Have you seen this kind of guitar?

laza616

Reaction score
Hey fellas
I had this guitar for like a month and something and i always forgot to open this topic
Its made of mahogany that is basically two thinner pieces laminated of i can tell it like that
Did you stumble upon this before ?
And what do you think about it?
Also it has a different poly finish, its like thin really. IMG_20211117_210055-01.jpeg IMG_20211117_210105_BURST1-01.jpeg IMG_20211117_210156-01.jpeg

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
It's clearly an SG type guitar. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with laminating several pieces of wood - in fact that can make for better stability against humidity change. Plywood will always perform mechanically much better than the same thickness of ordinary wood. The question is - does it play well?

laza616

Reaction score
Its actually the first Epiphone G400 from 1989 , Korean made, old headstock type as Gibson, dot inlays, open coil humbuckers, no binding.
Its my best SG, the sustain is unbelievable, rings unplugged like a bell.
Plays and sounds great, comfortable as hell. Even the guitar Luthier that set it for me and changed nut for nubone said its one of the best guitars he played, and most comfortable.
The only thing is the finish, its almost like on my Gibson SG standard. But this is not nitro

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I like the looks, it almost appears to be "bookmatched" from the side rather than the top. As stated above, laminated solid bodies are about as stable as it gets without switching to something besides wood. Looks like a great guitar.

laza616

Reaction score
Yes its booomatched
I would be honest. I bought it online, it was 32 years on the wall, i didnt try it or even saw it with my own eyes
If i knew it was laminated i would not buy it because i always thought the solid are superior unmeasurably
But this guitar has blown me away, its gonna turn 33 years this April and everything is stock, except for the nut. I had to swap it for the Tusq by Graptech because the old one was badly filed and set. The tuners and bridge and everything else is stock.
I have to check what pups are these because i really dig the sound.
What is odd in is the finish as i mentioned. I mean its odd only as i cant tell if its some better poly or what, because its very thin, very smooth and fast on the neck, not sticky
But i never saw the finish like that. It is pretty similar to the nitro on Gibson sg standard but its poly. Could it be that the time did it or they used some different poly back then?

laza616

Reaction score
Is it already a vintage? I mean, its from 1989 which is closer to 1961 than to today

TChalms

Reaction score
I really like that side view. I love seeing the wood grain, and bookmatched like that is gorgeous. Good catch!

Huntroll

Reaction score
I don't doubt that your guitar is awesome.
Luckily you found each other.
I do agree that the guitars that magically come together like that are the spice of life.
For making music that makes the world go around.

laza616

Reaction score
If you look closely on the finish left of the cable input, you can notice that the finish is in the pores and its not thick, but very thin

papagayo

Reaction score
Yes, it' s a chinese Custom Shop, champagne !

Temp 47810.JPG

everdying

Reaction score
good buy on what looks like a closet guitar... unplayed / untouched since 1989...even the stickers are all there...
anyway these were made by samick back then...

jtees4

Reaction score
Holy crap, I thought those pix were of a brand new guitar!! Amazing. Play the crap out of it.

Latest posts