Hardest thing for me to do EVER!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by shreddy bender, Jun 18, 2014.

1. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

What a crappy afternoon!
    I was at my fiberglassing job having a beer after work when my boss came in from the back room and said "there's a young raccoon in there and I think he's dying. I'm no good with this kind of stuff!"
    Well everyone was leaving so I heaved a heavy sigh and said " I need some work gloves, and I'm stealing some of Kitty's food, I'll get some water and let's hope for the best.".
    Well that plan failed. I came back as everyone was getting ready to leave and gave the bad news.
    Told my boss I'd lock up and take care of it and he said "I'm sorry man."
    I did everything I could to encourage the little guy to go but it seemed he was in bad shape- his back legs were sprawled out and he was breathing weakly. When I picked him up to take him outside he snareld but didn't flinch. I heard his mom and sister on the roof then went outside and saw them checking me out. I told them I'd try my best. I put wet cat food out and he turned his head the other way.
    He was whimpering as best I can describe. The poor little fella.
    At that point I cried as I knew what I had to do.
    I dug a 3x3 hole and then after much summoning of courage and soul searching justification used the shovel to break his neck. I talked calmly and reassuringly to him the whole time and cried.
    The whole time it was pouring down rain.
    When I finished filling the grave I turned around and there was a rainbow!
    My eyes were watering more than the downpour!
    Sorry to be a downer, but I've never had to do this kind of thing and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. I consider you folks friends -just friends I've never met face to face but friends none the less. Just feeling a little sad for a poor animal.
    Thanks for reading this!

Moose, milesdeem, Alex_SG and 3 others like this.
  2. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

You did the right thing, shreddy. Doesn't make it any easier. I've had to put animals out of their misery before, and it's awful.

I don't know why killing healthy ones is exhilarating but a mercy killing on a dying one is heartbreaking.

milesdeem, Alex_SG and shreddy bender like this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Shreddy,
    I am very sorry you had to go through that. But you must realize,(I know you do) that you helped. Suffering in any creature is a horrible thing to witness, and easing that in whatever manner needed, is the right thing to do. All dogs---and raccoons go to Heaven :-)
    These things are never easy and for every 3 critters my wife has saved there is 1 that just didn't make it. I have dug a number of those holes, rain, shine, hot or cold it is never ever easy. Hang in there, and know he is running and playing in an eternal meadow with big fat tasty treats.

milesdeem likes this.
  4. shreddy bender

Thanks Lead and eS.G., It's been a couple of hours and I'm still wiping tears. I've accepted the fact and I know what I did was right as the rainbow was a DIRECT sign. It was Instant! Still sucks though. I've always said I won't kill it if I'm not going to eat it , but this was way different- The poor little guy...
    Thanks again for the support! And to think yesterday, I was saying how uninspired I was. Careful what you say!

LeadFinger and eS.G. like this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I said I was never going to get married and would never have kids!!!!!! Soo true Shreddy so true! Watch what ya say LoL. :-)

....hhmm "idea"............. I will NEVER be Rich, nope I WILL NEVER be rich ....nope never ever never ever be rich. .....(hope this works) :-)

milesdeem likes this.
  6. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear this but you did the right thing. I'm sure it was hard to do and I cant imagine how difficult it must have been mentally.

shreddy bender likes this.
  7. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Shawn, I have had to put down various animals, whether native or introduced, and it is never easy, or pleasant. You did the right thing, bro...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Today is almost bound to better, bro. I feel for ya.

9. shreddy bender

Thanks everyone. Today has been better. I just finished painting all the trim on the duplex I helped build this spring and it's almost done.
    Maybe I'm going mental but as I walked to the store for smokes on coffee break I saw a cloud that looked like a raccoon's face.:)

milesdeem and Biddlin like this.
  10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Shreddy I've dealt with this many times in the years I've been around. Buried many of my own critters and had put some out of their misery too. Damned hard to do. I like critters of all sorts (except for snakes and such) and have the time of my life hanging out with them in my woods. I understand your feelings trying to avoid what you had to do, yet having the strength to follow through in spite of it. Your heart is in the exact right place little brother.

I recall the worst was years ago, when in the mounted unit at the PD, one of our officers and his mount were hit by a car. The horse was in awful shape and suffering real bad. The scene was total chaos and we could hear the horse scream at times. Cars everywhere and lots of traffic to move. In the confusion, that officer got up off the pavement with a broken leg and lots of personal damage and limped to his horse. He dropped beside his horse and tried to sooth him some, then we heard a shot while we were clearing traffic and making room for the ambulance for the injured officer. My horse had jumped at the shot and I turned to see our wounded officer beside his horse with his head lowered into his hands and his pistol in his lap. I'll never forget that day.

The officer recovered in time from his wounds, but left the mounted unit and transferred over to patrol to work the street and shag calls for service. We'd see him now and then afterward out on the streets, but he'd just wave and give a short smile as recognition of the mounted officers he'd see. He never spoke of that day and none of us ever brought it up either. It was understood......

11. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

My family buried my oldest sister up in Chicago this weekend. It is a loss that can't be described. Don't take you family for granted.

Animals are different. Some just need to die. Some should only be killed for eating.

To the original poster, I really understand your feelings and please realize that others have had the same emotions and feelings as you have had.

This doesn't make killing an animal any easier and deep down, know that you are alleviating pain and suffering for the critter.

In reference to the previous post, that was a bad day. Really sorry for you. This horse was three years old when I bought him in 1983. He was a good friend. Age crept up and his health failed terribly. Had to bury him in 2010. Still hurts. Music and friends help greatly.

Attached Files:

12. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

.. I got something in my eye .. um, seez y'all another time ..

13. shreddy bender

Haven't seen you in a while Blackie!. Thanks for posting Bro! I've come to terms as it's been a few days!

14. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

.. seems I made a thread that others got political in and I was given a vacation from mlp for a week .. grumble ..

.. of course I do own about 4 or 5 Gibson SG's .. so I always check in anyway ..

.. and by my hand I have put down a few animals, so I know of the feelings ..

15. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

:( I feel ya Shreddy. I too am a softy for animals.

16. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

Shreddy, you have a good soul. :o

shreddy bender and eS.G. like this.
  17. macdog

macdog Member

You did the right thing mate and we are proud of you. Courage and compassion. Doesn't get much better than those two.

shreddy bender, eS.G. and Alex_SG like this.
  18. LPBR

LPBR Active Member

You did the right thing by abreviating the suffering of the poor animal. Thanks God I never had to do this till the day, but I already stayed by the side of a couple dying dogs and it is not easy.

Peace man!

:)