Hello I'm new here! Wondering about a ''72 deluxe SG''

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by francois, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. francois

francois New Member

Hey guys, I'm about to try out this Sg tonight, after all the pictures of different deluxe models of the early seventeens im having trouble finding one without a design on the headstock. This model also does not seem to have any screw holes in the body, wich is strange since the models i see online have one or two pickguards.. Is this a legitimate Gibson 72 deluxe with new pickups?

Anyways would love to get some help!
    Cheers

2. francois

francois New Member

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as a P90 Deluxe ?

This looks like a run of the mill Special, with a removed guard and some of the holes filled. You still can see two of them.

$_59 (6).jpg

4. francois

francois New Member

I see, ill look into it. But from what you see its a genuine gibson?

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I'm no expert at all, but I'd say so. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly to help.

Et bienvenue au zoo de la SG. C'est une maladie incurable.

6. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

Le monde des guitares plus généralement haha. Une maladie financière!

DrBGood likes this.
  7. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

AngelDeVille likes this.
  8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

The 60's tribute has dot inlays, the 50'S tribute had the trapazoid.

But the 50's didn't have a pickguard.

Has it been refinished too? Either way nice guitar! If she could tell her story..

A serial number search could reveal the model type and year.

The headstock has the painted logo like my 60's tribute on the far right.

[​IMG]

Hector likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

10. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

First off I do see 4 screw holes that appear to have been left unfilled.

upload_2018-3-6_11-55-27.png

That is uncommon of a 71-72 pickguard which had a raised LP style pickguard. They also had front mounted plastic control panels. None of which this guitar displays.
    Also important to note, there are no screw holes from removed mini-humbucker pickups surrounds! So this either started life as a P-90 guitar or is at this point in the discussion a real good counterfeit.

So let's also rule out the newer 70's SG Tribute types as that pickguard (& fret profile ala early fretless wonder) is different just for starters.

(SG 70's Tribute body shot below...)
    upload_2018-3-6_12-19-51.png

The 70's features this guitar does have is the small block inlay starting at the 1st fret. & the low & extra wide profile 'Fretless Wonder' frets of the 60's & 70's era production. (see below)

upload_2018-3-6_11-59-10.png

It also has what appears to be the 70's era 3 piece neck & volute. I can not see or make out any serial number or 'Made In USA' stamp!

upload_2018-3-6_12-5-42.png

Lots of confusion comes into play when trying to research this guitar. 71-72 models generally fall into what the 71 catalog shows below.
    upload_2018-3-6_12-7-7.png

But trying to align what we see in the 73 catalog (below) with what we actually find is a whole other matter.

upload_2018-3-6_13-40-13.png

72-73 was a time of serious design change. We often find hard to document configurations & this P-90 equipped Special-Pro-SG II-Deluxe who knows what is THE perfect example of that.

What we do have is existing examples of unmolested guitars with similarities that lend themselves to meaningful comparison.

Here is a good example of a dated '73 SG with mini humbuckers (they called it a special but I digress) that sweetly documents some of the strange rarities are found on the guitar in question.

upload_2018-3-6_13-51-25.png

We have found the same plain Headstock with identical Logo.
    Small block inlays,
    Unbound neck!
    3 piece neck (trust me),
    same neck joint,& strap button.
    Also has the same knob, jack & selector switch placement. But...
    Most importantly to going beyond the 'era' & narrowing down the year, it does not have the then new wide travel 'Harmonica' style bridge as shown in '73 catalog!
    (to change out a harmonica bridge for an ABR or Nashville requires doweling in old post/mount holes & re-drilling new post holes).
    It also appears to have the ABR type of bridge used in 71-72 & not a Nashville style bridge that came out around 75.

And just when I was about to say this was the best I could find I widened my search words & actually pulled out a basically identical SG that was dated by its pot codes to 1974! Of course that doesn't mean the guitar in question has to be a 74 but I would put my best estimate of manufacture date from late '72 (model change) to maybe as far as 75 (or beyond?)

Well anyway, here is that '74 SG made into a collage..

upload_2018-3-6_15-33-47.png

And here is the Reverb link where it was found.
    Note; the guitar is sold but still viewable if you scroll down.

https://reverb.com/item/10578523-19...stom-caps-standard-vintage-deluxe-guitar-case

UGHH! After watching the accompanying video with this guitar I now have my doubts about the originality of that guitar as the seller claims being able to see pickup rings / surrounds were removed & mentions the changing out of mini humbuckers!!!

OK, to be honest, despite my not being able to find mention of the OP's as configured guitar in either of the 2 SG books I have & I have been hard pressed to find a duplicate searching the net and yet, I will go out there on that limb & say that this still could be original & needs to be seen in person to truly determine originality at this point.

I would ask for 3 things.
    A better pic of the top showing screw holes.
    A better pic of the headstock showing the serial number & Made in USA stamp.
    A pic showing the control panel & pot date codes if still original.

In closing, there can be some comfort found in that there are other guitars like this in many ways means it probably is a real Gibson & all you really need to end that question is the serial number & USA stamp but,.. determining if this originally came with P-90's is a big factor in nailing down exactly what this is / was & what it is worth & that will a bit more effort.

Attached Files:

Logan likes this.
  11. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Relic61

You are on the right track. I think a person might align the mini humbucker surrounds to those little screw wholes at the corners of the p-90's. I am going to go out on a limb and say that there have been a few hardware changes on this one, but it does look to be a gooched real gibson deluxe body from someplace or time in the 70's.

12. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I would agree with your current assessment.

A little known advantage to these guitars are that they are extremely stable in the neck joint & just really solid & stable feeling.

They're just a real nice piece of old wood to base a guitar on & even get creative without feeling too bad about the 'upgrades' altering originality. In fact, I've always considered guitars like this as essentially coming with Permission Slips to modify as desired because they are already messed with a bit & no longer original!

I say have at it Bub. Go for the gusto. Get Gibby with it.

JazzyJeff likes this.
  13. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Well, to me that license makes it a dream guitar :)

Relic61 likes this.