Help recognizing a 90's SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by StrayMan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. StrayMan

StrayMan New Member

Hi guys, i got an offer for a "92 sg special" i've searched for the serial number(93100330) and it says it was built on november 6, 1990, however i havent seen any sg with the jack on the side like this one(is a barrell type) does anyone know how much is it worth and if its worth getting?

Here some pics

Attached Files:

2. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

Is the guy offering something or is it a name you price and go from there sort of thing?

3. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

This looks like like a 1990 SG Special to me. Gibson did have a side jack on some of their 1990 models. I don't know if was a standard design at the time.

It wouldn't be the first time they produced a SG with a side jack. I believe the late 70's "The SG" had a side jack. I know my early 80's Firebrand has one.

I don't think the side jack on the 1990 Special makes it more expensive than one with a top jack. I would say maybe $700-$1,000 on the price. Most importantly is does you like the way it sounds and plays and is the price worth it to you.

4. StrayMan

StrayMan New Member

I'm waiting to this weekend to try it, but i actually really liked this.

Its actually a trade for a bc rich jr v that i have for sale locally, he offered the guitar to me

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Take the SG and run... unless you're fond of the BC Rich.
    There's something very menacing about a black SG... most of them are
    the same red. I think it's a very desirable guitar.

It looks totally genuine to me. It has been modded. The Grover Rotomatic
    tuners are excellent, but too heavy for an SG. So the first thing you do is
    play the hell out of it, watching to see if it balances properly. If it does not
    ...if it seems head heavy, the tuners are the cause of that. You can buy
    aftermarket replacement tuners and regain the balance if you wish.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...s/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

StewMac also has close outs on Tone Pros tuners... pounce on your choice of these and get the best for a low price.... but only if the Grover Rotomatics
    cause enough neck dive to bug you like it would bug me.

http://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts

After you've played this guitar for a few days, and made your mind up about whether to replace the heavy tuners, remove the strings, clean the guitar thoroughly, and install the strings of your choice. When I buy a used guitar
    I usually take it to a great luthier I know and pay him to set it up perfectly after
    examining all the connections, the frets, the nut, and the bridge. Tell the luthier
    what strings you prefer, and he'll set it all up for those. It's worth it.

This guitar looks like a killer SG. Getting a pro setup soon after taking possession
    should enhance your experience with it.

StrayMan likes this.
  6. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Gibson did use Grovers as stock on SG's in the 70's and again in the early 90's. Probably other times too throughout the years.

The Grovers tuners are not a modification on this guitar.

7. StrayMan

StrayMan New Member

I actually love the feel of that guitar, its outstanding for a MIC guitar(plus the rockfield fat ass set that it has is one of the best that i've heard), but i dont love Vs :( and i actually love gibson necks, the guitar doesnt look modded at the headstock, but the dude said the grovers were aftermarket, so who knows? I was thinking on some hipshot open back griplocks, do you think that they will be much heavier than the kluson style tuners?

I'll see this saturday if i trade(which is the most likely thing) i was thinking about that, a crowning and full cleanup, see what are those pickups and trow a bkp set that i wanted to try a while ago depending on what they are, this guitar looks pretty good for its age and its 2 years and 3 days older than me which was pretty funny to see.

That's really good to know, i noticed that the headstock looks stock, but the dude said that the grovers were a mod, he doesnt seem to know what he has. I hope it plays nice so i get a mild upgrade over the V.

8. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any Specials being made without pickguards, was this common in the early '90's, I wasn't paying attention then.

9. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Some of the things Gibson did in the 90's deviated from standards. I've seen Specials before without pickguards. Like the side jack, it isn't common, but it doesn't make it any more valuable in my opinion.

I agree, the seller doesn't seem to know what he has. There is no indication from the photos that the Grover tuners are anything but stock.

What it comes down to is if StrayMan likes the guitar and how it plays, sounds and feels.

10. Col Mustard

+1 on that... My point was that he should play it and see. If the heavy tuners were factory
    installed, then the guitar might balance the way a Gibson should. If they were installed in
    ignorance, then it will likely be head heavy. But playing it will let the OP know, and he can
    make up his mind when he's ready.

I suggest the same for the pickups. Play the hell out of it, and see what it can do before
    assuming it needs anything. I'd be fascinated to explore this instrument, to see what mods
    it's received and if they are any good.

11. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

That's a beautiful fretboard, probably ebony, so it's a big plus! If it feels and plays as good as it looks, well....HNGD!

12. StrayMan

StrayMan New Member

Update, yesterday the dude was really sure about meeting and since he was out of the city we decided to meet this saturday at 4pm, as of today he hasnt reported :( i hope he keeps his word about it, either way i need a new sg on my life now lol it was the guitar that got me into guitars in the first place.

I hope he keeps the meeting plan, i had confirned today and no reply.

It is indeed ebony, which is pretty cool and rare to find on sgs around here, this is the V that i'm looking to trade with him.

[​IMG]

13. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

I hope you get to say "Bye Bye V"

14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That Special is awesome.
    Ebony board, side jack and no guard makes it extra special.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  15. Col Mustard

well, the cool part is that there are lots of great SGs out there for sale.
    Now that you've got the G.A.S. you should make a quest of it.
    Go where they sell them, and play as many as they'll let you.
    If you don't find one that comes alive in your hands, go to another place
    where they sell SGs, and play as many as you can.

Even if you have to go traveling, make it fun. Take your lady along and
    treat her like a Queen. Try out a bunch of them. There is no such thing
    as a "good year class" for SGs, unless it's 2013. But there are always good
    ones and bad ones in each year.

People on internet fora like to make generalizations like: "Oh all the 2007s
    had big thick necks..." or "Quality Control in the 1993 class was terrible"
    And that's always a bunch of horsefeathers. You shouldn't buy an SG online unseen based on generalizations from guys who know nothing about your music. You have to play them. That's how you know.

Good luck, and I hope you get a good price for your Vee, and find
    an excellent SG.