Help choosing an SG on Reverb

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by GuitarGarrett, May 7, 2020.

1. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Hi friends,

I’m about to pull the trigger on some deals I found on Reverb, and was wondering if anyone could help me choose the best overall option for the money?

I have four choices and they're all giving me good deals.

Basically it's between:

2016 Gibson Sg Special Faded (~$660)

2004 Gibson Sg Platinum ($700)

2008 Gibson Sg Standard ($800)

2020 Epiphone Modern Figured w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups (~$600)

This is my first time buying a used guitar from Reverb so any advice or recommendations are highly appreciated!!!

2. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the platinum, but it seems like the better deal money wise vs the faded. I LOVE my faded SG (it's been my #1 since I got it), but the Platinum is a ltd edition, has an ebony board, and is full gloss (looks like it anyways), same pickups as the faded. 800 for the standard seems reasonable too if you want a standard. I'm used to canadian prices so its hard for me to judge your market (and the dollar sucks right now). So they all seem priced decent to me, with the platinum seeming cheaper than it should (but again, I don't know much about this model and I haven't shopped around for a standard in a long time).

As for the 2020 epi, I'm not an epi hater AT ALL but that one comes down to what value you put on the pickups and if an epi will satisfy your craving for an SG. I've had epis that I liked as much as my Gibsons, but I went through moments of GAS where epis were not good enough (until I got enough hands on Gibsons). And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If only a Gibson is good enough for you right now, get one of those. If you want a very decent guitar (in its own right) and you're very curious about the Bareknuckles, get that one. That's my opinion on these choices...

Wish I could answer better. Just figured I'd chime in since nobody else answered you yet...

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Always the neck.
    I favor the thick rounded neck on the 2016 SG Faded.
    The SG Platnium has a Satin finish with the grain filled.
    I don't do SG Standards.

GuitarGarrett likes this.
  4. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Thanks for the reply! This particular Platinum has quite a few dings and scratches, but yeah, I do prefer an ebony fretboard.
    My top two out of all these choices is the SG Special Faded and the Epi Modern Figured w/ BKPs.

Basically, it's the old question - high end epi vs low end Gibson I guess

5. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

How bout the higher end Epi SG with BKPs?

6. cerebral gasket

I don't have any experience with Epi SG, only the Epi '58 Flying V.

2002-2004 SG Special Faded will have Ebony boards. They switched back to Rosewood sometime in 2004. I had several in the past and find them to be great playing guitars. I still have a 2004 SG Special Faded with Ebony board and had it refinished to Aged TV White, gloss finish with the grain filled.

[​IMG]

7. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Wow that ones gorgeous, how much do refinished like that cost? I love it

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

Thanks.
    Depends on the shop.
    I've had a Flying V refinished for $250.
    The SG was about $400.
    Feels like a completely different guitar with the grain filled.

9. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

I'm actually thinking about getting one myself. Considering a p90 SG. One thing I'd like some opinions on, too, if OP doesn't mind me getting in on his thread, is the neck joints. I've seen basically 2 common SG neckjoints, a longer one and a shorter one. Is either tonally different? More structurally sound than the other? Less likely to neck dive? Things like this. Comfort isn't really a concern for me, personally, as far as the hand-on-neckjoint feel goes, but others might care.
    The longer joint seems to be normal for SG standard and below models,
    sg long neck joint.jpg
    while the shorter joint seems to be on most '61 and above models, in the $1800 and up price ranges.
    sg short neck joint.jpg

Also, for OP, I've bought 4 guitars off of reverb, so don't feel too timid about things. A new Epi LP PlusTop Pro, a used PRS SE 245, a used PRS McCarty, and a used PRS SC 245. All great guitars.

10. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

the SG platinum is only $700 now? prices seem to keep dropping on those...never liked them then...still dont like them now....
    also i'm guessing at $700 it doesnt come with the OHSC?

and since its only $140 diff between the special and the standard...maybe the deal breaker could be the color its in? :p

as for the epi...imo maple caps on SGs are just plain wrong...so avoid.

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

If your budget allows, spring for a Gibson SG Standard. On a stricter budget go for an Epiphone G-400. Then rock. \m/

12. cerebral gasket

SG Classic is my all-time favorite SG.
    That’s why I have two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Tough to pick guitars like from Reverb so I sympathize. I'd go for the Standard, can't fail. I too am trying to get over my prejudice for Epiphone guitars. Must say that the new ones in shops look beautiful, but never tried one as I'm happy with mine. If you don't like what you get you can always re-sell it.

14. Slick George

Slick George New Member

15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What kind of neck profile do you prefer?

16. Slick George

Slick George New Member

I meant 1000hz, not kHz, sorry! :facepalm:

17. Slick George

Slick George New Member

Allthough I have a faded that, to me, has turned out to be the most inspiring hb guitar I've ever played (after modding it) the standard seems to be a good offer, provided that nothing structural is wrong with it. Fadeds will "age" quickly, show where your arm rests etc. If you don't like that, buy gloss. It too will wear off to but not as quickly as a Faded. But if you do, you'll have a guitar that's very personal, if this means anything to you. I find Gibsons are acoustically a little bit better than Epis but I've played stock Gibsons that wouldn't sound as good as a well modded Epi. Well, errh, I think I just contributed to the confusion:wow::hmm:

18. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I’ve never played a standard but I have a special faded and for me it looks, feels and sounds incredible. It’s a naughty beast, really raucous. Those 490 pickups are great.
    I also have a Gibson SG junior 60’s which is my current fave, and several epi Sg guitars but not the one you mention. They are also great guitars.
    Personally I don’t think the epi seems that good value next to the others there.
    I’d go for the faded or the standard.

19. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

So what is the final outcome guitargarrett?