Help Identify this SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by omstrat, Jan 28, 2021.

1. omstrat

omstrat New Member

Hi all , I have a Black SG Special with gold hardware. I believe it's a 1995 . blackSG.jpg Ive yet to see another one like it . I was wondering if it's a special run . It's the nicest playing guitar I own out of quite a few guitars. Sweet round neck. I'd LOVE to find another one like it but I'm not sure exactly what it is ..THANX

2. kevbo82

kevbo82 Member

serial number on the back of the headstock would tell you the year. first and fifth digit. It looks like an SG special that someone changed all the hardware and pickups on just based off that photo and you thinking it's from 95

3. omstrat

omstrat New Member

Yea it looks to be a 1995 .Couldnt tell at first if it was a 5 or 6 , the serial is worn. I put the star thing around the toggle switch. I got it used on ebay a few years ago. I have to wonder then do all 95 SG Specials have that round neck.? It feels great and I'd love to get another backup to it . would that be considered a 50s neck profile ?
    I have a later 90s standard and another 90s in white with an ebony board. The white has a wider somewhat flatter feel and it's no where as nice to play as this black one. The cherry standard feel nice but not that round back like this black one.Many Thanx

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Baseball bat necks are my favorite.

No two necks are identical.
    Even though a specific year may have specs listed for the 1st and 12th fret thickness, the neck profiles can vary between each guitar since the final shaping with the sander is done by hand. It's not only the thickness, but the amount of shoulder that makes them feel slightly different from one another.

The thickest neck that I have ever encountered was attached to a 1970 SG Junior.

[​IMG]