Help identifying a SG model

dub-setter

Reaction score
the body /neck/head can point to a junior,

but the logo and the serial number look a bit "off " to me..

papagayo

Reaction score
Yes, it was a Gibson SG Junior, did you renove the pickguard ?

MR D

Reaction score
Not a Special because of the unbound neck and single volume and tone pots. The logo style is not consistent with any legit Gibson that I ever seen and the serial number spacing looks sketchy. Red flag there are no photos of the back of the body and neck joint. For all we know it may end up having a bolt on neck. The husk has the features of a 66-71 Junior.

The late 60's batwing Juniors are not very popular which is why people are struggling here to identify it. I had a 1970 SG Junior in the past, so this one looks very familiar to me and I can see right through all the modifications.
oops

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Not a Special because of the unbound neck and single volume and tone pots. The logo style is not consistent with any legit Gibson that I ever seen and the serial number spacing looks sketchy. Red flag there are no photos of the back of the body and neck joint. For all we know it may end up having a bolt on neck. The husk has the features of a 66-71 Junior.

The late 60's batwing Juniors are not very popular which is why people are struggling here to identify it. I had a 1970 SG Junior in the past, so this one looks very familiar to me and I can see right through all the modifications.
I hav tried to send you a private message as I do not hi-jack threads....and it is impossible, "OOPS, something went wrong!" keeps popping up, FFS ! it is observational and confirmational what I have wanted to ask you for at least 6 months, as you seem the most knowledgeable and approachable person here at ETSG that may have a definitive answer/opine on what I been wanting to ask.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I hav tried to send you a private message as I do not hi-jack threads....and it is impossible, "OOPS, something went wrong!" keeps popping up, FFS ! it is observational and confirmational what I have wanted to ask you for at least 6 months, as you seem the most knowledgeable and approachable person here at ETSG that may have a definitive answer/opine on what I been wanting to ask.
From my experience in the past, if you compose a message in a PM, it only gives you so much time to hit the post button from the moment you begin typing.

Either type shorter message or compose it in a text editor and then copy / paste the message so that the post button can be submitted before the forum software times out.

There may be a limit on character count in PM. I rarely use PM so do not know for sure.

There are others here more knowledgeable than myself.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
From my experience in the past, if you compose a message in a PM, it only gives you so much time to hit the post button from the moment you begin typing.

Either type shorter message or compose it in a text editor and then copy / paste the message so that the post button can be submitted before the forum software times out.

There may be a limit on character count in PM. I rarely use PM so do not know for sure.

Of course, but whether for better or worse...I have decided to ask you....I will take your above sugesttton and try try try again....Here goes...

MR D

Reaction score

and of course, its not working...but sez something different 'OOPS, We ran into some problems'.....it is not a big dealio or anything, but it is something that I have noticed and practiced for 20+ years.....and I do not go out of my way to impress this on others...not that I would not help another player, but it just never presents itself as a subject to interject int oa conversation...when I set-up a guitar, mine or someone else's, I am usually by myself so it just never comes up...no one complains and players are usually very cheerful when they play their guitar after i am done setting it up !....... so it seems a good idea.

and want to know your opinion of it, as well as how you do this particular move.

Last edited:

Hits0

Reaction score
No "made in usa" stamp.

My guess is a a late 1969 SG melody maker that's been modified.

Originally would have had 1 pickup.

66-69 had small headstock. In 69 they changed to large headstock. And pick-guard changed to a similar shape.

Then in 70 the made in usa stamps started.

If it were a jr, it would be small scale, no?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Not a Melody Maker
Not a Melody Maker
Not a Melody Maker

Junior is not small scale.
We are discussing guitars, not fries.

Good call on no Made In USA stamp.

1966-69 SG Junior husk instead of 66-71.
1971 was last year Juniors were produced from that era. No USA stamp or block style logo as inlay places it no later than 1969.

Recap:
This appears to be a 1966-69 SG Junior husk with added neck pup and selector switch, changed lightning bar wraparound to Pigtail, removed short vibrola, changed tuners, fake headstock logo, sketchy serial number stamping, all assuming that this is not a fake with a bolt on neck.

Last edited:

Latest posts