HedZeppelin's Tools of the Trade

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by HedZeppelin, Dec 5, 2007.

1. mickeyfrets

mickeyfrets Member

Gosh this is confusing. A key can only be major or minor. Natural refers to the note itself and means that the note is (in this case) A and not A flat or A sharp.

To confuse things even further the A minor pentatonic scale can be used in the key of A minor and sometimes in the key of A major. The A major pentatonic will only work in the key of A major though and not A minor. Some players blend both minor and major scales in the same solo. A good example of this is the solo in AC/DC's Highway To Hell.

2. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Thanks everyone for clarifying!
    Going to give Highway to hell a listen. Probably have it on family jewels DVD too.

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

To add to the confusion you can borrow from parallel major and minor modes and still be within the same key, play off sub fives of five and their enharmonic equivalent as substitutions , and superimpose thirds on top of each other till you finally end on the one again where you started in the first place :idiot: :tickedoff: :dontknow:

4. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Been reading this thread with great intrest. My conclusion is that the academic side of music can get very slippery.
    Regarding blues - I'm into it a great deal and try to learn all the time - to me it's a lot more complex than just scale this or that.
    If you listen to old blues, they "slide around" between minor and major scales (perhaps that is what Voxman meant to say in the post above).
    I think this is evident in Bukka White's Bukka's Jitterbug Swing. The song is happy in mood, but I have difficulties determing if his playing (and singing) in major or minor...
    There is also the whole bending and sliding side of it - with halfnotes and microtones.
    To me, blues sometimes - not to mention be-bop - can get "totally chromatic", almost on the edge of 12-note music (not the Schoenberger style though).
    I hope this makes sense. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm the eternal student...

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

A real lot of Mixolydian and Dorian players in blues too .. perhaps that's why you don't hear Major or minor :)

6. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Yeah, I've been reading about those and other scales, but never delved deep into it. Thanks.

**Correction to my previous post: His name is Arnold Schoenberg**

7. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Before I - eventually - get flamed on this, Bukka White's Jitterbug is definitively in C# major.