Help Please! Which Mix Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by zisme, May 16, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer

1. Single Guitar Mix

33.3%
  2. Doubled Guitar Mix

66.7%
  1. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

My band recorded a 5 song ep this weekend! At the suggestion of our recording engineer we doubled the guitar tracks (recorded a second take with a different guitar and slightly different amp settings) in order to hard pan and fill out the mix.

but we're finding we prefer the first take mixes with only the single guitar.
    pros as we see them:
    -more accurate and articulate tone; less "heavy"/saturated
    -more room for the mix to "breathe"; especially apparent with drums
    -more "live" sounding; more accurate representation of our sound

cons:
    -less stereo image without the panning
    -bass and guitar occupy more or less the same space in the mix (more centered)

just curious to see what other people thought while we're making tweaks prior to mastering

here's the mix with the single guitar
    http://soundcloud.com/zack-allen/black-book-paper-tiger-raw-mix-single-guitar

here's the mix with the doubled guitars
    http://soundcloud.com/zack-allen/black-book-paper-tiger-raw-mix

thanks in advance for your help!

DrBGood likes this.
  2. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Yeah...The first one sound's more spontaneous and live.

zisme likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Definitively one guitar. The doubled guitar is too dark.
    Good music !

zisme likes this.
  4. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

thanks guys!

5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Nice tune. I prefer the doubled version. It gives things more depth and seriously increases the soundstage which to my ears makes it come alive more, and since you did an actual separate take instead of artificially/electronically doubling, the tracks are not identical and I feel it adds some excitement.

6. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Cool riff! My comment it's not ganna be very useful... but here it goes: I like the main riff better with just one guitar, but I prefer the rest of the song double-tracked, for some reason...

eS.G. and zisme like this.
  7. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Doubled for me for all the reasons gball gave. It kind of jumps out and grabs you a little more. The single sounds great as well, just different.

zisme likes this.
  8. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

Well I think the double sounds better but I understand your dilemma and that you want the original guitar part to be more crisp. The answer for me is to write a new guitar part that is played simultaneous to the main riff but that is different from the main riff in a different register on the fretboard. Then the main riff will still pop and have its character and nuances without being stepped on. The second part would be panned to the other side but at a lower volume, its job is to fill the spectrum but not be over bearing. Usually this part is more sparse creating more space and allowing the main riff to take the listeners ear, but still gives the stereo effect for a recorded song opposed to a live song. Live music fills the room its played in, recorded music fills the speakers in the space its listened back on. Often the energy of a live performance and volume of amps and drums just cant be reproduced with the same dynamic and energy on recordings. Thats why we fill so much more of the song with parts to fill it out in the studio.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I agree with bwotw

10. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

I couldn't hear the tracks. But my 2 cents says, too many ears confuses the mind. You must appoint a producer to have the final word. Either do it yourself, or appoint someone you trust. Just remember, someone will always feel butt hurt. (" I can't hear my part ")
    (" My guitar is not loud enough") (" I can't hear my voice in the mix") If you are footing the bill you make the decision. I find it best, for my projects. To be the one who does all the mix. From dynamics to eq to fx to pans and levels. Sometimes parts might need to be omitted. or rerecorded to fix tuning or timing issues. Just know that in the end. Every time you hear it you will be hearing the same thing. Same bad note at 1.43 or a choked chord at 2.15. Maybe a drum stick hit the overhead or snare mic at 3.08. Guitar not intonated and that Cm6 chord sounds like a train wreck. I can't tell you how many recordings I have done where the entire band was in on the whole mix. And it was a great time, with good friends. But after hearing it over and over, you start hearing the same crap in the same place. Time and time again. pretty soon you don't want to even listen to it anymore. Make it clean, work from the middle out separate tracks with frequency volume and stereo spectrum. But you need to make the call.