HELP is this Gibson SG authentic???

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Frances, May 3, 2018.

1. Frances

Frances New Member

Saw this guitar being sold on a local Kijiji listing; since I'm left-handed, a used lefty SG in my area is a rare find so I'd jump to buy it, but for some reason it doesn't look authentic to me... any dead giveaways that it's a counterfeit? The description says it was made in Nashville in 2001. sg2.JPG sg3.JPG sg4.JPG sg13.JPG

Thanks!

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That appears to be a legit SG Special with gloss finish, humbuckers, ABR-1 and upside down truss rod cover.

1st and 5th digit of serial will be the year.

michaelinokc likes this.
  3. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

That's a funny way to mount your truss rod cover. Also, it looks like the dot in the 'I' is touching the G on the headstock. The pick guard looks like it's off to me to, but honestly, that could just be because it's left handed. For some reason my brain has trouble coming to terms with seeing left handed guitars.....I know they are essentially a mirror version of a right handed guitar, but for some reason they always look a little odd to me....

58pit and rotorhead like this.
  4. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

My 78 came with an upside down TRC. Maybe someone traded it for a R/H TRC.

Good catch. The dot isn't even centered over the the "I". Something about the logo did look wrong, but I wasn't sure what.

Better quality pictures would be helpful.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

The TRC makes no sense to me because installing it backwards makes the "SG" upside down for a leftie. But, that has no real bearing on whether it's a legit Gibson or not.

What gets me is how light the fretboard is, but again, it may have no bearing. Everything else I see looks good.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] 98lthstk.jpg
    The logo looks the same on this '98 lefty.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

Huh. I just noticed my SG "horns" are not symmetrical either. Top horn is higher than the lower. :facepalm:

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, that caught my attention, too. Hard to see the grain, which makes it look like baked maple, not in use in 2001 afaik.

rotorhead likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

It looks real. Horns aren't symmetrical on any SG. Fretboards can look lighter depending on the flash.

A serial number would help.

10. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

yap...
    serial, shot of the back headstock
    and maybe a shot of the electronics/pots might help.

11. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

I've owned SGs on and off since the 70s. Never knew that until now.

Just wanted to share my epiphanic experience with all y'all. I guess you just had to be here... :cheers:

58pit likes this.
  12. Frances

Frances New Member

These are the photos on the listing, sorry I don't have any others! But the serial number is apparently 01241596

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to see it's looking like it's authentic!

13. Steverz

Steverz New Member

Send your photos to Gibson. service@gibson.com . Ask them to forward your email if this is the wrong address. Best too hear from Gibson then hunt-and-peck with us guys. They will give you a 100% or near 100% correct answer. You can also use US Mail to this address, which might be even be better: Send you pictures here:
    Gibson Nashville (USA)
    Electric Guitars

641 Massman Drive
    Nashville, TN 37210

YES...they will answer your inquiry. They have always answered mine and others' I know. Try one or both of the ways to reach them. As for my opinion, I say your SG guitar is a fake. Gibson would not and does not allow such a hugh difference in the size's of the horns.

By the way, I too am left-handed. But, leftie guitars were not available way back, so I learned right-handed. Recently though, I bought my first ever left-handed guitar and am currently learning to play it so I can add to my right-handed skills, not replace them.

rotorhead likes this.
  14. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Its a 2001, made in Nashville

If it is anywhere near $500 US, I would grab it.

15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

They look pretty normal to me - although being 'reversed' does make them look more exaggerated. And there's a shadow behind the larger horn, making it look thicker. Here's a comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Left - this guitar reversed to look R/H
    Middle - a L/H Gibson SG Standard
    Right - a R/H Gibson reversed as a comparison.

dub-setter and cerebral gasket like this.
  16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The horns are clearly not symmetrical as shown on the SG Specials pictured below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  17. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I'd say legit. The case is a 100% Gibson original. Tuners are probably aftermarket, though.

Funny how I only noticed the horns being asymetrical on SGs when I first saw a picture of a left handed one...

Notabot likes this.
  18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

SGs are never symmetrical, and never have been. It's part of the devilish charm.

This one looks authentic. The light color of the fretboard means that it's dry.
    It should be scrubbed with a Gorgomyte pad to get all the crud and dead punk skin
    off it, and then it should be oiled with Fret Doctor. It will darken down like rosewood
    should.

$500 would be an attractive price for this instrument. It also looks like
    someone modded it with Grover Rotomatic tuners, which are likely to be too heavy for an SG. If the guitar nose dives and won't balance... this is why. Something to be aware of. You be the judge. If if does balance, maybe they were factory
    installed. If they are a mod, you'll see extra screw holes in the back of the
    headstock.

It's an easy fix to get those heavy tuners off there and install modern Klusons or Grover Vintage Keystones, or Gotoh or any of several other types that won't cause neck dive. Some players replace the metal knobs only, with something lighter.
    And that can remove enough weight to save your patience.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    58pit likes this.
  19. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

The controls are on the wrong side of the body. CLEARLY A FAKE! (hahahah sorry couldn't help myself, had to make a joke).

20. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Asymmetrical horns stand out more on lefties because you're seeing the guitar "backwards", it'a a perception thing. Also, black SG's make lighter rosewood boards look like baked maple, it it were red or white, it would look like a light rosewood, another perception thing. Someone on here, I forget who, said all black SG's should have ebony boards, makes a lot of sense.

bwotw, 58pit and AngelDeVille like this.