Hello, just bought an SG, loving it

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Beery Swine, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Finally managed to activate an account. It must have been the complex password I was trying to use, a mix of numbers, symbols, and upper and lowercase. Apparently, symbols aren't allowed. Shame, but oh well.

Anyway, I originally wanted some advice on my first SG. Already bought it about a week ago because I got impatient trying and failing to create an account. I had some logic behind the two choices I was looking at:

Gibson
    -higher quality
    -stay in tune
    -better pups
    -cooler headstock, boi

Epiphone
    -~1/3rd to 1/4th of the price of a Gibson
    -push/pull volumes for SC tones
    -better to start smaller because first classic rocker type guitar purchase
    -less money wasted if you get buyer's remorse
    -read about some real horror stories involving Gibsons

Went with Epiphone 1966 G-400 PRO cherry finish (cuz that larger pickguard is cooler imho) after reading some people saying that some Epis they've played they would've swore were Gibsons that had some minor production defect that they couldn't even notice, so were just bumped down to Epis. I really gotta say, I'm not regretting my decision in the slightest. The push/pulls are great, the guitar is so damn pretty and shiny, and I can only see just a couple flaws, like 2 frets that I can KIND OF feel on the side when I slide my hand down to the higher frets, but just barely and only if I'm *trying* to feel for imperfections, and a nut that isn't flush with the neck, but all the grooves still seem very well placed. Also, this is the first guitar without name brand pups like SDs or EMGs I've ever played that I'm fairly certain I'll never even consider pup replacement. I remember playing an Epi Les Paul Tribute for a few hours at my local shop a couple years back with '57 Classic in neck and a Plus in the bridge, and that's the first thing I thought of when I started playing on clean, dirt, and high gain settings. Everything I played, I was like "wow, this reminds me of that time I played the '57s".

Well, I've rambled for long enough, so tl;dr love my cheap Epi SG, 10/10 for the price so far, but I've only had it for about a week. Hopefully this holds up.

2. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

Pretty sure that we NEED pictures!

3. Beery Swine

Should I just link the other thread where I posted one, or upload here, too?

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

The Epi '66 Pro is a great guitar, I have one as well. The alnico pro pickups that are in it are copies of the 57 classics. I love the sound of mine and would never "upgrade" them either.

The only weak spot on these guitars is the other electronic components. My push/pull pots broke and when I replaced them I used regular ones as I didn't care for the split sounds. Rewired the whole harness and tweaked the tone caps at the same time and ended up with a guitar I couldn't do without.

5. Roca

Roca Active Member

That pickguard is the reason I bought mine too.

6. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Nice guitar! Photos would be appreciated :naughty:

Epiphones website states "Exclusive - Available at selected retailers". Why do they do this? And who are those retailers? It seems really hard to find this guitar here in Germany...

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Strangely, it's not listed with their current models on the Epi website, it's in the "out of production" section.

8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear you're happy with your new SG. ;)

You can get to read some pretty bizarre things on the internet. :) No way any Gibsons get bumped down to to Epis - for a start there are just too many differences in design for the products to be exchangeable, then there's the issue of the products being manufactured on different continents so you can't simply swap onto a different production line, and finally, the fact that Gibson don't seem to have an issue with selling guitars with production defects. :)

The fact is, Epiphone are making great guitars, and no one should be surprised about that.

9. Beery Swine

Thanks, and yeah, I really am. I'm even considering finding some epi alnico classic pros that someone ditched for something else and popping them in a cheap Ibanez RG421 I have. The sunburst finish and chrome hardware would be complimented even more by nickel covers, not to mention the tone upgrade.
    kek, can't argue with that. I'm really not much of a Les Paul guy, but now that I have an SG, I'm starting to think that at some point in the future I'll buy one of those, too. I'm really digging the classic looks and sounds more, even when playing modern stuff.