Help me pick a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by gnolivos, May 4, 2009.

1. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

I've been wanting to add a Fender Telecaster to my collection for a while now. I admit I know too little about the Tele's to make an informed decision... so, someone with more Tele experience may be able to help me here?

I know I want it to be a Made in USA Tele. But there are more than a few models (new and used) to choose from.

So, to use an analogy, what would be the closest thing to an SG Standard? In other words, what Tele is the best representation of a true Telecaster in terms of sound, body, pickups, features, etc... not barebones, but not extreme $$$ custom either. That's how I think of the SG Standard myself, and would like to know the telecaster 'equivalent'.

Can anyone help me please?!

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

the american standard teles are hard to argue with. I have never owned one but have played several over the years and liked em all. Not cheap but not crazy expensive like the custom shop ones. I'd get one of those if I was buying one.

3. 8-ball

8-ball Member

I've had a tele custom. It had a HB in the neck position. Don't know if they make 'em now.
    I go with ORF and say Am. Std. If moneys tight I think it'll be easy to find one used.

4. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Yup, just went to SamAsh and played an American Tele Standard. 3 tone sunburst, gorgeous. Sounded like heaven, and VERY easy to play. The Gibsons by comparisons are very unforgiving with the wider neck (IMHO). I guess once you learn o play a Gibson, everything else is a piece of cake!

Like this one:
    [​IMG]

5. pcypert

pcypert New Member

I really want an American Deluxe with the regular headstock. I can't stand the way standard teles look in relation to most players. Love the look and feel of the ADT, but getting a US one means vintage normally and they'll all close to 3K :( I wish the reissue wasn't MIM...

Paul

6. aksaiz

aksaiz Member

I just recently bought an American Deluxe Telecaster in Aged Cherry Sunburst with a maple neck. Guitar Center lists them at $1749 but I got mine from a great independent shop for $1500. It has a really fast action and great sound. These have newer samarium cobalt noisless pickups and S-1 switching. This allows you to run the pickups in series or parallel for some great pickup combinations. I highly recommend this guitar.
    [​IMG]

If that's too pricey try a Highway One series Telecaster. It's not as flashy but sounds great for an American Made Fender. I bought one a couple of years ago as my first Telecaster and it's gotten a lot of play.
    [​IMG]

Art

7. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

True Telecaster? The closest without paying Custom Shop prices is probably the 52RI. Right features, ashtray bridge, 3 saddles, nice maple neck. Just as Leo designed it. O0

8. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

@pcypert: I did not notice anything odd or different on the American Std headstock. What about it?
    Also, the American Stdandard can be had today, new, for about $1500. No need to go vintage as far as I can tell.

@aksaiz: I thought the HighwayOne models were MIM?

9. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

10. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

11. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Ah, Bradsure! I happen to have just that guitar!!!

[​IMG]

[img width=1024 height=768]http://i40.tinypic.com/2ajza4y.jpg[/img]

Any info requested will be given!

12. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Gorgeous blonde!

Im partial to the Tele's with binding on the body tho.

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=aksaiz link=topic=19186.msg232458#msg232458 date=1241514032]
    cut- S-1 switching. This allows you to run the pickups in series or parallel for some great pickup combinations.
    If that's too pricey try a Highway One series Telecaster. It's not as flashy but sounds great for an American Made Fender. I bought one a couple of years ago as my first Telecaster and it's gotten a lot of play.
    [​IMG]

Art
    [/quote]

I've had two Teles similar to that blonde one, in the 70's, and they were sweet guitars. Very much the classic "Tele".
    However that pickup switching system is useful and I'd probably put one in if I got another Tele.
    The black pickguard models are even more "classic" looking.

14. TNT

TNT Active Member

I have a '52RI and am quite happy with it. The neck reminds me of the '65 SG Jr I had - kinda fat but easy to play.
    [​IMG]

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Here is my suggestion on a Tele.

Go buy a CV Tele and put a set of keystones on it.
    I did it and it is my #1...
    If you know my history, then you know I have about all the high end Gibsons and Fenders plus a lot of other guitars.

16. pcypert

pcypert New Member

17. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the standard tele...
    What is it about the headstock that you mention?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean. But hey, c'mon... that Deluxe tele is nothing like the traditional teles... I mean, if I wanted 2 humbuckers, I would get an SG. Oh wait, I have one already! ;D

[quote author=pcypert link=topic=19186.msg232505#msg232505 date=1241575181]
    I never said American Standard. I'm aware that exists new for relatively cheap :)

I'm talking about the Fender Telecaster Deluxe (AKA The only Tele I can stand :D )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Telecaster_Deluxe
    [/quote]

18. aksaiz

aksaiz Member

to Gnolivos

The highway one texas tele's are made at the Corona plant in California

Art

19. pcypert

pcypert New Member

I wouldn't mind one without the humbuckers...I did see one on ebay though with P90's that was pretty nice. But whatever the pickup, I don't think I can own a normal looking tele. If you're under 5'3" or super skinny they look kind of cool...for anyone else you look like a douche :D JK.

Anyone seen the new Wilco DVD by the way? Tweedy is rocking a SG and a Tele throughout.

Paul

20. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=bradsure link=topic=19186.msg232470#msg232470 date=1241527927]
    Like the flame of a Les Paul?
    Like the range of pups from a Strat?
    Like the feel of a Tele?
    Like the quality but hate the price of the US model?

Then this is for you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=320367378473

[​IMG]
    :coolsmiley:
    [/quote]

Be careful with this one. Seems seller has a very similar one for about half the price. :?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320367431064&indexURL=4#ebayphotohosting

[​IMG]