Harmomics

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by hellsbellsx81, Mar 23, 2006.

1. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

use a heavy pick and a wah. choke up on the pick and use the tip and pluc hard. for me, i hit the string where the 24th fret would be, because its a natural harmonic point.

2. erik

erik Member

[quote author=timmywear link=topic=7472.msg108628#msg108628 date=1148350968]
    [quote author=muzak link=topic=7472.msg94974#msg94974 date=1143142876]
    pig squeels as in noise guitar? give me some examples of bands that utilize the style you speak of. i'm pretty nifty when it comes to untraditional noise guitar playing. that's what i do.
    [/quote]

ok how do you make the sound in panama about 20-30 sec into the song (that little riff)
    [/quote]

by riff I assume your talking about this part?:

< > = harmonic
    all the notes are 8th notes

|---0-----0-----<5>------------<5>--------------------------------------|
    |------4------4------- -<4>--------------<0>-<0>-<0>-<0>-------|
    |----------4------4-----------<4>--------<4>-<4>-<4>-<4>------|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------------0-|

I think he is just playing the harmonics with heavy distortion

sorry if this is not the part you were looking for and if i didnt explain enough...

3. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

wow I hate it, I can't figure it out... I need to go back to lessons

4. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

wow, my friend came over and showed me... its actually kind of easy, just needs practice to get really good... another thing that is somewhat tough is the harmonic opening to the song suite-pee by system of a down... its all natural harmonics, but its kind of difficult... I still havent got it perfect and I've been working on it for 20 minutes

5. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

[sarcasm] oh my god, a whole of twenty minutes? perhaps you need to have a little rest and let those hands recover, because that is a long time to spend practising! [/sarcasm]

get a grip, if anything you've mastered everything you tried up to now within 20 minutes you're either very good or you've been playing things that are too easy for you...

6. timmywear

timmywear Member

[quote author=Daniel link=topic=7472.msg119467#msg119467 date=1151939745]
    [sarcasm] oh my god, a whole of twenty minutes? perhaps you need to have a little rest and let those hands recover, because that is a long time to spend practising! [/sarcasm]

get a grip, if anything you've mastered everything you tried up to now within 20 minutes you're either very good or you've been playing things that are too easy for you...
    [/quote]
    lol

7. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

[quote author=timmywear link=topic=7472.msg119773#msg119773 date=1152061155]
    [quote author=Daniel link=topic=7472.msg119467#msg119467 date=1151939745]

[/quote]
    lol
    [/quote]

yeah...i was gonna say...expecting to master a song in 20 mins...nah-uh

8. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Well it shouldn't really take long to learn a song fully and to a good playing extent, depending on your experience of course. If I learn a new song I usually get it right in about 20 mins. This usually means I already know the song inside-out if I want to learn it, but getting each riff, run and chord right and remembered isn't hard to do. Once again, depending on experience and ability. I'm sure there's quite a few people on here able to do it faster.

9. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

ok I'm sure people like Weas, and 6'er who are pretty accomplished players can get a song down in about 20 mins, but somehow i doubt your average Joe could get I donno lets say SRV's version Little Wing down in about 20 minutes...

10. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Well what I said then was just me personally, I don't learn many songs unless its something for the band. Some Twisted sister, Priest, Megadeth whatever. That sort of style isn't hard to play. Depends on what you want to learn though too.

11. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Songs that are out of your normal style usually take longer because you may not be used to the progression patterns, tempos, etc...... But they are still do-able. The more you learn (song wise) the more background it will give you and the easier it becomes to figure out new songs.

12. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I'll go with 6er on that one. When I was in high school my final exam in music theory was to re-write the theme from M.A.S.H. for a jazz ensamble ......took me forever but I did it and got an A+ O0

13. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

ahhhhh the sweet sweet squeels of a new pack a strings. nothing sweeter. If you want to hear tasteful squels listen to some GNR. I find its easier to learn squels by bending the fretted note that your squeeling. once oyuve masterd it though, its pretty cool! keep on practicing.

14. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

now we're on the subject of harmonics, any tips on getting natural harmonics to ring nicely? need to get that Portrait of Tracy down properly now. I allready just use the Bridge pickup on my bass and I pick over it (with my fingers) I have .110 gauge strings (heaviest Rotosounds around). anybody know anything else I can do to improve them?