Help me find my”best year” SG

skydog6653

Reaction score
Heritage cherry, humbuckers, trapezoid inlays, and a larger neck are definite priorities.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I don't think there's any such thing as a "best year." There are good ones and bad
ones at any time.

The only way to find your SG, especially if you want to be picky about neck shape,
is to go where they sell them and play as many as they'll let you. Buy the one that
rings bells for you. Color is unimportant, as are inlays or other decorations. What is
crucial is how it feels when you strap it on, and how it plays in your sweaty hands,
and how it sounds through your own signal chain, or one like it.
April 2017@100.jpg
If you play a number of SGs and none meets all your requirements, keep looking.
The more picky you are, the more time and effort you'll need to spend in the search.
But finding the right one is very worth it, when you do.
luna 12-24-17@100.jpg
If you do what I suggest, you might have a lot of fun in your search. You might learn
something, and you might find the guitar of a lifetime. You can't do that if you buy
a guitar online, without ever playing it, and on the advice of strangers (like me) on an internet
forum who know nothing about your music.

Having said all this, I'll also suggest that you look for a 2013 SG Standard... one of the
best ever made. Or any '61 ReIssue, those are always the best IMHO. No generalization
about neck shape is ever very valid when talking about Gibson guitars. The necks all
still have hand work, so you can only pick one by playing a lot of them IMHO.

SG standard

Reaction score
Col looks for any excuse to post pics of his guitars ;)
...and every time I see them I think "I've already read this thread..." He catches me every time. Please Col. take some new pics! ;)

Daniel.S

Reaction score
...and every time I see them I think "I've already read this thread..." He catches me every time. Please Col. take some new pics! ;)
Haha! I would love to see that Silverburst without the pickguard.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Large necks as in thick and rounded?
Avoid anything listed as Slim Taper.

Last edited:

skydog6653

Reaction score
I don't think there's any such thing as a "best year." There are good ones and bad
ones at any time.

The only way to find your SG, especially if you want to be picky about neck shape,
is to go where they sell them and play as many as they'll let you. Buy the one that
rings bells for you. Color is unimportant, as are inlays or other decorations. What is
crucial is how it feels when you strap it on, and how it plays in your sweaty hands,
and how it sounds through your own signal chain, or one like it.
View attachment 30066
If you play a number of SGs and none meets all your requirements, keep looking.
The more picky you are, the more time and effort you'll need to spend in the search.
But finding the right one is very worth it, when you do.
View attachment 30067
If you do what I suggest, you might have a lot of fun in your search. You might learn
something, and you might find the guitar of a lifetime. You can't do that if you buy
a guitar online, without ever playing it, and on the advice of strangers (like me) on an internet
forum who know nothing about your music.

Having said all this, I'll also suggest that you look for a 2013 SG Standard... one of the
best ever made. Or any '61 ReIssue, those are always the best IMHO. No generalization
about neck shape is ever very valid when talking about Gibson guitars. The necks all
Did you read my post, or just the title?

Chrisopher

Reaction score
The best year of SG may be the 2018th coz it could be the last year of SG manufacturer...

Semla

Reaction score
I would have to say sometimes during the 90's. The heritage cherry was much deeper back then and it looks more genuine and less like a toy. You have a good chance of finding a non custom-shop standard with the ABR-1 bridge which to me is far superior. Pickups can always be changed. I would like to try the 490 with A4 or UOA5 magnets in them for better tightness.

Razor

Reaction score
Heritage cherry, humbuckers, trapezoid inlays, and a larger neck are definite priorities.
I have an early 70's STD. It plays great , sounds great. I've had several & this is the one I kept. Slim neck & plays about like my 77 V. Whatever someone else likes makes no difference in what turns you on. Play a lot of them.

TDA1966

Reaction score
My 2012 Std. Ltd. has a baseball bat neck like that on an archtop jazz guitar. The baked maple fretboard is hard as a rock. Besides natural burst, ebony, and white I think this year only came in the darker aged cherry instead of heritage cherry. Steep neck angle, much more so than my 17' Standard T
sg_zpsd2c8cae9.jpg

youtube_profile_zpsd6cjlvjt.jpg

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I'd have to say the 2017 standard just checks all the boxes for me.

I bought it online so I took a chance... the neck is perfect, not too fat, not too skinny.

I just got a 2015 SG3 in today so I need to spend some time with her.

2015, 2017, and 2011

20180301_112650_2.jpg

Hector

Reaction score
Well, in terms of necks and SGs, I've had a 2011 SG Special, a 2013 SGJ, and now a 2007 SG3. I like the 2013 SGJ the best, it slightly edges out the SG3, it's the perfect amount of "fatness" to be comfortable, but that's just me.

I would venture to say that the OP needs to go out and play as many of them as possible and make up his own mind as to what feels/plays best to him personally, as we're all different and so are SGs...

Luis De La Garza

Reaction score
I have to agree with the 2016 Standard because that's the one I have. Neck is amazing, plays like butter.

One-Wan

Reaction score
I’d go with an early 2000’s up to 2012 Standard like koaguilds. I’m about to pick up a 2011 Standard that would tick all the boxes you outlined. I think you’ll find the ‘61 reissues neck profile too slim.

Cheers, Scott.

Westernrider

Reaction score
I don't think there's any such thing as a "best year." There are good ones and bad ones at any time.
best ever made. Or any '61 Reissue, those are always the best IMHO. No generalization

As an owner of two 2013 SG's - one from the first run and the last run by Gibson for the year, I must concur these are magnificent guitars.

Someday, maybe, after I retire, I'll post pictures

Latest posts