haha, typical me

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bmwlover0725, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

yeah,

what Bluz said! ;)

2. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

I try to find the ones that don't think too much..... :lol:

3. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

as long as they're thinkin about ways to please, me . . . a little thinking is ok

4. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

no problems so far, the laptop is an HP dv8233cl, but I've modified it, it came with 256 video ram and I put 2 gigs into it for memory and 2 100 gig hard drives, it has an intel core duo which means its kind of like two processors, its running at 1.66 which is multiplied by two, so 3.32ghz. I am upgrading that as well so this pc has no problem running vista, I am back on it now and its working, I have screwed up some stuff testing it, but its all good, I like it better than XP... however, XP was the best windows version ever IMO. This pc shouldn't have had trouble running it with stock hardware, it had the windows vista capable sticker on it anyway.

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=8949.msg114717#msg114717 date=1150345136]
    I tried putting Windows Vista Beta 2 on it because I hate XP.
    [/quote]

[quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=8949.msg116254#msg116254 date=1150865119]
    I like it better than XP... however, XP was the best windows version ever IMO.
    [/quote]

:-\ :-\ :?

6. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

actually those duo-core processors wont give you double the performance any more than actual dual CPUs will
    . . . two 500mhz CPUs would not give you a 1 Ghz machine

(very) simply put:

In theory it could if all things were perfectly designed, but there is a lot more going on then you realize
    . . . instructions have to be threaded to separate congruent streams, processed and merged back again to be routed to the other components of the system
    this pre and post processing incurs some overhead . . . and is not 100% efficient
    . . . in addition, to take full advantage of the capabilities, you need software that is optimized for such an envrionment
    most software is not . . . and even if your operating system is, the applications you run on top of it are likely not

Are duo core processors faster? in most cases yes . . . you will gain a significant perfomance increase in many ways . . . especially at the rudimentary functional level of the operating system (if it is truly mult-thread, multi-processor capable) . . . but you will never double your speed

The greatest advantage here is for the CPU manufacturer, Intel . . . who can place two cores on a single wafer of silicon
    . . . this reduces cost of manufacture a great deal by making it possible to put 'dual processors' in a single CPU package

7. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Zepp I was curious about that too. I guess it is possible to hate the best of the worst, if I am reading BMW correctly. I guess he hated Win2k, ME 98, 95, 3.x, etc even more!!

8. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=8949.msg116293#msg116293 date=1150895409]
    [quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=8949.msg114717#msg114717 date=1150345136]
    I tried putting Windows Vista Beta 2 on it because I hate XP. 
    [/quote]

[quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=8949.msg116254#msg116254 date=1150865119]
    I like it better than XP... however, XP was the best windows version ever IMO. 
    [/quote]

:-\ :-\ :?
    [/quote]

dont even try zep, i gave up many suns ago :?

9. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

ditto 'Blood. Just trying to make it through the days without BMWL confusing me.

@ Tom, I doubt he's ever seen 3.x or 95. then again, I'm about 18 and have worked with DOS 1.0 those were the days. who needs a GUI?

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

On the dual processor thing, I once had an ABIT dual PIII machine I built.

It wasn't "faster" than other machines, it was "wider". It did more, and could do more heavy duty stuff than even my P4 3g machines.
    I could edit film, burn CD's and do all sorts of processor intensive things... multitasked quite easily on that machine.

It was a truck (till it caught fire)

11. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

caught fire? tell me more!

12. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I severely overclocked it, it held up till a cap burst, and the board caught fire. The processors still work, and are being used, but the board is literally toast. So was the case.

13. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Way cool Ceebs.....

A VOX PC.....caught fire and burned to the ground! ;D

14. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

ahhh..now i see what you were saying about the caps when i was trying ot fix my dual processor box ceebs!!