Guitar Center Horror Story # 1,457.988

Discussion in 'General Music' started by jigman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jigman

jigman Member

Went to pick up my new SG STd Heritage cherry and when I asked him to open the case so I could make sure it was the one I picked--it was but it was in a case that didnt fit. I said "hey thats not an SG case". plus, look at the pressure its putting on the neck joint. He said "oh yeah thats not right we wont send you outta here with that. Upon which I was getting pissed and said the cool thing about buying a Gibson is the great case they supply He said oh yeah its just that we sell the cases seperately and people buy them up so we are out right now. At this point I was about ready to jump across the counter and choke the **** outta this guy. Mainly cuz I knew from the word go they were trying to scam me by seeing if they could pass this bad case off on me. That just got my blood boiling from the start. And, if I would have just said okay or been dumb, he would have just let the whole thing slide. However, I pressed and they said they'd give me a nice gig bag for now and order a real SG case from gibson or another store. I confronted the manager too. I said "I cant believe Gibson allows you to sell their products without the case (as advertised). He said "well Gibson explodes the products when they arrive as seperate items. I said "so, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 SG's that are hanging on yer wall as we speak are without cases then? he said ;ya know I guess so". I said get that case ordered up and I will take this damn gig bag for now and be back fo my case when it gets here. They said ok it will be about 1-2 weeks. I'm thinkin, yeah right. I will keep you all posted. I said how about a warrantee card? doesnt anything come with this guitar. He said "dang, its usually in the card hanging on the guitar...I will stop now but this whole seen was disgusting.

2. weezer_rock_sg

weezer_rock_sg Member

You tell 'em jigman!

3. sgSter

sgSter Member

yep, you can buy the cases' from them. id did 'bout a year ago and know what, when I got it home, it had a waranty card inside, filled-out with serial # etc and truss-rod key for some lonely sg hangin' on the wall.

i'm not sure how you can get that for yours because your right, they are a matched set and these guys will do anything for a sale.

great heads-up jigman.

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Every Fender case I got from GC had stuff in it for some other guitar. They all (Fender, Gibson, etc) ship the guitars IN the case, not seperate.

I once got a nice 52Ri accessory pack! Certif of authenticity, strap, cord, etc etc.

GC is scammin you still.

Your guitar ought to have: truss rod key/screwdriver, "instruction" booklet, and inspection certificate.

I really cannot stand GC.... they've got too many shady practices.

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

I hope you got that "IOU Gibson case" on your receipt.Just sayin'...

6. hambucker

hambucker Member

I used to work for GC and yeah, they sell cases seperately to give the customer a choice (SKB, TKL, etc.). It seems like more and more Gibsons are coming with gigbags anyway. I've been worked in several stores. I would call Monday and make sure the transfer went through. I was an Ops Assistant and you have no idea (well, maybe you do) the flakes that company will hire. In my experience, the sales people are rarely held accountable for mistakes like this. You may also want to check Monday (during the day) and have a warehouse guy check for a case. The case shelves are often so disorganized it is very easy to miss an SG case. The front end sticking out looks like a bunch of other cases. At my home store, we had a case rack about 50' long and 5 shelves high, almost packed with cases stacked 5 high on the top shelf. More times than not, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Depending on where you live, I would think a case could be shipped in less than a week. The average shippment from Chicago to Cali was about 5 business days. I am sure there is a GC closer to you than that distance.

7. backup and lead

backup and lead New Member

yeah i know i got scamed when ibought my sg too they gave me some kind of crappysoft gig bag but it came with truss rod tool and and the sales guy had the nerve to tell me i had to pay for a patch cord

now that i think about it i should said something but i didnt and now aftter reading this post i might go back in there and start kicking some ass........ok not really

8. guitardude300gt

guitardude300gt New Member

When I bought my SG standard at GC about a year ago they tried to scam me out of the case... They said they didn't have one, but then I was going to walk out of there without buying the SKB case they were trying to sell me, and the guy went in the back and conveniently was able to find my case. There must be some sort of conspiracy with GC trying to deprive us of our cases!!

9. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I'm new here but I've got my own Guitar Center case story. I went there to get a case for my Explorer. The salesdude said that the only one they had already had a guitar in it (like you were all saying how Gibson ships the guitars already in the cases), he said he would just take the guitar out and sell me the case for $80. I said OK and he went to get the case. Then he came back and just as I was about to pay for it, the manager or whatever came up to him and whispered something in his ear, and the salesdude immediately told me that there was a problem and he was going to get me another case instead (even though he had already mentioned that they only had one in stock). So him and the manager wander off and I "spy" on them. He didn't even get a different case and came back and told me that the "different case" would cost $139 (even though it was the VERY case that he had just said he would sell me for $80). Sad thing is, I paid the $139 because no other stores in the area had an Explorer case. Oh well. It's a really nice case, though. With the pimp pink lining on the inside. Its probably worth more than the Epi Explorer that I have in it. Oh yeah, the case still had the warranty card and truss rod tool inside from the guitar that used to belong to it.

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I bought my LP R7 from GC and they spent over an hour looking for the case.
    An Art and Historic fitted case for an R7 with the hang tags is hard to find in the mess they have in the back. For an R7 that was in the glass case above the manager's office, they made the effort! I had to get the COA direct from Gibson. They were told up front that I wanted the case and paperwork for the R7 before I would complete the sale. $2450.00 is a big deal to me.....
    A regular guitar may not be so easy to get the original case and paperwork from a big box store. Cases get sold without regard to the guitars that they came in or if they came in without a guitar, what a mish-mosh.
    I bought my SG Standard from Musician's Friend and it came complete with all the original paperwork and the case!

11. Rhubarbrocker

Rhubarbrocker Member

Hi Jigman

That's very sad to hear of your experience.

I can imagine you really researched this purchase, you probably knew everything about the guitar, pickups, tuners etc ,etc.

You searched the net, you read Gibson's blurb and ads.

You went to bed probably dreaming of the day it was finally going to be in your own hands.

So, after all this, your looking forward to a great buying experience and what happens, the retailer pulls a swifty on you.

The point is the retailer should know better, after all, Gibson have done their job and there's the retailer at the end of the chain, totally stuffing the whole experience.

Let's face it, retailing a Gibson would be very easy. It's like honey to a bee.

As a retailer, selling Gibson's, you'd just need to be organised like any well run business, sadly the people you seem to have trusted in don't have those qualities. Maybe they could read this and have a bit of a look at themselves.

I'm sure Gibson must fume when they hear of stories like these.

Hope the guitar is a killer, and this bad experience is washed away.

Rgds Rhubarb Rocker.

12. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Weird, I have bought many guitars over the years at GC and never had any problems. I guess it's just my good (green) looks that get me by. :lol: 8)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I once had my driver's license stolen by a GC employee. I accidentally left it behind and they called me to say it was in the safe. When I got to the store, it was gone and they couldn't explain what had happened to it or who had called me. I think someone decided to use it as a fake id. Hopefully, it wasn't one of the managers (the only ones with access to the safe). That would be pathetic. Pretty pathetic anyway, I guess.

14. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

The thing with GC, Sam Ash... any of em...

Is you really gotta be on your toes, be alert, and know what things ought to cost and ought to come with from the factory. Dont be afraid to walk away... DONT fall in love with anything (or any one) in the store. There's more fish to fry than what they have.

Having said that, I've found better pricing... AND... AND... better service online than I have at any local store. MF has great service, but somewhat less than spectacular pricing on some items. Elderly was fantastic to deal with, the best... they called me up two days after UPS delivered (they must track it), and just wanted to talk and see how I liked it, if there were any problems, very nice call from customer service there. Yes I'll go back. Also, World Music Supply had GREAT service too. No problems at all, quick call backs when they had to check stock etc etc. Very nice outfit, good prices too.

I can't imagine dealing for a guitar with a local outfit, unless I was specifically looking for a used one.

15. hambucker

hambucker Member

Exactly. Unless the price you want it for is outrageous, if you threaten to walk, more times than not you will get your way or something close to it. The thing is to push these guys, and don't be afraid to. When you walk into GC, considerit a used car lot. The guys at GC work on commision, and to get paid on their commission, they have to hit a cetain target goal. Other than that, they all make between $7 and >$8 per hour, and that is certainly not worth what thse guys go through. If they miss that goal, not commission check. If I remember correctly, accessory and guitars guys work on a gross profit percentage and and audio works on gross sales prcentage.

16. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Me Too SGmaniac. No problems with GC or MF so far! :wink:

17. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Let me see if I can illustrate my GC purchases:

Got that 52 Tele RI from them, no hassels really... had to hagger over the price for a 40 percent off list deal, but got it, with case at the price I wanted.

Got a Jazz Bass case, had the JB accessories in it, including guarantee certif, neck key, polishing cloth, strap and cord. Sweet, for just buying a case.

Got a brown tolex Tele case, had the packet of booklets for the Tele in with it.

Got a black tolex Tele case, it had Strat paperwork in it, plus a nice Allen key for the saddles, plus the trem arm for a current USA Strat (wont fit my 79)

Arranged for my friend to buy a used Adamas, they told him the case was fine, it arrived broken, they never made good on it, or refunded his money. The thing was... it was supposed to be $1000 for the guitar, and $100 for the case, but they wrote it up as $1100 for the guitar, never mentioned the case on the sales slip.... hence no claim at all could be made to UPS. They knew it was broken. GC down here in West Palm shipped to my friend in NJ.

Lets see... got a nice Boss DR5 sequencer... it rocks! No problems.

I took advantage of a sale on Celestion speakers, and got eight of them, obvisouly mismarked at $29.95, whereas the best online price was $129.95. Hehehehehe

Got some Gibson pickups once... they had a sale on pickups "50 percent off marked prices on available stock". I went down and took advantage of that.

Got the deal of a lifetime on a lifetimes worth of strings - Fender 150's .010's... 12packs, $9.99!!!! I got a $250 worth. They thought I was nuts, I say... I got strings!!! I keep them wrapped in with some desiccant, they'll last for next to forever.

Got a deal on a tweed Fender case. On sale ALL FENDER cases $89.99. I picked a tweed, got another 52 RI goody pack - electronics conversion kit, new bridge with 6way bridge, cloth, strap, cord and certificate of authenticity... and the normal neck tag and books. <---- That kit comes with every 52RI Tele, btw.

So, I've never been taken, but I KNOW somebody someplace has done without because I made out.

When I was shopping for my Adamas (after Al got his up in NJ), they quoted me something like $1700 plus case. I told em no thinks, they're $1500 with case, online. The response was.... it cant be a first quality item. I actually found one for $1300 online, and Al (he's an Ovation dealer) matched the price, and they drop shipped from Ovation to me!!

So, GC has its ups and downs, you just GOTTA BE CAREFUL

18. hambucker

hambucker Member

Yeah, that was my point exactly. You just gotta watch your arse. Looks like you made out like a bandit.

19. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Never be so much in love with the axe or the deal that your afraid or unwilling to walk away.

20. LOTF

LOTF Member

GC is always pulling that sleazy crap with the cases. When I bought my first Taylor, I went to GC. I had my eye on a 514ce (cedar top, mahogany back and sides) which was selling at a great price. Turns out it was without a case, being an "exploded" guitar. I ended up buying a 314ce, a couple of notches lower on the Taylor scale, but it had its original case and, to my mind, sounded as good if not better than the 514.

The other thing about GC is that anything you buy off the wall has been in several peoples' hands and you need to look for scratches, dings, etc. I doubt I would ever buy a guitar from GC again (though I always go there for strings and accessories). You can get the same price from MF (owned by the same company) and nearly as good and much better service from one of the higher end mail order outfits such as Elderly or Buffalo Brothers.