Hello from a new guy

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by pedecamp, Jun 28, 2013.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Been a long time member of marshallforum, thought I'd check out some of the other forums so I picked this one since I love my faded SG. I got mine in 2005, its brown and I replaced the bridge with a 57+ which I like very much. At some point was thinking of replacing the neck with a straight up 57 or possibly a burstbucker 1 like I have in my LP that I like very much. The quality and workmanship put into my SG far exceeds my LP which cost 4x as much! :cheers:

61SG likes this.
  2. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Ahoy Pedecamp
    Many SG special fans here. You are going to fit right in :)

The 57 neck 57+ bridge is my favourite config for SGs.

pedecamp and dbb like this.
  3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

+1, this is also my fave set-up for a 2 humbucker guitar.

pedecamp likes this.
  4. pedecamp

I only played an SG with a 57 at the neck once in the store just to see if that was the pickup I want, it was a while ago so I'll have to try it again when Im ready to buy. But for sure the 490R that's in there is muddy and lacks articulation.

5. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Hello!!...

57's are highly regarded around here as well, usually claimed to be "the best Pup option for SG's"... I don't know about that, but damn me if there's people here that knows their stuff!!

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

How low is the neck pickup set ? The 490s in my Faded Special and SGJ are not at all muddy, but one set too close to the strings might be .
    Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. pedecamp

Nope, I have the neck pickup top set flush with the ring and the bridge pickup cranked all the way up. That's the best way to set them so the volume is equal so I found.

8. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

welcome and here is another special faded fan. i still have stock 490's in my 2003 i'd change out the bridge pickup if i had the dough but it has sounded exactly as an SG should for 10 years so do i bother? i still have a tone in mind though...
    once again welcome!

pedecamp likes this.
  9. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

at the risk of sounding like a broken record... one more huge faded special SG fan here. I also think the 57/57+ pups are just about perfect. Honestly if I was forced to only have one guitar for the rest of my life... it might just be my special faded with a 57/57plus. You really can cover a lot of musical ground with that setup. Oh and how bout posting up a pic of that SG! There are tons of fans of the special faded series around here.

pedecamp likes this.
  10. pedecamp

When I was shopping for my SG at the time I couldnt justify spending twice as much for a Standard just for the binding and pearl inlays (although I still want one!) so I went with the faded. It was flawless when I unpacked it, I couldnt believe the craftmanship. The more I talk about it I'm gassing to get the 57 for the neck position to finish it off! I've had it for 8 years and never play the neck pickup. I did read somebody say to put a 500 pot in it to brighten up the 490R neck pickup, thats an interesting take on it.

11. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Welcome! Another broken record here as I am also a faded special fan. It encapsulates what I believe the SG should be - raw, dirty and ready to scream! She don't need a pretty dress in order to rock the place.

pedecamp likes this.
  12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

We have a saying here... "Pics, or it didn't happen!". Congrats on the guitar. Nice choice.

Biddlin and smitty_p like this.
  13. Biddlin

Ring? Are your pickups in rings, mounted to the pickguard ?

14. pedecamp

Its a faded. No rings, just a pickguard. I'm thinking of my LP, I have it set the same way.

15. Biddlin

One thought on the balance issue, I just worked on a Special that the pressure of the 11-48 strings on the bridge restricted the motion at the bridge pickup, severely lowering the volume and dampening sustain. Someone had raised the bridge pickup, trying to compensate, but only making it worse. I raised the tailpiece, adjusted the neck, lowered the pickup and bridge and got a very good result . As others have noted, the close placement of the pickup to the bridge means the SGs neck pickups have more signal to work with, so proper setup is crucial to reap the full benefit of the bridge pickup.
    Here's the TP/bridge setup on Five Moons:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Note: tp tilt approximates bridge's .
    Biddlin ;>)/