Hello everybody

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by laza616, Jun 4, 2020.

1. laza616

laza616 New Member

Hey everybody, Hi
    I am new here, but i am glad i joined you

I am from Slovakia
    Have Been playing the guitar since 2004

I had my first SG in 2009. It was black Epiphone 310. That one was so Bad....the body cracked where the neck is joined. While playing HIM - In venere veritas song....i wont forget that. I had the guitar since christmas and until May i had it in warranty repair three times. The electronics was so Bad and lousy ....but after the crack i returned the guitar. The guitar was never dropped on the floor or anything. Epiphone, never more. 199€ for low quality firewood....

So in 2010 i bought Vintage VS6 cherry. I have the guitar ever since. Actually never had any major problems. Maybe just the fretboard. I doubt it is Made of the rosewood. And the trapezoid inlays are like when you purchase a fretboard with inlays from Aliexpress......wilkinson tuners and pickups are very solid tho! If it was possible i would get the fretboard removed and replaced for better one. It is pre-lawsuit so the body is pretty much like Gibson SG.

And today, finally, i bought my first Gibson SG standard, finish is HC, and guitar is from 2009. A used guitar but only with normal playing wear on the finish. Frets are like new and the fretboard is absolutely the best, nice dark rosewood. I didnt have time to play it yet, but first impression is that the neck is slim and very comfortable, much better than vintage vs6 one altough i like the neck on vintage vs6 too, its just thicker like on my acoustic guitar
    The Gibson is lighter, my back will not even feel IT while playing it.

I prefer 1mm Dunlop tortex guitar picks and 10 gauge strings (i was a fan of Dunlop strings) but the locao music shop stopped getting them so i switched to Ernie Balls.

I love SGs!!! its the best lookong guitar i have ever Seen. Tony Iommi and Mikko Lindström are my fav SG players. Also i love the doublecut as i can reach All the frets so easily
    My favorite guitarists are: Randy Rhoads, John Fruciante and Steve Clark
    Most favorite band is Sum 41 especially the heavier stuff, not the pop punk albums like Underclass hero or All killer no filler

I plan to hand build my own guitar sometimes, maybe SG type body but i also kind of like a Firebird body . Lets see what it will be. But i will only use local materials, i dont have an access to buy Mahagony, Ebony or Rosewood in Slovakia. And i wanna pick the wood myself. Not some random from the internet
    I was thinking about using maple or black locust or walnut.

Yeah that would be it.
    I Also have two acoustic guitars and a bass guitar at home as well
    And another two acoustics i have at my old paps house and my first electric guitar is there too
    I dont play in any band, just for myself at home

voodoomin and Piper68Special like this.
  2. laza616

laza616 New Member

Meanwhile i bought two SGs but Yesterday returned the one so i have now three SGs
    There are photos
    The latest SG is a copy by the Czech brand BaCH or also B&CH. I spoke with their sales manager as i wanted info
    And he told me that they are Made by their Korean partner in Asia (Bridge is Made in Korea), but i think the guitar is Made in China
    It Has silly placed inlays in the fretboard, very Nice quality tuners, unknown pickups and materials are unknown too
    The top is maple (maybe veneer ?) They dont produce SG copies anymore because Gibson took some legal actions, so you Can get this kind of a guitar only second hand as i did
    The guitar is very slim and light, body is slim , neck is slim. The head is Huge so the neck dive is inevitable. The Sound is perfect. I was stunned. The guitar plays and feels like a charm. I would say its better than Vintage, it was the best spent 150€ hahah!!!

The Epiphone i got was 2002 Korean cherry, but i found out it was faulty and the seller didnt tell me so i returned IT back Yesterday
    Now i am looking for some White or Black Epiphone or Vintage Vs6 (not the offset new model)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Worblehat likes this.
  3. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Belated welcome to the forum and thanks for the photos. You got some nice guitars there! I didn't know Bach guitars before, but yours looks pretty cool. How does the body compare to other SGs? Is heavier and thicker than Gibsons (like the Epiphone bodies)?

4. laza616

laza616 New Member

Thanks!
    I did noticed them earlier but only Les Pauls , actually it was quite surprising that they did SGs. So i got one, i was Lucky AF!
    The body is thiner and lighter than Gibson or anything i held in my hands before
    Its so light , i had to knock on the wood to insoect IT if it is solid and doesnt have holes. Its slim, very thin. Actually damn comfortable.
    I think the only disadvantage is the huge and heavy head. I think it sounds better than my Vintage Vs6. The biggest surprise are tuners. They are some random generic but honestly they are better than any tuners i had , even Gibson are lousier, the same with Grovers or Wilkinson on Vintage. I changed the strings the same day, on Gibson i have Elixir and i put Earnie balls on BaCH
    Anyway BaCH is in tune perfectly after two weeks. Gibson Has G out of tune and B as well....
    150€ was the best deal. I couldnt believe when i got the offer when i uploaded an ad that i was looking for BaCH and tel days after this offer came....even that sunburst maple top on SG looks better than i thought. I will never sell or trade this guitar.

I am sure if it had better fretboard inlays and if I changed the pups and electronics IT would have Been probably better than my Gibson. The guitar sings even unplugged like an acoustic and IT sings so well. I cant believe that i got this so cheap hahah
    When i see the Epiphone with its 440€ prices and i know the quality, its a shame because BaCH is much better than any Epi

But anyway i wanna get a proper Epiphone to the collection, but so far i had two Epiphones, both failed miserably. The second one was second hand and who knows how IT was when it was new ....

5. Worblehat

Nice. Sounds like you got a really good deal on that guitar. Too much neck dive would be a deal breaker for me though. With the shape of the SG the variables of bodies thickness,wood density and weight of the headstock really need to match somehow to make the guitar well balanced and comfortable to play. At least for me. I have an Epiphone and a Gibson SG. While Iike both very much, the Gibsons balance is much better. Interestingly enough it has a thinner body than the Epiphone but weights a bit more. Nonetheless it feels lighter when strapped on.

You should keep looking for a good Epiphone. There are many with great quality out there!

6. laza616

laza616 New Member

My epiphones were a little bit lighter than my Gibson, but Gibson is very comfortable on the strap
    It is balanced 100%-ly. Gibson is not heavy but the materials are much better quality, probably the density of the wood is Higher....

Actually i use regular Fender strap, and IT reduces neck dive quite a lot

Now i am focused on getting one Epiphone SG Made in Czech republic (B serial number) from early 2000
    I hope it will be worth it, lets see

7. laza616

laza616 New Member

So i won na auction on ebay and bought this Epiphone Made in Czech republic, year 2000
    Today it arrived and there are some photos i just did after i cleaned it
    I have to replace screws and i have to adjust the trussrod as the neck is a little bowed (previous owner had very thick gauge strings and who knows how many years bending that neck)
    The problem is that i dont have a tool to make it...
    The guitar is built like a tank. Electronics are Well done and every hardware part is unbranded. I dont know if the pups have "X" as i never had any pups removed from any of my guitars so i fear to remove it
    The fretboard is very comfortable, neck is a bit thicker than Gibson i have i think guitar is heavier too. Very solid, very very Well Made.
    Consturction is much better than anything i held before from Epiphone. Its definitely better than Vintage VS6 i have and Also better than BaCH SG i have
    To tell the truth Gibson sG standard i have is not any better built than this. I compared the details and to be honest, this Epi is probably as good or slighlty , very little less good than Gibson.
    I never had MIJ Epi but i had Korean and also Chinese EPI SG, both were not close to the quality of this
    I was talking about consturction quality. The Sound i will test after i will have the neck relieved flat

When talking about the consturction if original Gibson SG is 100 then this Czech Made Epi is maybe 95..... I think i will love this guitar
    And there is absolutely no neck dive at All, the guitar is balanced flawlessly
    The only disappointment were the rusty screws, i had a lot to do when removing these from the truss rod cover
    Rumours say that these Czech Made Epis should have Germany Made (maybe Schaller) hardware? Can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  8. Worblehat

That sounds great! Glad you found an Epi SG that you like. I would love to see more close up photos of the body. I guess there is no veneer in contrast to most modern Epiphones?

My Gibson came with multitool that contains a truss rod wrench. This tool is really nice for any quick tinkering with the guitar's setup:
    https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Cleaning-and-Care/ATMT-01
    Otherwise a dedicated truss rot tool like this will probably do, although I am not sure if the dimension is different for Epiphones:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_trussrod_allen_key_lp.htm

Adjusting the truss rod can make a huge difference in regards of intonation and playability (I just experienced this myself lately), so I would absolutely recommend it.