Help me identify this SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NY-Pete, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Rick

Rick New Member

Excellent detective work! I'd say a '97 is worth the work if you want to do it up yourself the way the want to... Case in point is in my profile photo, haven't gotten around to editing all the photos during the restoration, but the upper SG, next to my cat, was a brush-painted black piece of crappola with two poorly wired Invaders that were sold off immediately just to pay off the tankful of paint stripper that I need to bring it down to mahogany. The guitar, sold to me as a 2011, was actually one of those 2000 Specials with the factory ebony fretboard. Yes, the Kahler is my fault... but hey, I wanted an SG that kept tune better than my Vibrola'd '63. Was it a lot of work, for sure, was it worth the effort... OH YEAH!

Von Trapp likes this.
  2. Richard

Richard Member

Wow, someone tried to put some classical guitar tuners in it! And pickup routing was done by hand!

3. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

I know it'll never be worth the time or money I'm putting into it. I'm just doing it for the challenge of bringing this thing back from the dead.

Jujuuk68, Dave and Von Trapp like this.
  4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

dude! you totally have this under control

That headstock is insane. A ric style 12?!?! hard to even start to understand that. can't wait to see how it turns out!

5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

That's a damn cool looking guitar!

6. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

Well, got all of the paint stripped off today to see what I’m working with.

While stripping (the guitar, not me) I discovered a made in Tennessee sticker. I couldn’t believe it survived the stripper, but was completely wiped away with a second pass... 91232D9C-E7E8-4882-831F-591626AFC440.jpeg B157E278-ED64-40F8-827C-84316801F1A6.jpeg 1BD15505-CB62-4C25-81A7-1690DFA3B8A6.jpeg 7824D7BA-A354-40F5-9A72-D6C25B9A48DD.jpeg

Whatever cheap binding they used practically dissolved with the stripper. No worries though, I was planning on removing it and using the same binding that Gibson uses which is a little thicker than what was on here. 60C1D442-893B-42E1-B794-21EB604D14BD.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out how to route the extra depth for the binding. Specifically where the neck meets the body. I may have to take the fretboard off to do it, but if anyone has ideas on how to route it without removing, that would be awesome? I’m open to ideas!

7. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

how bout just dont route the extra depth?
    but put a wood veneer as 'binding'? maybe some maple to contrast with the maho neck.

8. Von Trapp

With this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYBD68U?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 it's a piece of cake. Wouldn't try it with a regular router though and indeed that's why I got the thing. It's also the perfect tool to route for inlays with if you should feel like doing that at some point.

I've also used it to route around pot holes, to make a little step like for the electronics cavity cover, so I could cover the hole with a larger piece. Could come in handy for you as well then perhaps.

As for taking the fretboard off I'd emphatically vote against because it will be pretty fckd when taken off. At the very least the inlays will be cooked by the iron. If you plan to put a new one on, say ebony for instance, then that would be no problem of course. But personally I've found it easier to route it when on because you have the neck to guide you whereas I had a hell of a job getting the taper right on fretboards that were off, you have to build jigs and sh1t.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

I like the idea, but this one has too many holes filled to keep it natural. I’m thinking of going with a Pelham blue and I’m concerned about the difficulty in scraping the paint off of wood vs binding.

I’ve looked at that and have a Dremel that would fit. The problem I see is this thing... does it com off?

0BF18221-D60F-41EA-AAB4-DDC4FD487A98.jpeg

It doesn’t look like it would clear the body where the neck joins. Do you do this by hand using a chisel or something?

197D3748-7615-4114-8F92-FD2DAE421B62.jpeg

10. Von Trapp

The whole brass thing comes off and I guess one could rig something else as a guide. I used the blade of a metal saw to cut a guiding line, or what ever you call it, and then a sharp chisel. Then I cleaned it with one of those really small files that come in a set of various shapes. (don't know what they're called in english) and sandpaper.

Edit: I checked, yes the circled thing comes off as well, but I think you still have to remove the whole thing because the edge above it is still in the way.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  11. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

Cool, I'll definitely take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion!

12. everdying

oh wow, now with an even closer view of the fretboard...even the trap inlays are crooked...i dont think epiphone could even put them in that bad :p

13. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

Lol, yep. It seems like all of the modifications have been complete hack jobs.

14. Von Trapp

Unless you're not too bothered by some crooked inlays (it would bug me to death) why not just get a new fretboard from like Stewmac, perhaps ebony, and put that on instead. Don't know if you've done it before but taking one off isn't really a big deal. (ok, perhaps funds are limited, I realize now that you'd still have to get the dremel attachment to route it for inlays..)

15. everdying

ya, i second getting a new board...that way u dont even need to worry about binding.

16. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

I already have the binding, inlays and fretwire in my cart on the Stew Mac site, but the ebony fretboards are on back order. I’ve never done this before, but am obviously up for a challenge. Lol

If the fretboard comes off, I’m going to replace the truss rod as well...

First, I’ll try to route the existing fretboard while it’s attached to the neck, but if I totally screw it up, I’ll order the new one.

17. Von Trapp

Sounds like a good plan. I'd get the Dremel attachment too if you have the funds, it will come in handy with the inlays as well since they may not fit exactly in the old slots and also perhaps you want to straighten them out.

18. NY-Pete

NY-Pete New Member

Over the weekend, I ordered the Dremel attachment that you suggested and definitely excited to experiment with it before attempting the actual fretboard.

it’s so strange that someone went through the trouble of doing the inlays and messed up the most basic part of the job... making them straight!

19. Von Trapp

Indeed, but then again I can't help but admire the determination and sheer I'm gonna do this sh!t spirit it takes to just get on with it. Especially on a, moderately, expensive guitar. I also like the I'm gonna make this mine attitude. At least he dared to try. Also, what do we know, he might have been just a kid. So yeah, fail on the handiwork but win on the functionality and determination, I'd say. (also I personally think the original guitar looks hilariously stupid and ugly so whatever he did, and how, he actually improved it, lol)