Help Me Identify

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DJKelley, Dec 27, 2020.

1. DJKelley

DJKelley New Member

76466606-07F0-4358-BF90-EDA852A58310.jpeg C5FD2C04-13E6-4860-8260-C07EA428A819.jpeg 930BF6B4-8D91-421D-BA3C-5541D84CEA55.jpeg I just got a new sg for Christmas and it sounds awesome, but when I looked closer I noticed there were trapezoid stickers covering up dot inlays. Also there is no neck binding, the truss rod cover is blank, and the neck pickup is placed differently than the ones I saw online. The headstock has the les Paul 100 logo on it so I looked into it and it seems like it should have binding and trapezoid inlays. The serial number matches with the year it supposedly came from but the guitar looks different than any I saw from that year. This is the first Gibson I’ve ever had so I don’t know much about them. It’s an awesome playing guitar, I just want to know more about it. If anyone can tell me anything it would be much appreciated.

2. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

That’s a SG Special. The dot inlays are correct. Whoever added the trapezoid stickers also added the pickguard as this version didn’t have a pickguard at all. They also either swapped the pickups or added chrome covers, and changed the bezels from a cream-ish color to black as well as the rhythm/treble switch plate.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2015 SG Special

Check the intonation.
    Bridge Saddles do not appear to have been adjusted.

Demon Dave likes this.
  4. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Hopefully whoever bought this didn’t pay the same amount of money for a SG Standard!

5. cerebral gasket

I frequently see SG Specials with chrome covers added listed as SG Standards by mistake.

6. DJKelley

DJKelley New Member

I got it as a gift from my family, they got it from Guitar Center. They said they bought it for $980.

7. DJKelley

DJKelley New Member

It was listed as a standard

8. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Ah man, well that’s too bad to hear. They should definitely go back to guitar center for some money back because this is fraud! The Les Paul 100 Specials resale between $600 and $750. For $980 you could get a real, used SG Standard! It’s still a good guitar, but not worth $980. Guitar Center should know better!

Didds and SGBreadfan like this.
  9. cerebral gasket

10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

The pick up covers is a common add on, pick guard not so much, but still not that out of the norm.
    Stickers though... come on... personally I think that’s pretty tacky. And even if the original owner liked them, GC certainly should have removed them. There is a chance GC got burned and paid a standard price for it. Perhaps that tried to balance there books by doing the same?

min any regard, if you love the guitar take it to guitar center and get some money back. Or, get you 980$ back and buy a standard!

just my .02 C

11. cerebral gasket

12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That price is on the higher end for a 2015 Special, but not unheard of:

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-sg-special-2015#price-guide

Make sure the receipt says it was sold as a Standard for starters. Your parents may have just been mistaken. If it was misrepresented, you should be able to get ~$200 off it IMO. Besides it being a Special, it's also been modified. Are the pickups replaced or just have covers added? Mods tend to devalue guitars in general.

13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Totally worth looking into. GC mis-identifies uncommon gear on the Regular.

Didds likes this.
  14. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

This is exactly what Everyone should do

15. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

download.jpg

Well, if this is what it's supposed to look like I'd say improvements were made. Too much sh!t going on there color wise, looks stupid with no pickguard, pickup rings drenched in mustard and cheap with dots. Although stickers... not the way to go. Yours looks way better so depending on what pickups are in it now, just ask for some money back and keep it. Also, browsing around a bit, yours has a really nice grain pattern. Most seem to look uneven in a crappy way.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    hexwrench, Darryl Fisher and Didds like this.
  16. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

17. DJKelley

DJKelley New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Took it back to Guitar Center, got the money back and got a real standard. They gave me free shipping too. I’ll post some pictures of the new one when it comes.

18. Rob1299

Rob1299 New Member

I went to Guitar Center in Richmond to compare the Fender Player and Performer series Jazzmasters. They didn't have them, and they didn't seem to know what a Jazzmaster was. So I tried out a few other Fenders. EVERY SINGLE ONE was at least an entire scale degree out of tune. I mentioned this to guy the working there, and he said, "yeah, they sit there a long time." Meanwhile, the entire staff was bullshitting behind the counter. They could have been tuning guitars. The guy knew I had three guitars down that needed tuning, and he didn't even offer to help. He just sat there and watched me tune three guitars. I couldn't find a cord to plug it into the amp, and they couldn't find a cord to give me. I asked the manager for a pick. He said "we don't have any." So I tracked down another employee and he dug through his pocket for one. All three of the guitars were scratched up. No discount.

They're blaming their bankruptcy on Sweetwater and COVID, when it's also bad management. You should take that **** back, get your money back, and buy one off Reverb from a seller with a lot of 5-star ratings. Just make sure those ratings are for guitar sales, not pedal sales or ratings that they earned when buying from others. You'll get a better price on a better guitar. Then, take it to a reputable guitar store and ask them to look at it and make sure the parts are either originals or upgrades. There are a lot of shitheads out there that will take good parts off and replace them with crap and then sell it as stock. People who work at a place with "guitar" in the business name should be able to recognize a modded SG. They should pay enough attention to notice that it has stickers on the neck. If they don't, they're sure as hell not going to catch if the electronics have been changed, there's bad soldering, or cheap pickups.

pancake81 likes this.
  19. ALDO334

ALDO334 New Member

Did that 2015 SG model originally have the GForce tuning system. Also I think the brass nut has been replaced.

Norton likes this.
  20. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

Having read this, it appears as if you got someone else's touch up (not a bad thing at all, except for the sticker-bit)...if you're looking for accuracy, it may not work...if you're looking for a great playing first Gibson...you scored for the Holidays...CONGRATULATIONS! It's a Gibson SG! (I'd be excited!) Nice haul! Merry Christmas!
    I've got work to do on my present...
    20201225_173956.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    fuzbuzz78 likes this.