Help iding the year of my jr?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Bogart, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Bogart

Bogart Member

Hey all! Haven't posted here in years. Lost my savant like touch when it comes to SGs.

Looking to sell this beauty Jr. But I don't know what year it is. I think it's a 69 but not 100 percent sure.

Attached Files:

Piper68Special likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Check the pot codes.
    If original, they will indicate earliest year the guitar was built.

Volute and "Made in USA" stamp did not happen until 1970.

What's the headstock logo look like?
    Most SG Juniors from 1961-69 had the headstock logo as silkscreen with open "b" and "o". 1970-71 they switched to the block style logo as inlay with closed "b" and "o". Also missing dot over the "i" on the block style logo.

69-70 had transitional features that overlapped between the years.

I had a 1970 SG Junior with block style logo as inlay, no volute or Made in USA stamp. Pot codes were 1970.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  3. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

It's probably a 1968 if it does not have a volute, or "Made In USA". The numbers were vague back then, and they reused them, so you have to look at pot codes and features. Hope this helps..

4. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

A picture of the neck joint would help. What is the neck profile? Late '60's they really went all out on the "'60's carve".

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Neck profiles vary from year to year and even within the same year. But the 69 Special, 70 Standard, 70 Junior that I had in the past all had thick baseball bat necks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Funny, just show how they all varied, the 3 or 4 from the late '60's that I played all had '60's neck profiles, I thought it was a sure thing.

7. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

I don't know if this holds true for Jrs., but my '67 Std has an embossed s/n, individual Kluson tuners, exact same pickguard. The knobs are embossed silver reflectors, you can buy vintage correct knobs from PhiladelphiaLuthiers.com for $10 (sets of 4 only, so you'll have a set of 2 replacements and a set of spares) - they're currently out of stock, but put in a stock alert request - don't buy from Gibson, the photo on their website is correct but the knobs they sell do not match the photo, are not vintage correct and cost 3x more.
    As for the neck size, I also had a Jr about the same age, had a thick neck. My '67 has a neck that is almost exactly the same as my (3) Les Pauls- '60 slim profile, except the LP's fingerboards are about 1/10" wider at the nut end than the SGs.
    It seems to me those triple Kluson tuners weren't used until, '68 or '69... although Gibson was never known for changing things right on Jan 1 of each year... i.e. pots with 1969 date codes that didn't get used in '69 got used in '70, until their stock ran out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

The serial in the photo is not completely clear to me, it looks like 806021 (not certain about the first '0') and if 806021 is correct, and based on the pick guard, guitarinsite.nl lists it as a Kalamazoo 1966 or 1969, and I'd lean toward probably 1969; pot codes need to be checked to verify. The others it lists for that s/n- 1958- Nashville, pick guard would be different than yours, and 1974-1975- yours doesn't have 'Made in USA' on headstock and no volute.