Have money, wanna buy one ! Help

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by BattleOvce, Jul 28, 2020.

1. BattleOvce

BattleOvce New Member

New member here, Hello !
    I always wish to own a Gibson SG. Now I work, have budget (probably not very High? max is 1300€), wanna buy one.
    I need advice which one to pick.

Thinking of
    SG standard 2015 - know it has issues with zero fret nut, I am OK with replacement, tuner could work, no problem from my side if I replace it, but I am worried of the electronics, Could it be an issue on long run? What is a decent price to pick it right now? it varry from 900-1300€, lower price is more rare. Good buy? Historic value later ? Alsom I am ok with signature, but crown would be better, but whatever...

Next thing, SG 61 reissue 2012 (worm brown) and 2002 (classic cherry) is avaible to pick for 1200€ let say. Just classic SG, good or bad guitar in that year? any known issues ? Should I pick rather this than STD 2015?

Should I look somewhere else? Some specific year?
    I am adicted to the natural looking guitar, you know bronw lookning wood grain under glossy finish.

Thank you all for comments.

arcticsg likes this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean about the electrics on a 2015?

One of the best places to get guide prices is Reverb. Not sure what country you're in, but prices will vary by region - I just checked Reverb in the UK and the mid point price for a 2015 Standard converts to 889 euros, with a a range of about 150 either side, so it sounds like UK prices are lower.

2015s were 30%+ more expensive when new, but then got cleared out, often at 50% off retail, so became good value. Used prices are probably still a bit lower, due to being less popular and 'different', but not really at the level of being bargains. However, they were well made, Gibson did try to deliver good quality for that higher price, and many of the non-standard features are actually improvements IMHO.

Historic value in the future? Unlikely. Demand drives prices as much as supply, and the demand for this model is never likely to push it's price above the everyday SG price range. If your intention is to get a keeper, I'd say you're best off not considering possible future price rises, they're too unpredictable, but could lead you into making a 'less good' choice of instrument from a playing perspective.

Broadly speaking, there are no good/bad years for SGs, just years where some features may appeal more or less to you as an individual. Gibson have often been a bit poor at QC, but that's something that impacts a small number of instruments in any year, rather than creating good or bad years. Ideally, get to play a few SGs, and get to know the specs for any years you're considering, The SG Wiki that @PermissionToLand has created is a good place to start doing that.

Once you know what you like, and what different years offer, you can decide which are your good/bad years to pick from. :)

...and welcome to the forum!

PermissionToLand and BattleOvce like this.
  3. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

What unit of value its that C

4. BattleOvce

BattleOvce New Member

I mean printed circuit board. Dont wanna imagine if someting goes wrong how much repair would cost. Also not sure if I can get titanium zero fret nut in 2020. 2015 SGs which are offered still have brass nut.

I am from Czech Republic. Our SG market is niche. I can try SG STD or 61 only in capital city and I live in 3rd larges city. Its a shame. les pauls are are everywhere .... Jez..

Thanks for handy links

5. BattleOvce

BattleOvce New Member

Euros

6. laza616

laza616 New Member

Its Euros
    I bought 2009 Gibson SG standard, cherry For 800€
    In May this year
    The guitar was in great conditions, had some normal wear from playing
    If i were you i would tried few SGs because there were some special runs like 60s tribute or 70s tribute. I like the 60s tribute. Tried one and i still regret i didnt buy it when i had a chance to for 450€ in top condition..... I wanted SG standard so Bad because of the fretboard binding (lol) so i passed on that one. Mistake
    Try few as there are models with slim neck too
    There are some comments on the internet claiming that some years Gibson guitars were worse. Its bullshhhht in my opinion, from the hundreds of guitars they produce there is always some that is not as good as others, and someone got it and instantly hates the entire Brand, year and whatnot.... Thats why you should test the guitar first before buying it
    I did not do it last week on ebay, i risked and IT was good i was Lucky.
    But there is no Bad year in my opinion. Faulty piece doesnt mean Bad year or the whole batch. I held one Gibson (Explorer) that was like QC was done on Late friday afternoon .......still IT was not Bad guitar. After some tweaks i am sure its good guitar and its current owner likes it

Slick George likes this.
  7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome to the board. :smile:

The 2015 SG Standard is one of my favorites. There’s all kinds of extra little goodies that come with this model. ‘57 pups, low profile neck joint, coil splitting, real MOP inlays, and more.

The 2015 SG Standards do not use PCB, they are hand wired old school.

Btw, Gibson is real good about sending out a titanium nuts to replace the brass ones on the 2015s.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/SG-Standard.aspx

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I just had a look at what Thomann's euro prices are like, and they're selling the 2020 SG Standard for €1.319, which makes me think anything over €950 for a 2015 would be a bit high, and €1300 is a bit crazy, might as well get a new one. :)

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Repairing a circuit board is no more or less expensive than a regular setup. And no more or less prone to failure. Unless you go in there messing with the wiring, the original solder joints will effectively last forever.

arcticsg likes this.
  10. Skulltula

Skulltula New Member

It depends what's wrong with it. In the worst case of component failure a decent replacing wiring loom isn't horrendous. You could budget for that as a preference thing you think you'd do anyway. Perhaps if you were considering a pickup swap anyway for example. I wouldn't be overly worried about the PCB failing though if you were leaving the electrics stock.

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO ETSG!

I agree with almost all of my colleagues here...
    All good comments. Pay attention to them.

I also think 1300 Euros is a high price, and you
    can probably find one for less. Or get a new one.

The 2015s that I have seen have been utterly lovely.
    For some players, the wider neck was a problem.
    But this would be no problem for me. I enjoy guitars with many different neck shapes.

Good luck in your search. There are lots of excellent SGs
    for sale, maybe in nearby countries if not close to you.

Gibson SG Standard (AND the '61 Reissue) are among
    the best guitars that are made anywhere. Any of them would be a fine choice.

Don't forget to allow some Euros in your budget to
    get your new SG set up by the best luthier you can find or afford. ALL newly purchased guitars need this, no matter what brand they are, or how new or how old.
    Setup is crucial. Get it done right and protect your
    investment.

papagayo and arcticsg like this.
  12. laza616

laza616 New Member

Couldnt agree more with the Buddy above me

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Welcome,

The fret zero is perfect to adjust low action, with us$1300 you can catch a '61 Ri, no problem.

14. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher New Member

It's probably been said, I haven't looked beyond your question...
    Go out to shops (guitar, general music stores, pawn shops, any place that has an SG), try them out for playability, feel, comfort, sound...oh, yeah, price... you don't want to blow it all if you don't have to.
    If you buy online, buyer beware...
    If you're adventurous, build a kit, like I'm doing...
    Have fun with your search, my friend...it all to your liking.

15. BattleOvce

BattleOvce New Member

I agree, feels really high (1250 + 100 shipping), I can afford new Gibson or 61reissue in excelent condition. On reverb there is or was 2015 STD cherrry for 889 euro, but the translucent ebony seems to be rare finish. Just patience must be my buddy and something will appear on internet or in a next town, who knows :D

16. BattleOvce

BattleOvce New Member

Really thank you all for nice comments and good advices above, helping me be more patient a awere, hope you know what I mean, it helps setting my mind to stand by mode, be more mature, focused, not being affected with passion which can lead to blidness :D

17. mgdesigns

mgdesigns New Member

Just get an SG Standard with Vibrola, no zero fret, and preferably the small pickguard as in earlier models. Pretty, clean, powerful, and a keeper. I had 2 in my life, a real '63 that got stolen in 1969, and a replacement 1969, that I foolishly traded with a '63 Strat and Echoplex, and a real wah-wah pedal for a new 1976 Martin D-35 (it got stolen in 1983). Get a Cherry finished and you'll be a happy camper.

18. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 New Member

With a budget above 1000€ you can get a lot of Sg! Don't know wher you're from, but you can consider a good Standard, or a Special with money left for upgrades/mods if you want, and even a 61RI. You also can consider some mid-vintage ones, from the 80's or 90's, if that's what you prefer.
    Only some limited runs and / or rare colors can cost above this 1300 price tag (and "real" vintage, from the 70's and before).
    With that money, if I where you,
    1. I'd take my time to try some guitars,
    2. I'll chose the best I can find!

Don't rush, Sg are not "rare" guitars on the used market, but they can be very different from one to another (feeling in hands, tone, etc.).

Be sure to get the one you'll lova, play and keep!

19. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

No problems with my 2015 so far at all. I got used to the neck, not a big deal. Best sounding guitar I've ever played in decades.