greeting brotherhood

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by kolhauszer, May 11, 2014.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Not bad...needs some TLC, but could be made right again...suspecting the large guard is not original, and wonder what kind of routing disasters are under it...'66 would've had small guard..prolly used the bigger one to hide the sins of it's past...also, looks like whoever stripped and sanded it was a lil heavy handed and rounded off some it's original sharp body lines...I'd offer $650 tops...

2. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

ill leave her be then.
    i tried contacting the guy not to long ago but he says he only wanted to sell her locally..

i figured i could send her to Gibson in Nashville to have her totally restored,,yes the d.r is great but for heavy structural damage like this,im sure he wouldn't have the time..

considering how long it took me to finally feel free with a guitar that makes me play the last riff of California as quick as i do now,i feel very sad for that beautiful warrior..i hope she finds herself a good home.
    i mean even if i had no choice but to pay his price,and the gas it would take to drive from montreal to Toronto about a 6 hour drive each way-i mean as long as it would be sold would make me think that the owner would be happy..but i guess not..
    my prs was just a guitar,my taylor,even my les paul..that's why 2 days after i bought my les paul i sold it to a friend at a 600 dollar loss..but an sg isn't just a guitar..sadly many people don't have the same heart.

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

KRis Ford strikes again! Dude you are a walking SG encyclopedia (and all round snazzy dresser I hear) !!!
    Rock ON man ROCK ON!:dude:

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. Kris Ford

Snazzy dresser? Jeans (from flares to big bells..gotta be Levi's) and old rock shirts for this guy..You know something I don't bro?:laugh2: Wait til I post the pics of me playing my '76 Standard at my sis's wedding in NOLA from last month...
    Thank you for your kind words..just here to help my bros (and lady bros too!):thumb:

5. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

hey fello jammerheads..yeah I agree esg,,the more youlearn the more you know.
    sweet hell im betting the man has encyclopedias of sgs..Gibson should resurrect a sg church for this guy.
    the guy with the 66 didn't mention if it was changed but according to the 13th edition,with just a simple adaptation of a original larger guard is worth 200 dollars in antiquity value..just to share,if anyone wants a copy of their own edition its on pirate bay still..thats where I got my new bible..its inconceivable how many different makes and models there are out there,,and this book has it all..not much generalized info about them just mainly the values

6. Kris Ford

Please explain, or take a pic of where it says this.....really baffled how adding an incorrect part that makes even more holes in the face of the guitar can increase value...:hmm:

7. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

lol I meant the original large guards are worth 200 more in antiquity value..adaptation was the wrong word ...wait nope.just checked again..

1966 cherry small guard between 3000 and 3700..200 dollars more from the ones with the large

haaa even a spiderman edition of the les paul too

8. Kevin James

Kevin James Active Member

The large guard came in some time in mid 66 so you will find both small and large guard 66's.

The neck joint changed BEFORE the guard though, so the last of the small guards had the long neck joint.

9. Kris Ford

Right..this one has the smaller neck joint, which is why I suspect the large guard isn't original..prolly a mess under it...

10. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

then I save a trip to Toronto.thanks..always listen to the ones who know..
    anyone want information on how to keep your golf swing straight or keep the ball from slicing let me know..lol

heres another one for you guys to look at..
    shes been on kijiji for awhile..many visits..1100 plus.

but is she missing the vibrato.or is she just made this way

according to the seller its a 70..but with the decoder its either 70 1 or 2..
    no chance yet to ask the gy about his pot numbers

Attached Files:

11. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

12. Kris Ford

'73 or early '74...that decoder is notoriously innacurate...just can not use SN#s as an accurate way to date Gibsons in this era..would love to see the pot codes..betcha they're at least '73, maybe very late '72, but wouldn't have been completed and sold until '73..that is the new for '73 redisgn body.mid '74 sometime they moved the bridge pickup back closer to the bridge...

13. Kris Ford

Finish has been stripped too it looks...I'd pass...

14. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

righteous brother..lol
    in fact yeah that's what ill do considering shes now far from what im truly searching for..actually what I am looking for is the same special that I saw on ebay that I mentioned being 4 minutes late for the last bid..1400 us and the pot numbers last 4 was indeed 7023.so she was a authentic 70..
    and pre-70 would be awesome from a vintage point of view..

one more amigo..Gibson SG Standard 1970 | guitares | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

according to the 2013 edition this beauty is only woth between 2175 and 2700.

theres no way hers will sell for 5500 is there

and whats the opinions on lets say a 1969 and younger sg junior..i read that they are not as historically valueable as the standards or specials..but how are they in playability

interesting..some guy on ebay is selling a 1961 Gibson junior for 4000 plus..and according to the vintage book,gibson didn't make them until 1963..
    I love this book

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. Kevin James

Yes, my comments were not based on this specific guitar but in general because you mention that a 66 would have had a small guard which is not necessarily true. It could be large guard OR Small guard. It also could be short neck joint or long neck joint. The Joint changed before the guard though, so you will see some 66's with the small guard but long neck joint (which always looks odd to me.... ugly even lol).

Regarding this specific guitar the add states very clearly that the guard is not original, it had a small guard and that it was routed for HB's which is the reason for the large guard. And yes, it probably IS a mess under there :laugh2:

16. Kris Ford

I was just going by pics from my phone..guess it wouldn't have hurt to read the description..:facepalm: But this makes for good discussion..amongst all of my research..and I've done A LOT...the '66 large guard is a rare, rare bird..so rare I've never even seen one..so is it possible it was very late in the year? Not doubting you at all, but I have seen very reputable folks swear the large guard came in '65, and I don't believe that to be true..Please show me every example you can bro, you're one of the only people that prolly has what I need to see..seems the examples I've seen were all late '65 specs..and even SGt Beefheart's '67 small guard Junior is an anomaly as well..http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/gibson-sg/23392-veteran-67-jr.html His has late '66 pots in it, small guard, but a definite '67 SN#..so help me out here Kev..need to see a '66 large guard! A '66 large guard that was completed, shipped, and sold as a'66 anyways..again, don't doubt your word, just dyin' to see one!
    Thought I may have had one here, but the SN# (going by CFH's site) is '65, or '67..1966 Gibson SG Standard w OHSC 711106002569 | eBay
    This one is actually a '69...http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-special-1966-cherry-1#
    A '67..http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-jr-1966-cherry-1#

17. kolhauszer

kolhauszer Active Member

thumpalupacus..ok even just the word freaks me out
    I like what this life form has to say about sgs.

as we know,,the word vintage comes the number 20,and anything 20 years old is officially vintage soooo..as the newest member of the JAMMERHEADS,,if you can imagine a hammerhead shark playing on an sg,would be a kick as symbol I think,,what do you think guys, I made it up a couple of days ago,,unless its already copywrited someplace,,

a 20 year old 1961 reissue WITH a repaired crack..not broken all the way through,but repaired professionally.
    can this have any effects on the sounds

Gibson SG '61 Reissue | guitares | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

or much easier..would any of you guys buy her..
    please inform-im running out of buying time amigos

18. Kevin James

I don't think I have any 66 pictures, Kris. I'll take a look but I don't really have a large amount of the 66-71 stuff. I've always had a preference for the 60 -65 SG's. I just never liked the long neck joint.