Hard Shell Case - 1963 SG Special Ultra Light Aged Classic White

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by lawrev, Sep 7, 2021.

1. lawrev

lawrev Active Member

Hi All,

I took delivery last Thursday of a brand new SG Special Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged 1963 reissue. I have to do a NGD post and that is coming soon. It is a fantastic guitar - the color of butter - more like creme than a classic white. Looks like butter and plays like butter!

My question has to do with the hard shell case. It came with a black / gold hard shell Custom Shop case, which I've seen on other non - Murphy Lab guitars. The Gibson website says this guitar should come with the brown/pink Lifton reissue 5 latch.

I am definitely not returning the guitar - it is a fantastic piece of work. While on the one hand it sounds petty to complain about a guitar case, on the other hand this is a $4000 Murphy Lab guitar and it seems appropriate to get the proper case.

Thoughts - and has anyone had the same issue? Thanks.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Member

You should have the correct case. It IS a big deal, at least it would be for me.

3. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a misprint on Gibson's part. If you look at the "regular", i.e. non-aged, Custom Shop 1963 SG Junior and Special pages, it specifies a Black/Yellow Custom Shop Hardshell. I don't know why the Murphy Lab would receive a different case. Wouldn't the Black/Yellow be more historically correct?