Hear That Warning......?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Six String, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Just thinking about something that you don't hear to much about. Hearing. After playing many years, I am at a point where I gig to enjoy, enjoy to gig and play when I want. But I was thinking about the road here. I would be interested in seeing how many out there have the "ringing" like Pete T. and I don't know the medical term........ But it is something to be aware of. I know the gig I played that affected my hearing and know why. The placement of amps and where I was standing, put me in the line of fire of my lead players splitting leads. I only suggest, that if the ear plugs are like condoms to you, then just be aware of where you are in relationship to the sound............. because it can affect what you will or will not hear when you get down the road. 8)

2. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

TINNITIS:

What Causes Tinnitus?
    Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. The health of these nerve endings is important for acute hearing, and injury to them brings on hearing loss and often tinnitus. If you are older, advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve impairment and tinnitus. If you are younger, exposure to loud noise is probably the leading cause of tinnitus, and often damages hearing as well.

There are many causes for "subjective tinnitus," the noise only you can hear. Some causes are not serious (a small plug of wax in the ear canal might cause temporary tinnitus). Tinnitus can also be a symptom of stiffening of the middle ear bones (otosclerosis).

Tinnitus may also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure (blood circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of other causes including medications such as anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

Treatment will be quite different in each case of tinnitus. It is important to see an otolaryngologist to investigate the cause of your tinnitus so that the best treatment can be determined.

3. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Huh? What did he say ? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist

4. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

My Dad has it.
    He's 98% deaf.
    Engine rooms of ammunition ships in WWII
    and masive amounts of quinine(sp)...

I got it too. Genetics? I don't know.
    Not anywhere near as bad as the old man
    Thank God!!!!!

5. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I had ruptured eardrums as a child from infections caused from colds that could not drain because my adenoid tissue was too big.
    They shrank the adenoids by stuffing a chunk of radioactive isotope (radium) up my nose to cook the adenoids so they didn't block the drainage tubes and shrank back.
    I didn't get cancer thankfully but the eardrums are all scar tissue and are stiff as heck. voice and bass notes are barely discernible to me but high notes are clear. Even fly-back transformers and stuff only dogs are supposed to hear is within my range now. Good for guitar but bad for bass players. I used to stand in front of my 550 watt bass stack, crank it up with ear plugs installed to "feel" the notes as I certainly couldn't tell which ones I was playing by hearing. They all sounded the same to me. Guitar is much better and easier to hear the notes than bass was......
    My Brother had the same problem and has drainage tubes surgically inserted that drain behind his ears and he still gigs 2 times a week...He plays a 63" SG with a stock bigsby.

No tinnitus....just wasted eardrums. I guess being in the Infantry during the Vietnam era didn't help either.

6. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Wow, sorry to hear that Spunky. I'm glad you can still rock. :) 8)

7. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

SGmaniac,

I think it was the 4" long needles used for the rabies shots I had when I was 8 that pushed me over the edge! :wink:

8. TNT

TNT Active Member

I have Tinnitus that was a present from being in an artillery unit for four years.And oh yeah, it could also be from a .44 Magnum pistol that I bought when I turned 21.I fired a box of rounds through it with no ear protection because I was home on leave and I wanted to try it out. I couldn't hear anything for two days!

9. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Youch!

10. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

When I shoot (from .22 to 50 cal) I ALWAYS wear ear protection.
    And I try to wear it when I'm cutting grass too...
    Maybe I should when having sex???

11. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

TNT,

You are an animal.
    I tried firing the 50 cal on a range with no ear protection.....
    Paaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnful.

What was really loud was the lightning strike on the transformer while I was stationed at Fort Polk LA.
    I was right across the street and couldn't hear for at least 24 hours.

12. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

I'm not sure what I suffer from..... but I hear dead people. :wink:

13. TNT

TNT Active Member

Jeez Spunky I was a block away from one those transformers when it got hit by lightning. I was IN MY CAR with the windows up and it shook my pants leg like standing in front of a giant Marshall stack! It's a wonder you can hear at all! I have a constant test of the emergency broadcast system and it gets louder when I drink alcohol, coffee or when I'm really tired.

14. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

15. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

I didn't know he died. :lol:
    Anyway, maybe I should since he has at least a few SGs in his immense collection of guits.

16. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

John 5 isn't dead, he just looks that way.
    He's got a Wes Cravens kinda look!
    Night of the Living Dead

I usually see him with the yellow Tele but he has a huge collection of guitars.
    I counted 76 guitars on his website and only 4 SG's
    1 white custom SG w/ 3 hb's
    1 Heritage Cherry doubleneck with p-90's all around SG
    1 Heritage Cherry SG with p-90's, small pickguard and a bigsby
    1 Heritage Cherry SG Special w/ lyre, 1 p-90 and a small pickguard

There are 6 full songs too and I think his style works best with an Ibanez GEM and a Digitech Whammy pedal like Vai and Satriani.
    I have one of those Whammy's and it sucks except if you want wierd non-musical sounds.
    http://www.digitech.com/products/whammy.htm

Is he supposed to be Goth or what?

17. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

I have no idea what he is exactly, but his approach is refreshing a bit.
    A bit more hard core than Vai, less acrobatic.
    Fightin' music, I like that.
    I will try to check out more of his songs.

He could've snagged a role in Romero's newest living dead flick, Land of the dead coming out soon.

It's too bad about that Whammy pedal, everybody pretty much says the same "bad" things about it.
    I had really hoped it would have replaced the whammy bar with a certain degree of satisfaction since I hate those things with a passion, yet love the occasional dive bomb, lol.
    Oh well.....

18. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Wolfy,

I'm 51 and dig all the new stuff......Toys R' US kid here.

Only speed skater on the beach sidewalk my age.

Just nuts I guess!

:shock:

19. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

Well then, I'm aiming to still be nuts too when I'm your age..... although I don't have that far to go (just turned 44 three weeks ago, lol).

p.s. I'm also a gadget freak, I wanna try everything. Knobs make me happy, gives me that warm feeling inside. :D

20. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Wolfie,

My GF has great knobs! :D

But I'm a terminal gear head and have to buy everything and I keep only what I want and use!