Grover Rotomatics... Apparently you're supposed to either love them or hate them

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by shreddy bender, Jan 4, 2015.

?

What do you think of Grover Rotomatics?

1. Love them and couldn't do without them!

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Can't stand them! They should all be melted into boat anchors!

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Meh.... whatever...

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That would be a nice feature.

2. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I use the auto-lockers with a 10-52 set tuned DGCFAD and haven't had any issues yet with the plain strings. Must be lucky I guess.

I use the auto-lockers because I like to be able to change strings on the fly when needed and be back on board for the next song. Our songs are 1.5-2.5 minutes long but with the auto-lockers I can replace a string within 40 seconds or so

3. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Maybe mine are the issue. Either way, it's not a really big deal. The tuners do lock. However, I cannot just put the string through the post and start to tighten. I have to be sure to pull the free end of the string tightly in the same direction as the post turns as I tighten the string to get the cam to lock. If I don't do this, the tuner may not pinch the string tightly enough and it may slip. It's not a big ordeal, just something to keep in mind when I string the guitar.

I've done some searching and I seen others mention this same quirk with the auto-lockers. Others, like you, haven't noticed any issues. Maybe those who haven't noticed any problem have been stringing the tuners this way all along and never thought anything about it!

Ah well...no biggie.:)

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Proper string length form Gentlemen,
    clip 5 leave 1 slightly longer to hold your Marlboro. ;)
    [​IMG]

My method saves the headstock wood from getting burned when you do it as Slow Hand and just stuff the filter between the string and the headstock----Bad form Mr. Clapton, Bad Bad FOrm......

milesdeem likes this.
  5. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Fender Stratocaster: History's most expensive roach clip.

milesdeem, JohnnyGoo and eS.G. like this.
  6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Probably. I seriously don't even think about it. I just line the holes up so that they face the bridge, slide the string through the hole and start tightening up. What else I might be doing in that action I really have no idea. I also top-wrap all of my SGs, and this one with the auto-lockers is actually a wrap-tail (Graph Tech ResoMax NW-2). But I have also done it with my Explorer without top-wrapping and with the six in-line mini auto-lockers. No issue there either.

I also tend to leave enough slack on the plain strings that they wind around the post once or twice.

7. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Dont forget the Tele cigerette holder to.

milesdeem, eS.G. and LeadFinger like this.
  8. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

LOL, I voted Meh for exactly the same reasons, right down the line.

9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I voted Meh. I like Grovers just fine, have had them on many guitars, currently have them on my Les Paul. But the vintage-style ones on my SG are just as stable even if they don't look as cool, and the ones on my PRS blow them away for stability. Still, my all-time favorites are Schallers.

10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I used to get a kick outta the folks that insisted that stock tuners were crap on any guitar made. They'd be at the bench waiting for me to ream and instal their "new and improved" tuners if I didn't run them off so I could work. But really, it never ceased to amaze me the absolute mind-set of "NEEDING" to change perfectly good tuners on new instruments.:dunno:

Right now I have an $32 Peavey Raptor 1 with the diamond stamped chrome cover "butter bean" tuners it came with long ago. They work just fine. The same tuners are on my '05 Bullet Strat and oddly enough they work just fine too. And though that style tuner is likely to be found on about 80% of all low budget instruments, they work fine. Gee, maybe I'd better change out those perfectly good working tuners for some that cost more than a tank of gas huh? :squint:

Want my opinion? Well you're gonna get it anyway.....

99% of all tuners do not fail or quit working. However, either it's the "low status" of having less than fancy tuners that comes into to play...
    OR...
    It's because the player doesn't know how to string his instrument properly and fails to do the old "tune past the note then come back up to pitch" routine. Then they think they gotta get new tuners 'cause those they got now ain't working right! Oh the humanity...:ohno:

Wow, my first opinion for the new year.... Better not make a habit of this. I could gain a reputation as a grumpy old man with an attitude...

TOO LATE!!!:wow::laugh2:

Biddlin likes this.
  11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I love you buddy, but all the strings are clipped and that's why Clapton's guitars have a burn mark, the actual string length holds the smokin' butt.

Not the loop.

I still have the stock whatever the hell but they work tuners on several of my cheapies!

BUT....I ain't saying the gear ratio is ideal or they are the smoothest or what all...but today almost all the tuners work.

Yes, they work, and not just Grovers. The better Asian ones like Gotoh

G-GOTOH Ltd. - String Instruments Parts

to the ones on the budget Asian models, they pretty much all work.

Gotoh even as an "SG" series:

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product_category=sg-series

[​IMG]

koaguilds likes this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

They really are pretty simple, reliable beasts.
    ;>)/

dbb likes this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

YOu didn't read the comment under the picture dbb. ;) Mr. Clapton is doing it incorrectly ;) Bad Eric, Bad Bad Eric. HE should be punished......he needs to GIVE me a signed E.C. Fender Blackie as amends ;)

dbb likes this.
  14. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

My guitars with Grovers had them since the 70's. Without going to the basement to look, they may say W. Germany on them. I know that the few sets of Schallers I have on guitars do. Lately, I really like the Tone-Pros Klusons.

Biddlin likes this.
  15. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

They are good. I put some on a Synsonics sitting next to me on a stand. 18 to 1 ratio. I can live without them also. I hate bad keys that go out of tune myself.

16. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I voted "meh". I don't have anything against Grovers, they are great quality tuners, but on an SG (at least mine!) I found that they did something to my tone that I didn't like (a bit more sustain with increased bass and the attack felt different). My interpretation is that the added mass on the headstock (380g for the Grovers, 137g for Tonepros Klusons) changes the resonance of the whole neck and therefore tone is different.

To me if you are looking for that raw vintage SG tone, you need to keep your neck as light as possible.

dbb likes this.
  17. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

As I said earlier, My 74 SG standard came stock with Grovers so maybe that's why I like them. My 74 was that raw SG tone to me! Maybe I'm just trying my best to emulate that guitar. :hmm:

I must have "past SG issues". Time to call in the head shrinker I guess! :)

18. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Definitely true. I originally stated that I had no problem with the stock tuners on my SGJ, but on a whim I dropped as set of Grovers onto the headstock (guess I was bored) and WOW, what a difference...lots more sustain, the notes seem to bloom better, almost LP-like. It holds tune a bit better and feels more solid somehow. For me, it's a positive change - the Grovers are staying. But, I don't give a poo about my guitar sounding "vintage" so maybe that's the reason, because you are right about that aspect too. Much more modern sound.

shreddy bender likes this.
  19. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Only your Schallers will be W. Germany..the Grovers might say Pat. Pend..and were made in the USA until the 80's sometime..:thumb:

20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I have Grover tuners on several of my guitars. I've been gigging for more than forty years, and
    will recommend Grover as a cool muppet and a good guitar gear company.

Grover Rotomatics are too heavy for SGs. Our colleague Biddlin has pointed out rightly
    that they weigh nearly double what the stock Gibson Deluxe tuners weigh... which translates
    into annoying neck dive. Who needs it? Grover also makes the 'Vintage Keystone' tuners
    which weigh the same as regular Gibson tuners and look the same and fit in the same holes
    with no drilling, screws too. These are the indicated tuner replacements for Gibson guitars,
    they even have the same snot-green knobs, along with a higher gear ratio. no neck dive...
    so really, no contest. Avoid "Rotomatics' on SGs and install 'Vintage Keystones' if you think
    you must.

My 2012 Gibson SG special has tuners which say "Gibson Deluxe' but are made by Tone Pros
    so these are the best there is IMHO. You read many Gibson bashing posts by people who have
    a new Gibson and want to find fault with it. Many players replace their tuners because they
    think they must. They believe the Gibson bashing posts by internet trolls who say anything
    made by Gibson since 1979 is garbage. I don't

I believe that many players replace their tuners because THEY CAN DO IT WITH A SCREW DRIVER.
    It's not difficult. And if you can do it yourself without paying inflated luthier prices for a
    simple job, why not? Why not indeed... well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's what my dear old
    dad used to say, and I'm old enough to admit that he was right about that.