bought a speaker cab book, I still plan on designing my own speaker cab, but I don't have the equipment necessary to make finger-locking joints, so that part will be shipped out. I spent hundreds of hours reading website faq's and posts of amp building and mod'ing.

So I don't believe I have overstated my credentials or offered advice beyond my knowledge. And even if I presented anything wrong or mistaken, I would gladly stand corrected if shown to be in the wrong.

Please quote where I have gone wrong, demonstrate why it was wrong, and I'll gladly stand corrected. Until then, I feel comfortable exchanging ideas with other people of like interests.

10. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=9492.msg126590#msg126590 date=1154928478]
    Skids, I don't believe I've put off as though I've accomplished any significant amp building or modifying project. I once tried to solder together a speaker wire which has two end jacks and four solder joints and I somehow failed at that project.

I came very close to amp kit building on more than one occasion, as well as doing my own amp work, but I have only checked things like ohms, swapped out tubes and speakers,

l bought a soldering iron, I bought a speaker cab book, I still plan on designing my own speaker cab,

I spent hundreds of hours reading website faq's and posts of amp building and mod'ing.

So I don't believe I have overstated my credentials or offered advice beyond my knowledge. And even if I presented anything wrong or mistaken, I would gladly stand corrected if shown to be in the wrong.

Please quote where I have gone wrong, demonstrate why it was wrong, and I'll gladly stand corrected. Until then, I feel comfortable exchanging ideas with other people of like interests.

[/quote]

hey dwayne, i cut out some of the fluff above and i think got to the quick of things here.

this is not a place where you're right until shown that you're wrong, i think what CAR59 is getting at is that anytime you speak knowingly, you should know it first hand. I think i can speak for anyone wanting real knowledge here in saying that i personally don't want info copied from some other forum or website, i want it from experience....i can trust that. If Voxman told me my amp would sound better if i stuck a cigarette butt in the open channel of my amp i'd KNOW he had actually done it, and you can bet i'd be asking if menthol made it sound cooler......

11. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

[quote author=skidshark link=topic=9492.msg126597#msg126597 date=1154935080]
    [quote author=1Way link=topic=9492.msg126590#msg126590 date=1154928478]
    Skids, I don't believe I've put off as though I've accomplished any significant amp building or modifying project. I once tried to solder together a speaker wire which has two end jacks and four solder joints and I somehow failed at that project.

I came very close to amp kit building on more than one occasion, as well as doing my own amp work, but I have only checked things like ohms, swapped out tubes and speakers,

l bought a soldering iron, I bought a speaker cab book, I still plan on designing my own speaker cab,

I spent hundreds of hours reading website faq's and posts of amp building and mod'ing.

[/quote]

hey dwayne, i cut out some of the fluff above and i think got to the quick of things here.

this is not a place where you're right until shown that you're wrong, i think what CAR59 is getting at is that anytime you speak knowingly, you should know it first hand. I think i can speak for anyone wanting real knowledge here in saying that i personally don't want info copied from some other forum or website, i want it from experience....i can trust that. If Voxman told me my amp would sound better if i stuck a cigarette butt in the open channel of my amp i'd KNOW he had actually done it, and you can bet i'd be asking if menthol made it sound cooler......

[/quote]

O0 O0
    (where is the "Round of applause" smiley?)

[Moderators Note: Cooling off period is in effect until moderators can fully evaluate the current state of conversation here]

[Additional Notes: This moderator can see no issue with what 1Way was talking about with both the dangerous things in amp building or the suggestion to join a group like AX84. This thread is about amp kits, and it better continue about amp kits or its gonna be permanently locked. Its open for now.]

12. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Whew! Just in case any beginner gets the bug for building amp kits
    or modding an amp from anything metioned in this and any other thread
    about amps, let it be mentioned again, if you don't know what you're
    doing with HIGH VOLTAGE, please seek professional help first!

You could get hurt, die, burn down the house, or destroy a nice amp if you
    are not careful every step of the way. Except for turning an amp on and/or
    off, if you don't know what you're doing, don't even get near the back panel!

13. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

And.......always keep one hand in your pocket. ;)

14. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Veek ... I think I need to  seek some professional help!  :-\ :? Your very kind!  :(

15. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

[quote author=vic108 link=topic=9492.msg126710#msg126710 date=1154989264]

Whew! Just in case any beginner gets the bug for building amp kits
    or modding an amp from anything metioned in this and any other thread
    about amps, let it be mentioned again, if you don't know what you're
    doing with HIGH VOLTAGE, please seek professional help first!

You could get hurt, die, burn down the house, or destroy a nice amp if you
    are not careful every step of the way. Except for turning an amp on and/or
    off, if you don't know what you're doing, don't even get near the back panel!
    [/quote]

I service golf course irrigation equipment. Could be sprinklers that would knock you over, or put an eye out if the water hit there (think firehose of a sprinkler). Could be a uplink/downlink to a weather station. Could be finding some busted data wire in the ground. Could be rebuilding a lightning hit computer. Could be salvaging a flooded field contol unit. Today it was 9:15 to 3:15 in the sun, no lunch, two water breaks, changing defective valves.

If I dont have a clear head, if I'm way tired, and way in need of some RnR, I dont go near the inside of an amp. Its just that simple. Its about like running a chain saw, or other shop equipment, ya gotta have yer wits about yerself, if you are to remain all of yerself.

16. the bacon

the bacon Member

nevermind ignore this post

17. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Please ignore this post too! ;)

18. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

treble it

19. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

forkle it!! ;D