haha, typical me

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bmwlover0725, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

Well, I got a new laptop... I tried putting Windows Vista Beta 2 on it because I hate XP. I guess I should wait till they release it. I burned the disk on the wrong speed and it happens to be the ONE file out there that needs a specific burning speed. I now have to wait until tomorrow so I can have my friend burn it at the right speed. If that doesn't work I'll have to wait a couple weeks for the beta disk from microsoft to come. In the mean time I will have to have my friend help me put XP back on because I have to reimage my hard drives. I'm better and building computers than installing software. I really hate myself for doing this. So yes I screwed something else up this time lol, just wanted to tell everyone because thats why I havent been on. I've been working on that and I'll be at my Dad's this weekend in New York City, so if I can get it working here, I'll get it to work there. I'm also going to some HUGE guitar stores while I'm there ;D

Talk to you all soon!

-Anthony

2. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

OMG!!! :o

why do you hate XP so bad, and what makes you think Vista will be so much better? Cuz Microsoft told you so?
    . . . puh-leez! :p

How can you be good at building computers and not be able to install an operating system?
    . . . did you ever think to image your drive before trying out a piece of beta software (especially an operating system)?
    what if something goes wrong?

[size=14pt]BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP[/size]
    . . . geez when will people ever get it thru their heads that computers screw up (especially when they screw with them)
    . . . and why is it that they have to screw with them at all when they have no idea what the hell they are doing!
    . . . a complete backup (preferrably an image) will save you tons of trouble, time and effort in the long run

and people wonder why sys-admins act like such a-holes sometimes
    . . . I'm sorry, but the real a-holes are usually the stupid users we have to dig out of their own crap on a regular basis!!! >:(

. . . sorry . . . hit a nerve . . . I'm okay now

3. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

leave a voice mail

4. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

what's wrong with Xp? believe you me, this will have been before your time Anthony but Xp kick-ass compared to let's say windows 98(SE) Windows ME, Windows NT (and the workstation one!). trust me Xp is the shiznit. and if you don't like go to mac! don't screw around with beta of flaw ridden Vista versions. also I completely agree with Vix on this. and one final thing, RTFM RTFM!

aslo why do you want Vista? nothing you have now will run on it, there's no Vista drivers out yet either, it;s about as much good as Xp 64-bit edition!

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

What brand of laptop is it bmwlover......?

Vista may never work on it and if it does, the overhead will make the laptop run slower than molasses running down the side of an iceberg. If it's a Compaq, you are double screwed as a lot of the hardware is proprietary and they don't give out the drivers like Dell.

XP SP2 is stable as a rock and almost bulletproof. I started in CP/M and moved to MS-DOS 1.0. I used to have to write my own freaking drivers and BIOS subroutines.

Now my problem is that I have over 100 applications loaded and 4 hd's and it's sometimes hard to find where I buried the files.
    Not to mention my PC is a full tower with 14 fans and sounds like a Harrier doing a vertical takeoff. I'm too cheap to replace anything that ain't broke so I keep it to piss off the neighbors with the 300 watt THX certified sound system while I edit multitrack recordings.....he he, fook the Harrier noise!

Oh yeah.....Backup often, lose less! ;)

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

spunky -- pics!

8. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

I am running Vista Beta 2 with no problems except for my Scanner driver. All the other drivers are there and several more will be included in the final version but not everything you will need.  A good video card with 256mb will run great, 128mb does okay. 

If you want to play with a new OS, remember it is Beta which mean there WILL be some problems.  Why not divide your drive into multiple partitions and install XP on one for day-to-day use and put Vista on the other.  That way when Beta 3 and RC1 come out, you can easily reinstall and not mess with your every day OS.

The 64bit XP ran good but I did have to buy a new video card hat had 64 bit drivers.  My scanner wouldn't work, because of lack of drivers, but the deal breaker was that there were no 64 bit drivers for my color laser.  I reverted back to XP Media Center edition and everything is running fine.  I have Vista on a second drive along with Office 2007 Beta and overall I'm pleased.

From the Microsoft site:

Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

9. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Gates to leave day-to-day role at Microsoft
    Chairman to devote more time to charitable works.
    By Amanda Cantrell, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    June 15, 2006: 6:05 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Microsoft announced Thursday that chairman and co-founder Bill Gates will transition out of a day-to-day role at the company, effective July 2008, to spend more time working on his charitable foundation.

Gates will then work part-time at Microsoft (up $0.19 to $22.07, Charts) as chairman and technical adviser and will work full time for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the organization he founded with his wife, which focuses on global health and education.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates announcing Thursday that he is stepping down from his day-to-day role with the company by July 2008.

"I've decided that two years from today, I will reorganize my personal priorities," Gates said during a news conference, adding,"I have one of the best jobs in the world."

"I believe with great wealth comes great responsibility - the responsibility to give back to society and make sure those resources are given back in the best possible way, to those in need," he said. Gates added, "It's not a retirement, it's a reordering of my priorities."

The company's chief technical officer, Ray Ozzie, will immediately assume the title of chief software architect and begin working side by side with Gates on all technical architecture and product oversight responsibilities. Ozzie became chief technical officer of Microsoft in April 2005, when Microsoft bought Groove Networks, the company Ozzie founded.

Craig Mundie, the current chief technical officer, will take the new role of chief research and strategy officer, also effective immediately. Mundie will work closely with Gates to assume his responsibility for the company's research and incubation efforts, Microsoft said. Mundie also will partner with the company's general counsel Brad Smith to guide Microsoft's intellectual property and technology policy efforts. Mundie, 56, joined Microsoft in 1992.

Ozzie and Mundie will continue to report to Gates until the transition is complete, when they will begin reporting to Ballmer.

Shares of Microsoft fell slightly, by about 0.4 percent, in after-hours trading.

"They really did give a very long lead time in terms of prepping investors for his departure, and it's only a partial departure at that," said Michael Cohen, director of research at Pacific American Securities. "I think that was good in terms of muting the effect on the stock."

"It's been my privilege to work shoulder to shoulder with a true visionary... who has now headed, in my opinion, one of the greatest philanthropies of all time," said Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer during the conference.

Gates co-founded Microsoft, which makes the ubiquitous Windows operating system, with Paul Allen in 1975, and took the company public in 1986. He remained CEO of the company until 2000, when Ballmer took the reins.

That year, Gates formed his charitable foundation, which now has $29.1 billion in assets. For their work with the foundation, Gates and his wife were chosen, along with rock singer Bono, as one of Time Magazine's Persons of the Year in 2005.

10. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

I love making fun of myself too :?

11. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Wealth......what a subject!

Is Bill Gates the SMARTEST man at MICROSOFT? I doubt it.

But he may just be the luckiest guy in the world for being
    in the right place at the right time.

Is he a happy man? I don't know.

Wealth doesn't buy happiness but you know
    the next time you're hungry, you'll be able to eat.

Will giving away billions make the world a better place?

Maybe, if he stops his limo and gets out on the way
    to some charitable or organizational event and takes
    a good look around him.

Alot of those foundations are top heavy and are good
    for slapping each other on the back and providing the
    media for some great photo ops.

As Bruce Coockburn said: "Charity begins at home and
    we're not talking about a toliet and a telephone...."

(Well, he could pay to get my front porch fixed, put my house
    on a REAL foundation, a garage and a nice driveway too and I'd be happy)

:funny:

12. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Indoor plumbing too, veek?

13. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

What's indoor plumbing?
    Ya mean...? Not in a house!!!

14. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=vic108 link=topic=8949.msg114993#msg114993 date=1150423279]

What's indoor plumbing?
    Ya mean...? Not in a house!!!
    [/quote]

;)

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Bill is married to a geek chick...freaking Melinda.......

NOT my cup of tea in the horizontal position... :o

16. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

not my cup of tea in ANY position :p

You would think with all that money he coulda bought himself a hotter chick than that
    . . . he should take some lessons from Hugh Hefner

17. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Looks like the wicked witch of the East in the Wizard of Oz.

[​IMG]

Wait till she is 65....OMG

18. erik

erik Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=8949.msg115025#msg115025 date=1150427595]
    Looks like the wicked witch of the East in the Wizard of Oz.
    [/quote]

:rofl: guess money cant buy everything

19. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

An intellectual equal was probably more important to him.

20. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

bad enough they all think they are as smart as we are . . .
    . . . who would want a woman that actually was ;D