Help Verifying a Norlin

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Stella, Sep 23, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, and you might up playing it. The 1 9/16 is a narrow nut width but fully playable. I have a few different neck and nut widths, and I can hop from one to the other with no trouble.

Aesthetically one of the things that never grew on me was the 70’s bridges.

Stella likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Member

No Doubt - he’s very optimistic. And I wouldn’t pay for than 2.5K for it in cash…and that’s if I really wanted it. But as it turns out, there is a trade that makes too much sense for both of us not to do.

papagayo likes this.
  3. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

It does appear to be a 73 based upon the logo.. the condition is very good.. and I have a similar case i got with my SG-62 form a local shop.. he dug around and found me a case back in the late 80's when i bought it used.. my case has pink interior.. may be late 60's or early 70's but same style.. the neck area need the TUBE SOCK as the foam has seen better days in are where the neck lays.. I have rarely seem a guitar of this vintage with this deep of a red.. must have been kept in the case for most of its life.. I love the small nut with rounded shoulder neck profile.. really is comfortable over the flat neck profiles.. the 1 9/16 nut does noy bother me a bit as i have long narrow fingers anyway.. but make chord changes a breeze.. The only thing i am not a fan of is the bridge pickup placement.. may sound darker to your ears being set more forward than typical.. my 1976 has the bridge pup back against the harmonica.. I'd keep this one if the trade is reasonable..
    my 1976 for bridge PUP comparison: Oh, and that is a douglas case from Rondo Music.. was $ 80.. great case.. and dont be afraid of the NORLIN era.. this is a fantastic guitar even it had a headstock break and was refinished.. I put Vineham 6070's classics in there for T-Top sounds.. 20190416_195327_resized_1.jpg

Stella likes this.
  4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

It was also a very popular guitar during the mid 70's that was played by some great musicians & heard on some classic tunes.
    [​IMG]

OK, Jimmy McCullock's (Paul McCs band Wings from 1974 to 1977 & Thunderclap Newman) SG was sans Bigsby but I've seen this era SG in a hella lot of classic rock vids from back in the day.

It certainly was Gibson Good Enough back then. But the Norlin bad rep needs to be perpetuated to keep these great guitars in the affordable price range so.. keep up the good work sir. $4K tells me some people aint gettin it!

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice Tweed case, do you have a link?
    Thanks.

6. Stella

Stella Member

Okay…I have the guitar now.

Opened it up, and found this:

365A928A-6345-448B-A75C-D95C14BF3CA0.jpeg

There was some residue on the pots, so I wiped them off:

9779B7C7-A388-4AAF-98D4-BBA1E1D26A45.jpeg

Pot reads to 48th week of 73, so guitar is either a very late 73 or a 74.

Also, it looks like the side markers have aged unevenly…but it’s kind of cool:

8CB599FD-CCDA-4D92-BB74-4FF5D865F230.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  7. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Got it's years ago.. not sure Rondo music still has them.. I will look.. on a plane ATM..

8. Stella

Stella Member

The guitar tuned up easily with near perfect intonation. Tuners are stable, Bigsby is functional and set up well, with pretty stiff spring tension.

The action is super low, but has no buzzing anywhere. I suppose the short, square frets are responsible for this. It doesn’t appear that I need to change anything set-up wise, other than some nut lube…may as well lube up the Bigsby as well.

The neck width is narrow, but I’m having far less trouble than I expected. Neck depth is medium-narrow at nut, and progressively gets thicker until 12th fret. It’s a very comfortable profile for me.

It’s very resonant and relatively loud unplugged, and it weighs 8 - 8.5 lbs. (will check when I can). I’ll also see out how it sounds amplified through my 53 GA-40 in the next few days.

CF6E8A3D-EEA3-41EA-BF40-ECCADF2CBAA5.jpeg FA878E60-1288-4DF6-A3A8-BF8C57980E3B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    ruster1 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  9. Stella

Stella Member

1C4A67DE-B335-48E9-A62B-3D8B43EF8CEB.jpeg
    DDDC98B2-EF94-4CB0-8105-17CB474DA9BA.jpeg

Chuteboxehero and ruster1 like this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Very nice specimen .. Glafd you enjoy the feel as the neck and frets are different. My frets on my 76 were down to 0.0020 and needed to be changed.. i stayed with wide medium jumbo not to get out from the originality but when those low frets get very low.. its hard to bend strings as you grab 99% of the fretboard.. did you complete the trade or still on the fence?

Stella likes this.
  11. Stella

Stella Member

Thanks. Yes, we made the trade. It worked out well for both parties.

Chuteboxehero and ruster1 like this.
  12. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful guitar. I've noticed on several others the same situation with the side markers. On my '74 it almost looks like over spray or the stain from the neck leeched it's way onto them. At first I thought mine was an anomaly until I saw another listed on Reverb with the same thing going on.

Stella likes this.