Help - How to maintain Worn Cherry finish?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Jim Kirkpatrick, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Jim Kirkpatrick

Jim Kirkpatrick New Member

This week I have been fortunate to buy my first Epiphone electric guitar.

A secondhand SG Vintage G-400 in Worn Cherry.

I am very pleased with the build quality and the guitar in general.

On the front of the instrument the previous owner left a slight discoloration in the area of the tone knobs.

Very carefully, I used an anti-static (mild) liquid to try and remove these marks.

But, I stopped quickly for fear that I was removing the top layer of the Worn Cherry finish; and, I was in danger of ruining the appearance of the guitar.

Please, does anyone have any advice as to what product I can use that wont take-off the top surface of the finish.

I wish to retain the Worn Cherry look overall.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

03 vintage.jpg 03sg.jpg
    Jim, I'm really familiar with the specific finish on worn cherry Epiphones. "Worn" finishes do have a tendency to shine up where they are touched by the player. my habit with all guitars is to wipe them down with a clean rag, usually an old tee-shirt, after each use. I also use Music Nomad Guitar One polish once or twice a year. If you want to go from the dry look of the worn finish to something closer to a satin, you might want to try a polish like Virtuoso. One of the benefits of the worn finish is that your guitar will have the natural vintage look of a well loved and used instrument and more use will make the "wear" look more even. I would not worry about wearing through the finish as mine have proven pretty tough and ask anyone who has tried to strip and refinish one how long it takes to get to bare wood. Enjoy and play the heck out of your G-400 Vintage. BTW here's one of mine, today:
    DSCN1615.JPG
    That represents about 8 years of being handled roughly for mods and maintenance.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Hey Jim, welcome to the SG zoo :)

What year is your SG ? Epiphone used the Vintage and Worn terms quite loosely over the years. The real Vintage they came out with was built in Korea between 2003 and 2005. A sure way do differenciate it is by the gold logo on the headstock, neck binding, one piece neck, long tenon and no veneer. Biddlin's are good examples of that era. If this is the one you got, you're lucky, there are not many floating around on the used market and it's one of the best SG Epiphone has come up with. I have two of them.

Like he said, the finish is pretty tough on those and what you see is probably honest playing wear. To me that gives mojo to an instrument. It's a proof that the instrument was played a lot. It would also mean that it was loved. It will be hard to make the wear area the same as the surrounding without affecting the overall look. You'd have to treat the whole surface with a light abrasive to get the same satin look all over. Or you could shine it all up. That's what I did to my Cherry and I like it.

170430 2-.jpg

Biddlin likes this.
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Use a Meguiar' s NXT Wax, awesome result :thumb:

My Les Paul GT Tribute was satin finish, after using NXT Wax :

[​IMG]

5. Biddlin

Impossible to really see the finish when you hide the hulk in the case. What's it look like assembled and strung up in the light?

6. papagayo

Look at the top, it' s like a mirror

7. Biddlin

Yes, that's why all one can see is the Pepto-Bismol colored case liner.

8. papagayo

Les Paul T Gold Top 80.JPG

PixMix and Biddlin like this.
  9. Biddlin

That's nice. It looks like it has freckles. That's very cool.

10. papagayo

Pfff .. It' s photoflame ... ;):rofl:

11. Biddlin

DSCN1817.JPG 1lpgts.jpg
    Here's mine, just rub down with old tee-shirt

papagayo likes this.
  12. papagayo

The Tribute are very good instruments, including the SG

Temp 4237.jpg

cerebral gasket likes this.
  13. Jim Kirkpatrick

Jim Kirkpatrick New Member

Thank you 'Biddlin' and 'DrBGood' for replying to my inquiry and your words of encouragement about maintaining the Worn Cherry finish of my newly acquired SG.
    DrBG - my instrument has a sticker on the rear of the headstock that final inspection took place in China, so, I am afraid, it is not the same model as yours.
    I bought the guitar from the previous owner's mother (the chap had "moved away") and, she said it was bought by them new in 2009. I doubt this, because the serial number commences:-12102xxxx - which I take to mean it is a 2012 or '10 model. Nevertheless, this does not dampen my enthusiasm for the guitar.
    As an aside, I also own:- a Hohner 'The Prinz' Tele; a Chevy Strat (Korean) copy; and, a 1986 Squier Tele. The newly bought SG has a build-quality on a par with The Prinz which has increased (on paper) in value by a factor of x three, since I bought it sixteen years ago.
    I am in the UK but buy guitars from Germany and Austria because they are better value for money.

DrBGood and Biddlin like this.