Greets - new old player :P

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Pain, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Pain

Pain New Member

This looks like a great site, I haven't even had time to do much browsing yet (dial up - yech)

Anyway, I have been playing for about 22 years (am 35 years old). I picked up my SG in California around 1990. I bought it (looks like a Standard) and the hard case for $275 from some guy who was desperate for cash and had restrung it left-handed for his wife. I had always wanted a SG for all the obvious reasons (Angus, Tommi, etc) but fell in love with it's tone and feel not to mention I finally had a "real" electric guitar!
    Now here's where I part ways with many of you guys, eek. After I stripped and repainted the axe (I marbleized it green) the volume pot went bad. I could pop it with my thumb and make it work which I did until the jack went bad. When I began looking for a new jack, my real search began...
    I soon found out I needed an "endpin" jack as mine mounts to the side of the guitar, not the face like I saw on every other darn SG pic I could find. This coupled with an odd serial number kept me from dating or identifying which model/make I had even after sending the specs to Gibson. Years later, the guitar was stepped on and broke from the neck down into the heel joint - terror.. shame.. weeping.
    I talked to an old piano repairman who gave me some superglue tips and after a finger-crossed hail-mary repair session, it glued back into exactly the same angle it had been in before the breakage without a single truss-rod turn. Yay, finally some good luck!
    It got put up for I don't know how many years before I recently decided to make it playable again. I will soon post pics, etc in the "What Year or Model SG Do I Have" forum.
    Oh yeah, the last paintjob I slapped on it was metal-flake black with two white supersport stripes running over the face. I made new silver plastics including a trussrod cover engraved "SGSS" and entertained mounting a fakey tachometer wired to rev when the strings are strummed. Yes, I am a musical heretic, sorry. Just remember that it takes all types. If it wasn't for crazy bastards like me, we might all be hanging out at the everythingViolin forum!
    peace all

2. Wags

Wags New Member

Welcome to ETSG Pain!! Glad to have you with us.  Lots of nice folks here and many with a great amount of knowledge.  So pull up a chair and get comfy.....happy posting!

Hope you aren't true to your name!!  ;)

3. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Welcome Pain!

Neo

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG Pain! :) :) :)

5. Pain

Pain New Member

yo yo

Thanks for the welcomes. Times have sure changed. The last time I looked, I found practically no nfo. Now thanks to you guys I now know that my SG is....

SG Standard
    made at the
    Nashville Plant, TN, USA
    July 23rd, 1982
    Production Number: 18

It is missing 2 saddles from it's funky "top adjust tune-o-matic bridge" (Nashville, here I come! I always hated detuning to adjust those top screws. I did however like the bridges multi-routed underside which allowed for extra range of intonation adjustment. Anyone know if the Nashville has a similar underside? I also found a post requesting closeup pics of this style bridge. I will try to post some for future reference.

It also has chrome "Gibson Super Humbucking Pickups". I plan to do some more research on alnicos, p-90s, etc. I always liked the stock ones but I'm always open to possible improvement.

Someone remarked once that it had a bright (for an SG) tone and now I read that they were competing (badly) with Fender around '82. The '82 catalog is missing from the catalog page but the '83 Standard looks just like my '82.

I did notice that both caps seem to have the same value (although I'm not sure what they are. They are marked MP 203 100v. I read at another site that Gibson typically used .047 mfd caps on the neck tone pot and .02 mfd caps on the bridge cap.
    <edit> went to stew mac and found a list for matching cap codes to new stock (mine turned out to be .02 mfd btw) ...

1290 0.001 microfarad
    1291 0.020 microfarad
    1292 0.050 microfarad
    1293 0.100 microfarad

Manufacturer's printed identification codes:
    # #1290=102
    # #1291=203
    # #1292=503
    # #1293=104 <edit>

Lastly, it is approaching desperately close to "must be re-fretted" time. I kind of dread that because of where I live (AR) and its' bound fingerboard. Guess I will have to see who to send it off to and how much money to save up.

This place rocks!! Now if I can date this old Gibson Acoustic... lol. I think the tuners are dating to early 50s. My dad bought it off someone for $20 and asked me to make it playable. I said until I date and identify it, "no touchy"!!! But that's for another site right? I'm loving this one for sure, thanks!