Headstock snapped right off

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
The other day my gator frameworks gave out and destroyed my 3 month old 2021 SG standard I loved especially since I put 57 classic/plus set. To me the break looks beyond fixable but I have no knowledge on this.

I had my back turned about ten feet away from the guitar and stand and heard a snap! Right down on a hard wood floor. I'm in Phoenix so if anyone knows an expert I'd be grateful. This is a terrible first post but thank you.

Last edited:

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
Very difficult to post these but if it will help. The stand was brand new.

The scene of the crime. That 65prri has been it's side kick ever since I moved.

Attachments

• 20220408_120933.jpg
    20220408_120933.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220408_120920.jpg
    20220408_120920.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220408_120851.jpg
    20220408_120851.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220408_125120.jpg
    20220408_125120.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
Here is a photo from happier times with my very first SG I bought in 1996 that has many, many hours played on and has gone through a couple of wiring changes from sweat and rot. The tuners, bridge, and tail piece are still great. Was originally with blacktop Eppy pups but have the 59 set in now.

Attachments

• 20220408_121745.jpg
    20220408_121745.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 121

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
I don't know how to make the photos of a quality and size to fit. Never knew how.

Hector

Reaction score
Oooph.. terribly sorry to hear that!

Hopefully someone can respond with a recommedation of the luthier near you who can fix it...

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
A decent luthier should be able to fit that back on. It won't be an invisible fix unless you have it re-lacquered. But I'm afraid you have been hit by the Gibson curse. It is a horrible piece of bad engineering design that leaves the headstock vulnerable. If only they looked at how Epiphone do this the problem could be all but eliminated.

papagayo

Reaction score
Here is a photo from happier times with my very first SG I bought in 1996 that has many, many hours played on and has gone through a couple of wiring changes from sweat and rot. The tuners, bridge, and tail piece are still great. Was originally with blacktop Eppy pups but have the 59 set in now.

First attach file , select "insert" and "full image" in the same window.

I hope you' ll find a good luthier for this job.

20220408_121745-jpg.47758

DrBGood

Reaction score
Ouch ! Yep it can easily be repaired by someone who knows what he's doing.

The red Epiphone, late 90's ?

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
A decent luthier should be able to fit that back on. It won't be an invisible fix unless you have it re-lacquered. But I'm afraid you have been hit by the Gibson curse. It is a horrible piece of bad engineering design that leaves the headstock vulnerable. If only they looked at how Epiphone do this the problem could be all but eliminated.
Thank you I hope so. I was worried how it cracked along the hardware and nut I was done for. Hopefully I can find someone in Arizona that can repair and if I have to drive far I will.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Wow. That is tough. I've been there. I broke the headstock on my '74 SG many years ago. Today, it plays just fine. I know you must feel sick about it, but it is not the end of the world and it can be fixed.

One important thing: while you are looking for a luthier, avoid the temptation to mess with it. The luthier needs as much of the wood intact as possible. I know it is tempting to want to fit the broken piece back on the neck to see how visible a repair might be. But, every time you do this, you potentially damage some of the wood fibers and make it more difficult to get a perfect fit later on.

Anyway, good luck. Don't feel too bad. Your SG will play again!

living room rocker

Reaction score

I'm in this guy's shop weekly. Take lessons from his apprentice. I've seen similar projects on his bench. It's not close to AZ obviously, but he gets work shipped to him regularly. Maybe at least worth a phone call and pics sent to him.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I’ve heard of so many guitar stand-related accidents that I don’t own one.
I use String Swing hangers at home but the case anywhere else.
Good luck on the repair. If done properly, the joint will be stronger than the wood.
You might want to check with Gibson Repair & Restoration.

fos1

Reaction score
That makes my heart ache.

I hope you can find a good luthier to take care of that work of art.

It can be fixed.

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
Wow. That is tough. I've been there. I broke the headstock on my '74 SG many years ago. Today, it plays just fine. I know you must feel sick about it, but it is not the end of the world and it can be fixed.

One important thing: while you are looking for a luthier, avoid the temptation to mess with it. The luthier needs as much of the wood intact as possible. I know it is tempting to want to fit the broken piece back on the neck to see how visible a repair might be. But, every time you do this, you potentially damage some of the wood fibers and make it more difficult to get a perfect fit later on.

Anyway, good luck. Don't feel too bad. Your SG will play again!
Thank you immediately I wrapped the neck and headstock in a t shirt

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone for your concern, support, and help. I never had children so guitars especially this one because I felt like I earned it rightfully from playing and saving (not that I believe all should abide by)
have brought me a lot of joy over the years along with many other things.

Again this Is a terrible first post and soon I will make a proper introduction but I didn't know where to turn when this happened. I've read about this happening but never thought it would happen to me as I'm so careful with things.

I hope someday I can help someone else. ~Kevin.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Kevin, I have reattached an Epiphone Dot ( ES 335 type head before)

Another friend in NY had a recently purchased SG of his suffer the same fate as your SG and another friend who had a custom made Tele/Strat/LP hybrid guitar snap a head when he dropped it on a concrete floor. It appeared to have landed on the point on the tip of the head. One might ask, how did a Tele/Strat type head snap off? The 6 inline/Fender Style neck had 2 things in common with a Gib. Mahogany and what seems like a modified contour/transition from the nut on down to the flat area where the tuning machine holes are. To my eye from pictures, I think I see it was a bit on the thin side for Mahogany. Anyway, gravity did a number on the head, where if it were made of Maple, it likely would still be in one piece.

Kevinthequick

Reaction score
I dropped it off at Atomic guitars in Peoria about eight miles from me and was assured that is was a simple fix especially where it snapped off. I thought the opposite. Should be ready by the end of the month and quite possibly earlier. I'm in a happy place now. Thanks everyone

pancake81

Reaction score
I dropped it off at Atomic guitars in Peoria about eight miles from me and was assured that is was a simple fix especially where it snapped off. I thought the opposite. Should be ready by the end of the month and quite possibly earlier. I'm in a happy place now. Thanks everyone
Fantastic, please keep us posted with outcomes and photos

Latest posts