Guitar Seller gets annoyed when I ask questions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by zane_t, Jun 15, 2020.

1. zane_t

zane_t New Member

Hello guys not sure if this is the right place to ask but...
    Not sure if this is common, but I recently tried to buy a Gibson SG 2017 Alpine White off eBay, and I looked through some images he posted and asked if there are indeed some scratches here and there seen on 2 images or are they just light reflection?. He immediately got annoyed and said if you are picky about a second hand guitar please go buy a new one, I'm not selling anymore.

Then I went ahead and explain I am just asking so I can know what damages comes from the shipping and so there can be insurance claim for it. And I told him am still buying it. (BTW It is a long shipment from US to Asia)

He then replied he don't want me to feel unhappy about the guitar and will upload more pictures in future and probably talk about it next time. So he cancelled my order.

But next day he just posted the exact same guitar with same images. But he blocked me from buying and contacting him...

Does something similar happen to you folks? I just don't get why he got so annoyed... maybe it was culture difference, in my place it is normal for people to ask about damages when buying from online...

Thanks for reading my long ass thread, this is not a flaming thread just wanna ask an opinion is this is actually normal?

jbat and Didds like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

All my current guitars were purchased second hand. Whiskey dents on second hand guitars do not bother me at all, especially if disclosed in photos prior to the sale if purchasing online. Not a fan of buying new guitars and treating them like museum pieces. To me they are tools. I just play them.

Robert Morris likes this.
  3. zane_t

zane_t New Member

Like I said I explained to the seller I was only trying to ask so I could make any claims for insurance that is included in shipping...
    I didn't told him if there are scratches, dents, cracks I am not buying anymore..
    Since seller only briefly mentioned micro scratch on front and back and photos are not super clear.

Then I guess it is not a norm to ask for guitar condition in US and it only pisses them off, ok then I'll very likely not want to buy any guitars online anymore. Thanks...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Didds likes this.
  4. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

You probably scared him away with the insurance claim talk...honestly I don’t blame him, he didn’t want to deal with a potential headache/problem. Although he could’ve been hiding potential issues with the guitar as well.

5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I've encountered an disproportionately high number of seller in the US who sh!t themselves when faced with the unfathomable scare of shipping abroad. There are multiple threads on ebay boards about how much trouble international buyers are, most of them laying bare the ignorance and prejudice of the sellers. (especially if the buyers English isn't perfect) Granted, I don't have the full conversation but it sounds like he's just one of those. Doesn't sound as if you did anything wrong. Dump him and get another one, he's just trouble.

PermissionToLand, fos1, Didds and 2 others like this.
  6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

He may have gotten burned by returns in the past. I'm sure there are people who return used guitars for stupid reasons. Don't take it personally.

Jack Hammer and PermissionToLand like this.
  7. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Sign #1 - eBay.

Sign #2 - seller won't provide further details.

If you pay through PayPal using your own credit (not debit) card you, the buyer, should be protected by eBay, PayPal and your credit card company against fraud, but do your homework.

At this point if I were you I would walk away my friend. SGs may not be two-a-penny Squiers but they're not that rare either. Look on reverb.com for starters.

In deference to the seller, and by no means saying you are one, I have had my share of eBay scammers trying to say deliveries never arrived (when I had paid for full tracking to make sure they did) or that the package got pulverized (but somehow they can't or won't email me photos to prove it). I routinely took photos of high value stuff I sold on eBay before during and after packaging to cover my own derriere.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Yep, this! Sounds to me like seller couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of long distance shipping and used excuses to get rid of you. I’ve seen this before occasionally. Don’t worry, there are plenty of SGs around, there is nothing wrong with asking the questions that you asked, you just had a bad seller.

9. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

If minor scratches that could be confused for light reflections bother you to the point you are actually talking about insurance claims and other BS, do both yourself and the potential seller a favor. Buy new. Seriously, brand new in box. And this is no reflection on you, you want a perfect shiny new guitar, So buy new. If a guitar is played or handled, even those “new” guitars at GC, there will be light scratches. It’s not rocket science to recognize this inevitability and folly not to know yourself well enough that only new in box will work for you. Good luck.

Maybe it’s you who is prejudiced against Americans. Seems pretty clear by your comments. Given the OP’s post, the far more plausible reason is that the seller didn’t want to deal with someone who wants a new guitar at a used price. Regardless of where they hail from. There isn’t a law that forces US sellers to sell to international buyers. The fact that the seller allows international buyers yet rejected this particular buyer further proves your point is erroneous.

It’s unfortunate that some people always assume the worst in other people without a scintilla of fact. This pitchfork and torch outrage club usually consists of the most privileged people on planet earth. Those that can indulge in $6 organic, gluten free muffins and every other luxury item that cannot be had by well over half of the worlds population. Maybe they will get a clue when they find themselves on the receiving end of the outrage without an honest consideration of the facts. Trendy outrage and self righteousness, seems like the new must have accessory for those that have everything.

jbat likes this.
  10. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Don't let the yanks get to you. It's perfectly reasonable to know exactly what you're buying. I had no idea they got this touchy about this stuff either

JackStraw likes this.
  11. ChubbyFingers

^ Without knowing the full facts, seeing the original eBay ad or the correspondence between the two, it's impossible to say who, if anyone, is "at fault" here.

Whilst you're right that there is no obligation for an eBay seller to sell to people overseas, there's also no obligation on the part of the buyer to accept an item which doesn't live up to a genuine, honest and fair description of its condition.

THere's also an option in your eBay listing, I believe, to only accept bids from domestic bidders, not overseas ones.

Whilst I agree if you're buying used you should expect it to have a few "battle scars", if the seller had said it was pristine and it turned out to be less than that, I would back out. If you agreed to buy a car advertised as being in A-1 condition, and you turned up with the Ben Franklins and found it had four flat /worn out tires and a busted out headlight which hadn't been disclosed, I'm sure you would be annoyed too.

One thing worth considering, and I emphasize I don't know this to be a fact, but if the seller had offered free shipping or fixed price shipping assuming, say, it would only be going to the "Lower 48" and the shipping plus insurance costs to the Far East turned out to be exhorbitant, then the seller might naturally get cold feet too.

Finally, this has nothing to do with race, socio-economic group, geographic location or anything else. I've know of millionaires who drove old Minis and garbage collectors who scrimped and saved to buy a Rolls. In fact, I would say people on lower incomes generally expect more value for their money and are less likely to have the resources to buy a slightly less than perfect item and have it fixed.

PS contract law says if either party backs out of a contract, then both parties are entitled to be restored to the financial and other conditions they were in before the contract was entered into. In this case the seller keeps the guitar and the buyer keeps his money.

Robert Morris and Pageburst like this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Geez guys, stop shitting on zane_t.

He asked a simple question and in now way did he show any racism behaviour. He wondered if this could be a culltural difference, like drinking soy milk instead of cow milk. You guy are touchy this morning. Is it full moon ?

Zane_t, maybe next time start by mentionning why you ask about scratches. That might help in getting the gear being happily shiiped to you :h5:

13. ChubbyFingers

^ Milkist!!!! :naughty:

DrBGood likes this.
  14. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Hey DrBGood, I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone was inferring that about Zane. There was another post that quite clearly stated that there was a likelihood that the seller could be a typical, prejudiced, ignorant American and the pushback on that offensive Characterization was completely justified afaic.

15. Von Trapp

Nope, I don't think I'm particularly prejudiced against americans in general, I'm merely relating my experiences. So yeah, I think there's a possibility that the seller is a prejudiced, ignorant american. I did not say "typical" though because the absolute lion part of my ebay.com purchases have been smooth as silk and what I mentioned is just what has stood out.

Nice touch calling me prejudiced and then going into details about "the pitchfork and torch outrage club". I liked that.

16. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

The OPs English is impeccable. Isn’t that by your own words one of your criteria for ignorant American sellers to show our prejudice. Poor English by the Buyer.

So factually, there is nothing in the OPs post to indicate he was a victim of American prejudice or ignorance. Yet you choose to go there.

What should be clear to anyone with intellectual integrity is that the Seller was put off by the buyer demanding more pictures and talking about scratches and shipping claims. Those are the facts provided in the original post. Why the factual obviousness of this eludes you is beyond me. Maybe you were looking for any reason to call American people you never met Prejudiced and ignorant and perpetuate a certain stereotype. And that by the way is the text book definition of prejudice and bias.

You are entitled to your opinion, you even entitled to your own implicit bias if that makes navigating life easier for you. But if you are as enlightened as you imagine yourself you would recognize the facts, admit your comments were inappropriate and move on.

And I’m not outraged. I just have a distaste for blatant Hypocrisy and call it out when i see it.

jbat likes this.
  17. Von Trapp

Answered the OP on topic, explained myself to you off topic, I don't really have anything more to say on either subject. I'm not here to argue with people. But why don't you continue the rest of the argument yourself since you seem perfectly capable of putting words in my mouth as well as your own. Oh, and welcome to everythingsg.com. Try to stay on topic and don't pick unnecessary fights, have fun.

18. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Salty

PermissionToLand and Didds like this.
  19. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

It always amazes me how quickly things go off the rails when we’re typing to each other rather than speaking face to face. For some reason our lizard brain takes over sometimes and it’s off to the land of insults and misinterpretation. If the OP and the seller had done this face to face or in a phone call then it would have been settled quickly and without insult. Now I know this isn’t possible or convenient these days, but it’s just where we’re at as a species in the Information Age. This happens with my wife and kids sometimes and I always have to remind them to just make the phone call and it will be instantly resolved. Again, I realize this isn’t always practical, but man, this one here went bad quickly.
    This ‘ignorant, prejudiced American‘ comment is in itself a perfect example of ignorance and prejudice. I get it, I have been ignorant and prejudiced in my youth, but I like to think I’ve gotten a little better in my years.

I could go on about how proud and blessed I am to be an American, but my wife is making meat loaf and It’s lunch time here in northern Nevada.

Peace

20. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I am an feebay seller who will not ship internationally. The reason being the simple fact that we all know how "delicate, and tender" the peoples hands are as they ship this from USPS to Japan Post, or whatever. I understand the seller NOT wanting to ship it overseas, with feebays buyer protection, the seller always gets screwed in conflicts because he didn't show that 1.8 inch ding in the bottom horn of the guitar, but that didn't give him the right to be an assh*le about it and blocking the OP from buying it.

Keep searching my friend, you will find something better, cooler and cheaper!

Pageburst likes this.