Hello Guitar Center Exclusive Gibson Custom Shop 1962 SG Reissue Owners!!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chief, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

So I finally landed a 2005 Gibson 1962 SG Reissue that was made exclusively for Guitar Center back in the day (2005 - 2006). I had one about 10 years ago but I reluctantly had to part ways with it and have missed it ever since. When I began searching for my long lost friend a few months ago I noticed there is hardly any information to be found on the web about these fine instruments, so I figured I would start a thread exclusively for the exclusive.

Mostly easily recognized by the factory installed Grover Kidney Tuners, this was the Custom Shop model that came complete with ultra thin "Authentic Aged Faded Cherry" nitrocellulose finish on a vintage spec solid lightweight mahogany body that is beveled as per the original. Thin "Vintage Style" single ply cream neck binding and thin holly headstock veneer for better resonance. A Historically accurate neck joint with original style heel and long tenon which extends into the rhythm pickup cavity for maximum tone.

However the most attractive specification which made these particular SG's so desirable was their own unique 60's Slim Taper neck profile. A beautiful neck carve that fit players' hands like a glove. Not too thick and not too thin... it had just the right amount of girth. (That's what she said:D) I never had to worry with any neck wobble as I do on the necks of the '61 reissues and could comfortably play for hours. I'm not knocking other SG models because I love them all but this one is definitely "The One" for me.

So dear fellows, those of you who are fortunate enough to own and wield one of these beautiful axes please show your support and post your photos and known specs. I'd like this to be the rally point for those seeking to share and gather knowledge on a rare model. I hope to post more specifications that are unique and definite to this model once I've discovered them. I'm hoping that some of you guys will join in and lend a hand to help collect information.
    Cheers!! :cheers:

P.S. I'll have photo's posted of my own personal Guitar Center '62 reissue SG as soon as I can figure out what's going on with my media folder. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Chief

Chief New Member

3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Congratulations, that's a dream guitar right there! Can't wait to see the photos!

4. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

The body carve on this guitar is amazing, it is indeed a rare gem. GORGEOUS!!! Number One on my list of most wanted guitars. You are a lucky man

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I thought mine was a '62 for a while (because according to one serial decoder, the first digit is the year being reissued, and mine starts with a 2), but now that I see the specs, I'm sure it's not. I couldn't find much info on how they were actually different, so it's good to have this thread.

They sure sound like nice guitars, and for $2,000 according to that image, they were a damn good deal for a Custom Shop limited run! My only quibble would be the Grovers, they're not historically accurate, so a weird choice, and I just never liked the look of Grovers. The Slim Taper neck sounds nice. Mine is definitely chunky, not good for shredding and can sometimes get in the way when I want to move around fast, but I prefer a nice handful at the end of the day.

I'm really curious how the beveling is different, as I don't see much of a difference in that picture. And I know the heel shape is different, that was about the one concrete difference I could find before, but I think the tenon is the same. All Historic SGs have a long tenon. A couple of the "unique features" listed in that ad are actually found on all Historics.

6. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

While a beautiful axe, the beveling & horn tapers are not period correct, but in some ways, they are nicer. The closest, but not perfect, to the original 60s body specs was the SG Original, OR the SG High Performance. But they ruined it with that stupid auto-tuner.

7. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

Wonder how many were made..

8. Ponsarelli

Ponsarelli New Member

I have one. Mine has major cherry stain bleed on the white neck binding, and the pickguard is overhanging the body where the point is near the toggle switch. Otherwise I love the hell out of it. And you can't beat the price for a Gibson Custom Shop VOS model! QJSN1823.jpg

bwotw, Mwltsg and JCarno like this.
  9. Rbt1

Rbt1 New Member

Revived this thread to find out if anyone knows what pickups are in these? Anyonone find out production numbers? Also, are these frets the low "historic" style? Thanks, and great idea on the thread. Seems like not many bites!

10. PermissionToLand

Both of those are to be expected on any Historic SG of that year. The red bleeding onto the binding was because they used aniline dye. They even included little cards mentioning this might happen because so many customers complained about it. They stopped using aniline dye in 2007 because of that, only bringing it back in 2013 after they apparently figured out whatever the issue was, because I haven't seen any bleed on new models.

The pickguard overhang has always been the case with Historics for whatever reason. I haven't been able to figure out if it's the pickguard shape being off, the beveling, or the body shape, but I would guess it's the pickguard.

Same as the regular Historics, so in 2005; '57 Classics. 2006-2007 would be Burstbuckers.

Historics use medium-jumbo frets just like USA models. Gibson doesn't release production numbers, but they were built for 3 years from 2005-2007, so probably not super rare.

More info: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki...2_SG_Standard_Reissue_.282005.E2.80.932007.29

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Rbt1 likes this.
  11. Rbt1

Rbt1 New Member

Great information, sir! Appreciated! I have been doing research and contacting Gibson to fill in holes in my understanding of these guitars, so your response is helpful! Would you also happen to know if it is standard on historic SGs of this era to have the low, "historic" style frets that are flat, low and wide relative to the modern medium jumbos of today that are much taller? I'm trying to find out if the frets are worn by way of levels or if they are the lower style I've seen on historic Les Pauls, for instance.

Thanks again!

12. PermissionToLand

Unfortunately, Gibson's customer service usually has little information to give. At least in my experience, anyway.

The frets should be medium-jumbo, according to Gibson's website's specs. I have a 2007 Historic and they're like pretty much any other guitar. Maybe a little less tall.

The Historic Les Paul also uses medium jumbos, although Gibson calls them "Historic medium-jumbo" on that spec sheet (linked below). So that may be alluding to a slightly less tall style of jumbo, I'm guessing. And that's probably the same as they use on the Historic SG.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Burstdriverā„¢-Les-Paul-Standard-Lightly-Figured.aspx

Unless by "historic" you meant vintage Les Pauls.

It's something that drives me a bit nuts when people sell vintage Gibsons with frets worn to hell as "fretless wonders". I can't play a guitar like that, I like to bend. IMO such guitars should be sold at a steep discount. At the end of the day, if you feel they're lower than you're comfortable with, I'd say to get it refretted.

Rbt1 likes this.
  13. Rbt1

Rbt1 New Member

Again, great information, and many thanks! I actually researched some since posting the question and found that apparently, Gibson does do a lower fret version of the medium jumbo. I have a taller version on my other SG that are considerably taller than the guitar from this thread.

Anyhow, research showed some people see frets in the .038-.048 range for these "low" medium jumbos. I am measuring mine at .045 and my other SG is around .065. I contacted Gibson customer service, and yes, it depends on who you get...some are more knowledgable and helpful than others. One great rep confirmed that the historic models sometimes get the lower frets, so I am thinking it's likely that these are just the low version and have not likely been levelled into near oblivion by a previous owner. I remember playing a Les Paul Historic at Guitar Center before and it had similar, low frets. When I played it, I thought, "Who would pay so much money for frets like this? Meh!" Well, now that I have a guitar like it--didn't know they were going to be so low!--I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would. I, like you, prefer a much higher fret profile, but I's not bad, really. That said, if I keep it for the long run, a refret may be in its future!

Your responses are appreciated and help add to the original focus of this thread.

Cheers