Hello from Fl.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by RedRiverII, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

New to Florida and Guitars. I bought my first electric yesterday. I went to a couple of places over the last few weeks. I took some advice from the boards and went in search of... I wanted a Les Paul and ended up with a SG. It just fit right, it's not at all clumsy, it's nice and light and seems to fit just fine. I'm not at the level where I could truly appreciate the Standard and it's beautiful finish, one day soon perhaps. In the meantime I bought from Sam Ash with the 48 month payment, that's like $28 a month. I selected the Alpine White, it just looks clean and fresh.

I hope to pick up some good info here.

Logan, Dude, Raiyn and 3 others like this.
  2. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I love those payment plans. I can buy more, but now I'm broke!

RedRiverII likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Pics of the SG?

4. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

pics good idea cg. shortly, thanks.

5. Notes69

Notes69 Active Member

Welcome RedRiverII
    Yea, we're gonna need some pics of that alpine beauty you have.
    The SG is a great guitar for the new or experienced....you're gonna love it. Enjoy

RedRiverII likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Where in Florida are you?

7. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Lake Worth Boynton Beach.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ah, opposite coast. A bit far to travel for lunch with me and some less active forumites.

RedRiverII likes this.
  9. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

You never know Raiyn, thanks for the thought for now. I sometimes drive to Rich Cole's for stuff.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

SOS...SOS... ... _ _ _ ... _ _ _

I"ll post the pics later today of the guitar just so I can learn how. The SOS is a call out to you folks regarding guitar aquisition. I'm a new player entering my eighth week. I haven't been able to locate a general BS section here so I'll post the problem here.

I have just been found out having a new Fender Dual Reverb amp in my garage. 1K. New EPI Sheraton II, 1/2k. I hid it like a child, an errant child BTW, and have just had the sneaking around conversation with the Mrs. I'll own up to the sneaking around stuff. It was a punk type thing to do, and I'm paying the personal chastisement bill for the moment. I have the resources to pay for this equipment and it's not a question of where am I going to find the cash. No one is going hungry and the bills are going to be paid. After all was said and done, and folks the money is not the problem. I feel like a child at being found out. I went from full grown man to an eight year old being caught playing with matches. Weird stuff.

Anyway, during the conversation my wife said " nobody else goes out and buys new amps and guitars before they get good at playing." What say you? I was out of line not telling her beforehand, but am I the only guy that buys new stuff just because I want to? Hmmm, I wonder...

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

"The Backstage" would be appropriate.
    I'm not a great player by any stretch, and yes I've bought new toys. I stripped my G400 down to a body and neck and built it up how I wanted it. I also bought a new Boss Katana 50 in addition to countless widgets and thingamajigs.

It's a given around here that I'm going to modify my toys. I spend tons of time researching and gathering parts slowly, but it's a known thing.

When it comes to the amp, I started "the process" months in advance. I watched YouTube videos about it (and competitors) on the TV when she was home, and generally made it obvious I was interested.
    After a certain amount of time I approached her directly and mentioned that I wanted an upgrade so I could experiment with sounds. She knew I did my research, but she asked a couple probative questions about why this one and not another just to gauge my resolve.

That night I placed my order - which went unfilled on backorder for months. Finally, I said F' this and got a deal on it at my local Sam Ash. While it was a surprise that I just went and bought it she knew it was coming.

I sometimes portray SWMBO as a hinderance to me getting gear, but the fact is, she forces me to be more particular about what gear I buy.

You screwed up on this one: it's not so much the asking, it's the fact that you hid your purchase. The fact that you hid the stuff speaks volumes. You know you've done wrong, now you've gotta pull up your pants and make it right.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    RedRiverII likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Asked and answered honestly as a friend.

RedRiverII likes this.
  13. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

I got it Raiyn. I didn't put it out there for a pooh pooh answer. I haven't taken your reply as any thing other than as a friendly reply. Thanks.

14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! I hope to see that beautiful Alpine White Standard soon :naughty:

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and welcome to the madhouse :h5:

RedRiverII likes this.
  15. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Thanks Logan.

Logan likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This boils down to a trust and communication issue. You didn't trust her enough to let her know what you wanted, and now she may be wondering what else you're hiding from her.

I've always told SWMBO "As long as I know what's going on, I'm cool." 95% of our early arguments were communication issues that could've been handled with a 2 minute phone call or a heads up about a scheduled thing a few days out.

I suspect she just wants to be in the loop.

RedRiverII likes this.
  17. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Welcome fellow Floridian!

RedRiverII likes this.
  18. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

No problem!

19. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Hi ratsalad, unique name there. Reminds me of King Rat with George Segal.

ratsalad likes this.
  20. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Just about completed the chores for today, breaking out the camera soon.

ratsalad likes this.