Help ID These 1976 SG Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by lakehaus, Aug 7, 2009.

1. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

Just thought I'd share, cuz I've never seen these pickups from the back until a couple weeks ago when I swapped in some Sheptone Tribute PAFs (frickin' awesome tone!!!).

I've owned this SG since new, and was never fully satisfied with the tone, but accepted it and managed. Then I R&R'd the tone pots and caps after one of the originals crapped out. RS Guitarworks provided the pots, and I got some Russian PIOs - great improvement, and really woke up these pickups. I didn't need to change out the pups, but I had these Sheps laying around, and well... I'm glad I changed them - now this SG is pure magic!

I don't know what model these pickups are... they're Gibson alright, but I haven't seen anything like these. The neck measures 5.22 ohms, and the bridge is 7.20. It appears they're wax or epoxy potted with 2 conductor braided leads.

Can anyone help ID these? Are they Gibson's "Super Humbuckers" from that era? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

They're called "Blackbacks" due to the epoxied back and where found in the mid 70's Gibson's especially the Explorers. They later became known as "Dirty Fingers.

3. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=19591.msg237393#msg237393 date=1249646190]
    They're called "Blackbacks" due to the epoxied back and where found in the mid 70's Gibson's especially the Explorers. They later became known as "Dirty Fingers.
    [/quote]

Blackbacks, huh?

I thought the Dirty Fingers was a super hot output platform (16 ohms) with a full back plate and two rows of adjustable poles... these are like the other end of the spectrum...

4. Dave_g

Dave_g Member

Actually these are known as "Tarbacks" and are pretty typical post PAF 'buckers....now those early "Dirty Fingers" are a whole 'nuther story ! ;)

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

Super hums say "Super Humbucker" on the back with a printed circuit-type pic and are very high output. I had a couple of regular mid-late '70s T-Tops that had the manf dates ink stamped on them. I have not had any pups like yours. Those are like'72-'75ish.