Guitar center Appleton,Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by guitar_randy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Member

Made a trip to the beloved guitar center today.I am off work on vacation and I bought an acoustic from them about a month ago,and I received athank you gimic from guitar center in the mail few days ago stating they thank me for my guitar purchase and as a "thank you" gift form my business if I bring the supplied coupon along to guitar center and make a purchase of $15 or more I may have my choice of either 1 free pair of drum sticks,1 10' guitar cable,1 10' midi cable,or 1 set of guitar strings.So I bite.I go there,purchase a $19 set of bass guitar strings for my bass guitar,and at the checkout I hand them the coupon I received in the mail,and set down along with the coupon and bass strings,a set of Elixr Nonoweb acoustic guitar strings which I was supposed to get for free per my coupon they mailed me as a thank you.The young lad checking me out(Matthew ) says I am not gonna give you this expensive set of strings ,I'll give you some D"Addario's or something.I told the lad and showed the coupon which does not specify any certain brand of guitar strings or dollar limit or set of there choosing.He gets an attitude and tells me he will not do it.
    So now I am just still a bit upset over this ,even know its not a big deal,it just pisses me off.I guess I will just watch the nice peter video song about guitar center on you tube a few times and email guitar center and attempt to see if I complain enough,if they will honor the coupon they mailed me and maybe give me an additional coupon for my trouble and poor service by there sales official.

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Good thinking........ go for it! I hate the coupons with print so some you can't read it or the stores that aren't obliged to honor there own coupons......

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Guitar center is a bunch of creeps! :nono:

4. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I actually liked GC years ago when individual stores set their own pricing structure regarding discounts, etc. Today, it seems corporate has crushed any individual flexibility and all stores are required to tow the corporate line regardless if it drives off customers. I usually avoid them now unless a new guitar or amp comes out and I can't find it anywhere else.

5. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I refuse to shop there. They are the Wal*Mart of guitar stores, except that their prices are not any better than the little Mom & Pop stores. I've been to the one in San Francisco twice, but that was just to drool in the "Vintage Room." :Droolin:

6. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Guitar Center is the "Jonas Brothers" of guitar sales. people with brains hate them, but they're still huge thanks to idiots.

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19491.msg236159#msg236159 date=1247626882]
    I actually liked GC years ago when individual stores set their own pricing structure regarding discounts, etc. Today, it seems corporate has crushed any individual flexibility and all stores are required to tow the corporate line regardless if it drives off customers. I usually avoid them now unless a new guitar or amp comes out and I can't find it anywhere else.
    [/quote]

And now they won't allow sales people to give you deals. :cry:

7. nvosmeier

nvosmeier New Member

Guitar Center sucks. They use all sorts of tricks to get you to buy. One of their favorite tricks is to offer you a great price on a Gibson guitar, and when you say that you take it, you find that they are not going to give you the case. One time I bought a '61 RI SG from them and they said that they didn't have the case in stock but would have it in a week or so. They told me they would let me know when the case got in. I bought the guitar. 2 weeks past, I called them about the case, they said yes we have cases. I went to get my case. They wanted to charge me $169.00. I told them to check, because the salesman who sold me the guitar made a note about giving me the case when they came in. They told me that the salesman no longer worked there, that he was fired. They would not honor the deal.

At any rate, I complained to Guitar Center. I wrote them a letter, took a couple of surveys online and complained. Nothing. I buy a lot of guitars, but I will not buy them from Guitar Center anymore. Sweetwater is my favorite place, except they are about 150 miles from me. It looks like online is going to be getting some of my business. Just need to stay away from the stores that are really just Guitar Center in disguise.

It is too bad that they treat people that way. People who spend thousands of dollars on guitars and are repeat buyers should get treated better. Instead, they let any kid with no money play guitars that cost thousands, putting their nasty fingerprints, scratches on the guitars, with no intention of buying. I can't stand going into Guitar Center and hearing all that senseless noise.

Good luck on getting any results after complaining. They just don't seem to care.

Anyway, I am done ranting.

8. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Strange...They must have sold the original case then as it hung on the wall. It certainly had to come with a case from the factory.