Help me find my next SG

skydog6653

Reaction score
I’m not in any great hurry but this time I refuse to compromise. My next SG will have the following specs: Gibson, Heritage Cherry lacquer, rosewood fretboard/trapezoids, humbuckers, large C neck ([email protected] minimum), tailpiece/bridge (no vibrato!). One-piece body is a definite plus. Everything else can be swapped if necessary. What year(s) should I be looking at? Thanks!

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
I’m not in any great hurry but this time I refuse to compromise. My next SG will have the following specs: Gibson, Heritage Cherry lacquer, rosewood fretboard/trapezoids, humbuckers, large C neck ([email protected] minimum), tailpiece/bridge (no vibrato!). One-piece body is a definite plus. Everything else can be swapped if necessary. What year(s) should I be looking at? Thanks!
That sounds like a 1961 Les Paul SG Standard from the Custom Shop to me.
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/CUSNAE888/1961-Les-Paul-SG-Standard-Reissue-Stop-Bar/Cherry-Red

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
You’re gonna be hard pressed to find a Gibson SG with a thick neck at 1st fret measuring 0.86”.

I’ve had a few in the past that were close.

2001 Custom Shop SG Standard Korina.
1969 SG Special
1970 SG Standard
1970 SG Junior

The Norlin era ones will have a narrow nut width.

After playing Custom Shop LP’s with 50’s necks, all SG necks feel too thin by comparison.

skelt101

Reaction score
Okay then. How about a Wildwood Spec 1964 SG Standard? There are some red examples with stoptails at the bottom of the page, most with neck specs larger than .86"...
Wildwood Spec SG

skelt101

Reaction score
47161280_401.jpg

“Nice things cost money.”

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I’d have to stare at a $5K Theodore until i threw up, then order the Wildwood.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
There’s a big difference between an SG with Faded finish and one that has the grain filled with gloss finish.

But once you get past $1500 for an SG, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

It does not cost $5K to build an SG.

A $5K SG does not play or sound any better than a $1500 SG.

It’s not that I can’t afford the $5K SG, it’s the fact that I refuse to waste money on something that is overpriced for what it is.

skydog6653

Reaction score
There’s a big difference between an SG with Faded finish and one that has the grain filled with gloss finish.

It’s not that I can’t afford the $5K SG, it’s the fact that I refuse to waste money on something that is overpriced for what it is.
Perfectly stated! This one here fits the bill (pun intended), but I don’t require a 5K SG either.

skelt101

Reaction score
The main hiccup I see here is the neck depth “requirement” of .86” or greater. To satisfy that, probably only some vintage and/or Custom Shop guitars come into play, and thus the law of diminishing returns. For me, it’s more about the shape of the neck shoulders than the actual depth. My Iommi SG Special felt like a tree compared to the regular model! I don’t have calipers, but the difference in actual depth most likely wasn’t that great. My suggestion would be to check out some of the “normal” Custom Shop SG Standards, or even a USA SG Standard with the batwing pickguard a rounded neck profile, and see how they feel. You might be pleasantly surprised!

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

I have bought at least 2 SG's, in addition, I have 2 Basses, 1 Fender Acoustic, 1 Washburn Semi Hollow
CG, In my case, I CANNOT afford a 5k SG, but I can and will pay $500 for a nice one. My 1st SG is my 1989 3 Knob BLACK SG ( gloss finish but no frills, guardless, no poker chip, binding, trap inlays or fancy head stock. My 2nd SG is very similar in features except full batwing. It is indeed a Faded ( walnut finish) This guitar and the Black one just have IT. Perfect feel, play effortlessly and if I had 10K I would flat out buy as many of these SG's as I could find before considering high dollar versions.

My cork sniffer imposter personality has been known to indulge when I really want something. For bling, I did go shiny, I did go bound neck, I did go, Ho HUM Cherry and sweet TV yellowish Cream colored SG. I had heard great things about Classics, so I went for it. Then to top things off on the SG's I currently own, I splurged, not for the " perfect specs, pedigree of players who use my particular model, or even the go to color, inlay type etc" but instead I bought it because I flat out loved the cream color. This is my 1976 SG Std with small block inlays.

Best part of this story is that I have 4 priceless SG's for not a huge price when added together. Funny thing is I also splurged for ONE Norlin Era LP, and it cost me just about what all 4 SG's cost.

Attachments

• 76 SG family.jpg
    76 SG family.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1976-gibson-sg-standard-alpine-white-5.jpg
    1976-gibson-sg-standard-alpine-white-5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 5

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Neck thickness (depth) is just as important as shape and shoulders. I have found that necks on any SG with the 61 designation, including Custom Shop versions of 61 Reissues are way too thin or flat on the backside for my preference.

Impossible for me to play barre chords cleanly at the first fret with thin flat necks. Need something thick and rounded that fills the hand for support.

My 2004 SG Classic has 1st fret thickness of 0.845" and still feels thin to me by comparison to LP's that I have become used to with 0.90" 1st fret thickness.

Last edited:

skydog6653

Reaction score
Neck thickness (depth) is just as important as shape and shoulders. I have found that necks on any SG with the 61 designation, including Custom Shop versions of 61 Reissues are way too thin or flat on the backside for my preference.

Impossible for me to play barre chords cleanly at the first fret with thin flat necks. Need something thick and rounded that fills the hand for support.

My 2004 SG Classic has 1st fret thickness of 0.845" and still feels thin to me by comparison to LP's that I have become used to with 0.90" 1st fret thickness.
My sentiments exactly! I sold my 1963 SG JR because of the flat thin neck.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
CG, I don't have a mic or calipers, but I will say that my Classic and my Faded have decently thick necks. Pretty sure my Black 89 is no toothpick either. However, my 76 Std has the ol U shaped neck. It is thick, but a 2 9/16 nut width.

Correction of my typo, 1 9/16 wide nut

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

You make a good point as usual C.B....The Guitar is NOT going to sound or play any better than a Standard .........I've always wanted an SG CUSTOM, 2nd only to a Lester CUSTOM.....the MOP Double-Cut Diamond Head-Stock In-Lays/Logo on a Black SG, especially if its GOLD....is the SHIZZLE of all SHIZZLES for me...BUT BUT BUT, I aint giving GIBSON $5 Grand for one ! NO, not even w/48 month 0% financing from on-line retailers...its just fuckin NUTS to pay that much...I leave that sort of thing to the rich guys and the ANGUS YOUNGS of the World that have money they could burn and not miss.

Latest posts