Hello from a newbie and SG some questions.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Jack SG, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Jack SG

Jack SG New Member

Firstly, hello to all forum members from a newbie in the UK - I'm looking forward to being here.

My interest in guitars goes back to the 1960s and quite a few have passed through my hands over the years. Mainly Strat's, Tele's and Les Paul's. I have been looking at SG's for a while and am tempted by a 1974 SG that I have been offered.

Despite doing a fair bit of online research am still a little out of my comfort zone with this model.

The pics are not that wonderful but I have seen the guitar. Overall it is appears to be an original unmolested SG - a little rough around the edges and with a repaired neck break at the head stock. The repair seems pretty strong but not a wonderful finish on the back of the neck. I suppose it is possible that a previous owner wanted it repaired with minimum disruption to the original finish?

My observations:
    1. Gibson crown not on the head stock - should it be there for a '74?
    2. Tuners appear original - transitional for a '74?
    3. Tremolo is a Bigsby branded Gibson one and bridge looks correct.
    4. Black mini humbuckers in black surrounds look correct.
    5. Serial number looks OK.
    6. Owner advises pots have correct code for '74 but I have not checked these yet.
    7. Fret position markers stand a little proud of the fret board - wood shrinkage?
    8. No strings fitted so would need to check electrics are OK.
    9. Not sure if case is original.
    Would appreciate some feedback from the forum experts ie. are my observations correct and is there anything I am missing?

Thanks guys, Jack

gib1 (2).jpg gib4 (2).jpg gib2 (2).jpg gib3 (2) (2).jpg

2. Carrion

Carrion Member

I do see it has suffered the classic head break. but as I say .. Function .. not fashion :)

LOve it :)

Jack SG likes this.
  3. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

• That's aSG special of that era. It's a blurry photo but the finger board looks like it could use some conditioning ( mineral oil or similar).

Jack SG likes this.
  4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's been around the block a few times, but looks basically like an un molested SG from that period should. I would expect to have to do a full set up (neck/string/bridge geometry), maybe some minor fret work, cleanup and fret board conditioning, maybe clean the pots and electronics a bit to make sure they stay reliable. That would be about it. I usually do all of that with a "new to me" instrument anyway, so I wouldn't count any of that against it. Looks like one that can be had for a reasonable price and make a good player with not a lot of work. The case doesn't look "original" to me, but looks to be pretty serviceable and an OK fit, it should do it's job nicely.

Jack SG likes this.
  5. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Case is late 60’s to 70-ish.

Jack SG likes this.
  6. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Welcome on. Can picture that SG cranking out Sabbath in its heyday. Thanks for sharing.

Jack SG likes this.
  7. Jack SG

Jack SG New Member

Thanks Nigel and I would also do the things you listed on a "new to me" guitar.

I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be on this - Guitar is in the UK and seller is asking £725 (GBP).

8. Roger Phillips

Roger Phillips New Member

I had two of these which subsequently started a collection. Both were around 1973: #136061 with the Gibson branded Bigsby and 181104 without. They didn't have the 'thistle' h.s. emblem, but my 1974 Standard did.
    As the collection got under way and I acquired earlier models the two Specials went to France in exchange for a 1974? Flying V which I needed to complete a '1976' suite: F'bird76. T'bird76 and Explorer all in the same natural colour. Later this suite was sold to and dispersed in London.
    It would be interesting to see how it behaves with strings; neck-break, action considered.
    Unfortunately I can't post pictures on here via my library concession in the north of England, but currently have for sale a '62 Standard with the sideways vibrola- pat# p.us, but with a few issues, possibly my '65 Special (it's the one pictured in Nick Freeth's books) or the '62 'left-over' parts slab-body Special, not a Les Paul. phew- maybe the circa '66 Custom, a la Mr. Jimi's, but that will be hard to part with.
    Concession running out so perhaps more later from a sunny Lake District.
    Roger

9. Jack SG

Jack SG New Member

Hello Roger and thanks for your response.

Would be interested receive more info on you SG's for sale when you are able to - please message me.

Jack

PS. If any other UK members have an SG for sale please let me know.

10. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

According to the currency converter I just used, that looks like around $1,000 US. Based on prices here, that seems a tad high for the condition, but not an unreasonable ask. I am going to go out on a limb and suggest there is a bit of wiggle room built into that price. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask the seller to string it up so you can evaluate the playability fairly before making you first offer. If everything works and it plays like a dream I could see maybe going that high if you like the looks and vibe. It is a well used instrument, but doesn't look abused. That is usually a good sign it has been a good player for most of it's life, and was owned by someone who used it a lot. They would have valued that playability over keeping it locked away where it wouldn't get dinged or scratched up. Guitars with playability issues usually show more signs of neglect, or unskilled repair attempts. Not seeing any of that here though.

11. football27

football27 Member

Welcome to the forum Jack. Plenty of good people here who are willing to help.

Jack SG likes this.
  12. Jack SG

Jack SG New Member

Thanks for the feedback Nigel.

Fortunately I am with viewing distance so will go back and re-evaluate it based on the helpful comments received.

Jack